The Best Olympic Winter Games Ever

mr.x

Of course, the era of when the IOC President (Juan A. Sammaranch) would announce every Olympics during the Closing Ceremony speech as the best Games ever is long over...And we obviously won't know what Jacques Rogges will say until the 28th but he most certainly won't be saying anything along the lines of what Sammaranch has said.

So, with 10 days to go my question is, how has Vancouver 2010 faired so far compared to the Salt Lake 2002 and Torino 2006 Games?

Definitely the best. I doubt Rogge himself would ever say any games were the best ever, but you'd have to imagine the IOC would have an understanding that 2010 is going on strong with massive public interest, a clean, scenic city well-geared for hospitality, and venues with rich winter sports traditions and experts involved. There is no question about the 2010 legacy, it's pretty much already here.

On top of that 2010 is so far going on without a hitch despite 1. Sizeable disinterest and protest in Vancouver, 2. The global financial meltdown, 3. Cypress Mountain turning into mud pie.

The last piece of the puzzle to really see how great the games will be are the issues with transportation. If transit and the venue bus systems run smoothly all will be well.

Of course there's the events themselves, but here with so much interest and tradition in sports it's hard to imagine they would be anything but spectacularly run.

Compared to Salt Lake and Torino, I would say Vancouver has the edge over Salt Lake as far as living and hospitality, and compared to Torino Vancouver definitely has the edge in workforce aptitude and legacy interest. I wouldn't like to say any of the three were better because it seems like each one had a wide difference of challenges, but in light of the financial crisis Vancouver definitely deserves a top nod for not backing down on anything.

• Like 1

It's one thing to be the technical "best." Meaning the best in planning, organization, transportation, accommodation, legacy, etc... factors that are tangible and objectively measurable to a certain extent.

But it's another to be the “best” in terms of atmosphere, resonance, memorability, and in measure of whether or nor the Olympic Spirit shined its brightest. This seems to be the measure in which Lillehammer and Sydney are regarded as the "best."

Vancouver has probably shored up the tangibles, but we'll have to wait for everything else.

• Like 3

^ in terms of how Beijing handled with the quality of its venues and its massive Ceremonies spectacles, yes it was the best Games of the Olympiad but overall with all those people being evicted and a reported 2,000 people dying from both evictions and poor construction safety codes....overall I wouldn't call Beijing that.

• Like 1