Philippines will host 2005 south east asian games

BANGKOK, Nov 30 (AFP) - Thai Prime Minister Thaksin Shinawatra on Wednesday expressed doubts over the fairness of results in the Southeast Asian Games, as host nation the Philippines is winning far more medals than competitors.

``Normally, I have no time to watch sports but I often watched these Games and kept thinking 'why do results turn out to be that way?' I don't know what to say,'' he told reporters.

The Philippines has a significant lead in the race for medals in the 23rd Southeast Asian Games, with 57 medals including 29 golds. Vietnam and Thailand are second and third with 48 and 42 medals respectively.

While Thaksin stopped short of naming the Philippines, he said he was disappointed by the Game and might raise the medal issue on the sidelines of the December's summit of the Association of Southeast Asian Nations in Malaysia.

``If the SEA Games continue to be like this, then it will become less popular because they have put a priority for medals over athletic spirit,'' the prime minister said.

``It's normal to win or lose. But it's not nice if we host such a Games and do this to other countries. In sports, I believe we have to develop athletic skills and good sportsmanship. We should not focus only on medals and forget about being good sports,'' he said.

AFP

There's basically no coverage at all of the games down in Oz, so just wondering if he has a point or he's just crying sour grapes.

• Replies 96
  • Created
  • Last Reply
23rd SEA Games Medal Summary

(Unofficial as of 2:00AM Nov.30)  

COUNTRY G S B TOTAL

PHILIPPINES 41 22 28 91

VIETNAM 22 23 30 75

THAILAND 20 30 33 83

MALAYSIA 18 13 20 51

INDONESIA 10 17 26 53

SINGAPORE 10 11 16 37

MYANMAR 6 8 9 23

BRUNEI 0 2 2 4

LAOS 0 1 3 4

CAMBODIA 0 0 2 2

TIMOR LESTE 0 0 0 0

TOTAL 127 127 169 423

I'm getting really annoyed now as it's already past 12nn Wednesday  Manila Time and we still haven't gotten results for events held yesterday, November 29 Tuesday from their official website...  :angry:

At least I'm getting some news from the Philippine Newspapers, www.inq7.net, www.philstar.com, www.mb.com.ph, www.abs-cbnnews.com. But they're still slow!

And by noon the medal tally changes.. compare the bold with yr post above.

(Unofficial as of 12:00NN Nov.30)  

PHILIPPINES 42 24 28 94

VIETNAM 25 23 30 78

THAILAND 19 29 35 83

MALAYSIA 19 15 20 54

INDONESIA 10 17 27 54

SINGAPORE 9 10 17 36

MYANMAR 6 9 9 24

BRUNEI 0 2 2 4

LAOS 0 1 3 4

CAMBODIA 0 0 2 2

TIMOR LESTE 0 0 0 0

TOTAL 130 130 173 433

There's basically no coverage at all of the games down in Oz, so just wondering if he has a point or he's just crying sour grapes.

The grapes aren't that sour. World champions and asian champs from Malaysia has also lost to relatively unknown locals. All of that in subjective sports.

Malaysia is the undisputed kings of gymnastics and diving in southeast asia and so far, we've got less golds than what we expected.

When Malaysia hosted the SEA Games in 2001, we emerged the overal champions with 111 gold medals. And in subjective sports such as diving and gymnastics, we got almost all the gold medals at stake. We maintained our standards at the Asian up till now. So, there was no real question of foul play... we were just good. :)

It's really unhealthy to see the host athletes shine in the subjective sports ONLY when they host. After the games, they just disappear among the rest of the SEA competitors...

Now, that's an area of concern.

Another issue of concern is the host including sports that would bring in medals for them and drop sports that won't.

In this SEA Games for example, there is sport called ARNIS. It's Filipino martial arts. A few gold medals at stake there and guess who would get them?

Squash was finally included in the program after Malaysia promised to send only our second team 'coz there is no way any other SEA Games athletes could beat our first team. We still eye for all possible medals at stake for squash with our second team. Anything less would still be a failure.

M'sia Sweep Gold And Silver In Men's 20km Walk

MANILA, Nov 30 (Bernama)--Malaysian walkers completed their dominance in the walk events of the 23rd Manila SEA Games when Mohd Shahrulhaizy Abdul Rahman and B. Thirukumaran swept to a one-two finish in the men's 20km walk at the Macapagal Boulevard here Wednesday.

Mohd Shahrulhaizy who is the defending champion, walked home with a time of 1:35:55 while veteran Thirukumaran showed that he still has what it takes to win medals by clocking 1:36:24 for the silver.

It was the second gold of the walk events and a repeat of the 2003 Vietnam SEA Games feat, as defending champion Yuan Yufang had also clinched the women's 20km walk gold yesterday.

In fact, Malaysian walkers have been ruling the walk events since 1975 when the SEA Games was known as the SEAP Games, with walkers like K. Thirumal, V. Subramaniam, Khoo Chong Beng, P. Ravindran, V. Saravanan, S. Karunanithi, R. Mogan and Nainder Singh to name a few.

No Decision On Women's Changquan Event

MANILA, Nov 30 (Bernama) -- The award ceremony for the women's changquan event in the wushu competition has to be postponed tonight because all the judges have gone back before finalising the results.
Malaysia's hopes were dashed in the third day of the wushu competition when the defending champion in the men's changquan event in the SEA Games Vietnam two years ago, Ang Eng Chong fails to retain his medal and only managed to be at the fifth spot. Vietnamese, Nguyen Tien Dat took the top placing while second place went to Myanmar's Phi Wai Phyo and the third place was won by Arvin Ting (Philippines).

