2011 PanAmerican Games

This new interest in the Pan American games is great news. From the broadcast of the games on the ESPN Spanish Network to San Antonio, Detroit, and Miami actually bidding for the games. I now think that within the next few years the United States will host the Pan-Ams soon. This might open up opportunities for smaller U.S. cities, that might not be able to host the Olympics, to bid for the Pan American Games. How does San Antonio 2015 or Birmingham 2019 sound!

• Replies 67
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Well... I hope that finally Santiago could bid for a PanAm... after the embarrassing withdraws at 1975 and 1987 and for the Southamerican Games of 2006. It seems that the government is in an interesting race for the sports with the hosting of the U20 Women World Cup next year and the bid for Copa América 2011 announced by the President Bachelet.

I hope that Santiago could finally host the Games and it could serve for a future bid for the Olympics

Well... I hope that finally Santiago could bid for a PanAm... after the embarrassing withdraws at 1975 and 1987 and for the Southamerican Games of 2006. It seems that the government is in an interesting race for the sports with the hosting of the U20 Women World Cup next year and the bid for Copa América 2011 announced by the President Bachelet.

I hope that Santiago could finally host the Games and it could serve for a future bid for the Olympics

Can you give an idea of the venues and possible other plans for Games in Santiago.

Can you give an idea of the venues and possible other plans for Games in Santiago.

I'm sure Estadio Nacional de Chile, would be used for ceremonies and athletics and like... with a full upgrade to individual all seat (conversion of the bench seating essentially), well that's all I know! :P

This new interest in the Pan American games is great news. From the broadcast of the games on the ESPN Spanish Network to San Antonio, Detroit, and Miami actually bidding for the games. I now think that within the next few years the United States will host the Pan-Ams soon. This might open up opportunities for smaller U.S. cities, that might not be able to host the Olympics, to bid for the Pan American Games. How does San Antonio 2015 or Birmingham 2019 sound!

That reminds me: I haven't see a Pan American Games telecast (US English one anyway) since Havana 1991. So it's fallen out of favor on US TV since. When I was smaller I used to watch it at times. It was no Olympics in terms of its coverage, but it was nice to see.

• 3 weeks later...

Guys, the site of Guadalajara 2011 is now ready, enter here: http://guadalajara2011.org.mx/esp/index.asp

I calculated that 1562 days from now is October 14, 2011. We can't get US english television interested in the Games this July, we'll never get them to broadcast them during the football season and the baseball playoffs.

• 1 month later...

Certainly, Estadio Nacional would host the track and field events and the soccer final. Also Monumental Stadium could be used for other soccer matches. Inside the Estadio Nacional park is the velodrome for skating and cyclism, the athletic field, the CAR gym and the Tennis Central Court.

For the sailing events it could be used the Aculeo Lake in the south of the city or even Rapel Lake or Viña del Mar but they are very far away. For mountain bike we have the San Cristobal Park or even in the smaller hills of the Andes.

For the rest of the sports... i have no idea :P

Has Chile ever hosted the PanAm Games ?
They gave up their chance twice or thrice , I think

Twice... Pinochet cancelled the 1975 because of the turmoil after the coup d'etat against Allende... I guess he did it because they weren't able to clean all the blood in the National Stadium to host the games...

Then the Games were awarded to Santiago in 1987... but after the economic crisis of 1982-3, the Games were moved to Quito and then to Indianapolis.

And finally, Santiago was chosen as the host of the II Winter PanAm... but they were a failure in 1990 so the 1993 games were cancelled.

Certainly, Estadio Nacional would host the track and field events and the soccer final. Also Monumental Stadium could be used for other soccer matches. Inside the Estadio Nacional park is the velodrome for skating and cyclism, the athletic field, the CAR gym and the Tennis Central Court.

For the sailing events it could be used the Aculeo Lake in the south of the city or even Rapel Lake or Viña del Mar but they are very far away. For mountain bike we have the San Cristobal Park or even in the smaller hills of the Andes.

For the rest of the sports... i have no idea :P

Twice... Pinochet cancelled the 1975 because of the turmoil after the coup d'etat against Allende... I guess he did it because they weren't able to clean all the blood in the National Stadium to host the games...

