Olympic Podiums Unveiled

The podiums were actually built by the homeless and unfortunate aboriginals. One of the 2010 sponsors, RONA (the Canadian equivalent of Home Depot), got these people off the streets and gave them a second chance at life by giving training them and giving them carpentry skills.

It's OK...but jeez, they're only medal platforms...not the friggin' medals. I mean the cameras will barely catch those. that's just like the ridiculous outfits the Athenians and the Torinense gave their placard-bearers in 2004 and 2006...such ridiculously over-wrought outfits. I believe there are other elements of the Ceremonies that need more detailed attention than these; and these platforms could've been so simply but elegantly designed.

The boquet is very good. It works with Vancouver's theme very well. The medal will not be outshine by the boquet.

i was hoping that they actually use amaryllis since its a flower grown during the winter but the bouquet looked like its was just pick then tied together which is something that i really like. the berries on the flowers also adds a nice touch.

Ahh I like the outfits.

Not too out-there, yet still special enough. They're also a bit cheeky, like the Look.

I think Vancouver is setting the standard of creating a truly complete and cohesive visual identity really high.

100% agree! Though I have to say, those trays that the medals are on are the ugliest things - reminds me of 1970's wood panelling.

100% agree! Though I have to say, those trays that the medals are on are the ugliest things - reminds me of 1970's wood panelling.

That's why I love it all so much. The paneling and wood look matches a lot of the aesthetic locally and, lets face, there are still plenty of ugly houses that sprouted up with that stuff all over the Van area. :P

Love it love it love it love it. It is very big! Reminds me of the Richmond Venue.

So I'm guessing one at the BC Place, One at Whistler and one at Pacific Colosseum (for the Figure Skating?). Plus a mega one at GM PLace for the Hockey?

23 different podiums apparently.... for all venues as there is flowers' ceremony on each venue plus the medals one on somes...

But 23 looks high for me... don't remember there was 23 different venues...

Those uniforms are simply horrible! :blink:

Who's the "stylist" here? :rolleyes:

Well, the opinion of locals is high so far anyways. These outfits really aren't that far off of what up to date Vancouver women (more younger side women) wear during the cool months and Aritzia is now even considering recreations for retail stores.

Even something like the jacket that looks like a woven carpet with the giant studded totem design belt wouldn't be unusual to see being worn on the skytrain. I like to describe the local fashion sense as 80's Paris opens a lumberyard. Combining fibrous cold weather classics with dramatic almost evening wear accessories is en vogue, a complete rejection of modern winter wear.

As Heidi would say, in fashion one day you're in, and the next day you're out. People wearing retro coldwear fabrics and fibres with dark hues and subtle pattern motifs are in, while people wearing expensive Columbia style jackets with a million pockets or L.L.Bean style primary thermals are OUT.

Menswear is not too different although the more L.L.Bean side is still "acceptable". Blend that with a touch of Ed Hardy and you've got the essence of everyday BC fashion (for the hip and urban, of course).

23 different podiums apparently.... for all venues as there is flowers' ceremony on each venue plus the medals one on somes...

But 23 looks high for me... don't remember there was 23 different venues...

Perhaps they are making sets of different sizes to accommodate teams?

love the podium - the medal tray (would like one for my kitchen) and the blooms are beaut!

Outfits(or uniforms) - WTF - dreadful - hideous and possibly the worst since SLC. i see where they are coming from but where is the sense of occasion??? the medal hostesses look as though they have been pulled of the street in something from oxfam. I think the uniforms are possibly the hardest thing to get right (try too hard and one gets an airline uniform) and i feel vancouver has failed on this one from these woolen dressing gowns to the volunteer uniforms.

Anyways am sure the overall effect will be visually arresting!