Then the Games were awarded to Santiago in 1987... but after the economic crisis of 1982-3, the Games were moved to Quito and then to Indianapolis.

And finally, Santiago was chosen as the host of the II Winter PanAm... but they were a failure in 1990 so the 1993 games were cancelled.

So really Chile's only major sports hosting experience is its 1962 World Cup, which now is a bit too ancient to tout. Chile really needs to host something, anything, soon if it wants to prove its credentials for sporting events.

So really Chile's only major sports hosting experience is its 1962 World Cup, which now is a bit too ancient to tout. Chile really needs to host something, anything, soon if it wants to prove its credentials for sporting events.

Of course we need something... the problem is that the only thing we want is football. We have the U20 Women World Cup and we want Copa América 2011... but we resigned the 2006 South American Games and then we lost the bid for 2010 against Medellín.

Besides, the government is trying to improve the sport infraestructure in the rest of the country. It's good to have 15 really good stadiums in each region... but Santiago won't receive any improvement from the gov. because they want the privates to invest...

• 2 months later...

Quick Update

*Federal deputies toured the construction sites this week. They agreed to give an extra 70 million dollars to speed up the process. Organizers expect to finish all venues by October 2009. Gymnastics dome is being finished and the velodrome is already in construction. Pictures we'll appear soon.

*Guadalajara Organizing Committee signed Wednesday an agreement with the organizers of the Central American and Caribbean Games of 2010, to be held in Mayaguez Puerto Rico, to co host the event in 7 sports: roller skating, water ski. rowing, pentathlon, squash, Basque pelota and rhythmic gymnastics. This will be part of the projected number of 70 events they are trying to organize before the games.

*The site for the PanAmerican Village will be defined next week. Guadalajara Mayor already made a proposal to acquire about 20 blocks in the city's center, planning to give this area a new boost. Most land owners that will be affected have accepted the offer (including the money offered for their properties), but they'll need to wait a little longer so they can begin the works there.

*Today, the calendar counts 4 years to go.

Here is a render of the PanAm village:

villageth5.jpg

• 1 month later...

November Update

* Gymnastics dome is close to completion and its equipment is expected to arrive from France in early December. Formal openning will be in February. Some pictures of the works as they we're in late October, followed by the final render:

gymnastics2011p2lx2.png

gymnastics2011p1ob1.png

gymnastics2011rvn9.png

* Velodrome is already 30% underway, but pictures were taken in late September (render follow the construction pictures).

cycling2011p1cf1.png

cycling2011p2wq3.png

cycling2011rrs3.png

It will be located in the same complex as the Weighlifting Hall and the Shooting Range, which construction started last Monday, with an estimate cost of 4 million dollars for both (renders appear below).

*Federal government just granted 43 millions USD for the Swimming and Athletic venues, to be started next summer. Also coming next year are the Rowing and Canoe stadium (in Ciudad Guzmán) and the handball dome, which will feature two official courts that will be easy to modify for the practice of other disciplines. Total capacity will be around 2,500 fans and it will be in charge of the city's municipal government, in the same place where BMX probably will be held. Another proposed site for the competitions, is Expo Guadalajara (the main conventions center in the country) which is being expanded to be ready for 2008 International Book Fair (the most important of the Spanish speaking nations).

*Puerto Vallarta (largest city in the state after Guadalajara) has been confirmed as the sub venue for Sailing, Triathlon and Open Water Swimming. Beach Volleyball is still looking for a proper venue, since most beaches in the city are inside resorts, but some temporary area may be prepared in another area or even in Guadalajara. The small town of Tapalpa is hoping to be given the right to host the Mountain Bike events, but confirmation will come after the approval of the National and International Cycling Federations.

*The site for the Panamerican Village has finally been secured by the government who will begin the demolition of the present contructions early next year, to make enough space for twelve 7-floor buildings and one 10-floor that will accomodate as many as 8,000 people in 1,800 rooms. It is located in the historic downtown, forming a horshoe around Morelos Park (the first public space in the city) and it is part of a project to revitalize that part of the city.

• 9 months later...

Archived