The team manager, Chong Kim Fatt said that the bias judging towards Malaysian athletes continued in the final day of the wushu competition even the Philippines athlete (Arvin) had obviously made a big mistake during the performance.

"I have nothing more to say because the culture here is - medal, medal and medal but for Malaysian athletes we hold the culture of sports spirit, love for wushu and then the last thing we think about is medal," he said.

He said that Malaysia would continue its protest against the bias judging and promised that Malaysian athletes would continue to fight till the end in the events to be held tonight.

Sometimes, yells and cheers alone are not enough

Talk about support and the Filipino athletes certainly has got a lot of it from among the hometown crowd in the ongoing 23rd Southeast Asian games.

But sometimes these are not enough.

Take the case of the diving competitions in where Filipino athletes bowed to the gritty Malaysians.

The yells and cheers of fellow Filipinos didn’t work this time as local bet  Zardo Domenios could only settle for the bronze in  the finals of the men’s 3m springboard Tuesday during the third day of the diving competitions  in Trace College, Laguna.

Bucking the odds, Malaysia scored a double kill as Yeoh Ken Nee won the even with  a 676.41 score while Leong Mun Yee topped the women;s platform to the dismay of the local crowd who were cheering lustily for their compatriots.

Thailand diver Suchart Pichi finished second to Yeoh with a 658.92 score while Domenios, who took the lead only in the third round  wound up third.

Another Filipino diver, Niño Carog could only place fourth.

Leong Mun Yee got the top spot after receiving a 472.86 average from the judges for her impressive skills while Indonesian diver Shenny Ratna Amelia and Malaysian diver Cheong Jun Hoong snatched the silver and bronze medals, respectively.

* A point to note here: several judges were replaced before the day's diving events upon complaints of biased judging that saw the hosts sweeping all diving golds the day before. Even Malaysian world champs finalists were denied of their gold medal chances.

BANGKOK, Nov 30 (AFP) - Thai Prime Minister Thaksin Shinawatra on Wednesday expressed doubts over the fairness of results in the Southeast Asian Games, as host nation the Philippines is winning far more medals than competitors.

``Normally, I have no time to watch sports but I often watched these Games and kept thinking 'why do results turn out to be that way?' I don't know what to say,'' he told reporters.

The Philippines has a significant lead in the race for medals in the 23rd Southeast Asian Games, with 57 medals including 29 golds. Vietnam and Thailand are second and third with 48 and 42 medals respectively.

While Thaksin stopped short of naming the Philippines, he said he was disappointed by the Game and might raise the medal issue on the sidelines of the December's summit of the Association of Southeast Asian Nations in Malaysia.

``If the SEA Games continue to be like this, then it will become less popular because they have put a priority for medals over athletic spirit,'' the prime minister said.

``It's normal to win or lose. But it's not nice if we host such a Games and do this to other countries. In sports, I believe we have to develop athletic skills and good sportsmanship. We should not focus only on medals and forget about being good sports,'' he said.

AFP

This is just pure sour grapes. This is coming from a country who hosted in 1995 which garnered more than 150 Gold Medals. Sad but true, this is normal in the SEA Games. 1997, Indonesia hosted, they got more than 170 Golds and broke the record.

(Unofficial as of 7:00PM Nov.30)  

COUNTRY G S B TOTAL

PHILIPPINES 49 28 32 109

VIETNAM 30 30 33 93

THAILAND 23 35 43 101

MALAYSIA 20 18 23 61

INDONESIA 15 21 30 66

SINGAPORE 10 11 19 40

MYANMAR 8 9 17 34

LAOS 0 2 3 5

BRUNEI 0 2 2 4

CAMBODIA 0 0 2 2

TIMOR LESTE 0 0 0 0

TOTAL 155 156 204 515

AFP

This is just pure sour grapes. This is coming from a country who hosted in 1995 which garnered more than 150 Gold Medals. Sad but true, this is normal in the SEA Games. 1997, Indonesia hosted, they got more than 170 Golds and broke the record.

(Unofficial as of 7:00PM Nov.30)  

COUNTRY G S B TOTAL

PHILIPPINES 49 28 32 109

VIETNAM 30 30 33 93

THAILAND 23 35 43 101

MALAYSIA 20 18 23 61

INDONESIA 15 21 30 66

SINGAPORE 10 11 19 40

MYANMAR 8 9 17 34

LAOS 0 2 3 5

BRUNEI 0 2 2 4

CAMBODIA 0 0 2 2

TIMOR LESTE 0 0 0 0

TOTAL 155 156 204 515

Singapore now 13 gold medals and Indonesia with 17 gold

Medal Tally for Singapore   ( As of 30 Nov , 11pm

Sport                      G  S  B   Total

-----------------------------------------------------------

Swimming                5  5  5      15

Athletics                 3  1  4       8

Shooting                 2  3  4       9

Wushu                    1  1  2       4

Table Tennis            1  0  0       1

Gymnastics              1  0  0       1

Water Polo              1  0  0        1

Billiards and Snooker  0  1  2       3

Rowing                    0  1  1       2

Chess                     0  0  2       2

Fencing                  0   0  2       2

Karate                   0   0  2       2

-----------------------------------------------------------

TOTAL                 14  13 23  50

I am wondering why Thais are getting so upset about them not performing that well in the SEAG, It was just about two months ago when their officials made ocular inspections of the venues to used for the event that they said they're not gunning for the over-all championship because they are too busy about the Asian Indoors also held weeks before the SEAG.

He (Thaksin) is harpying about the country's "significant" lead? Then if does bring this "issue" to the Federation then might as well question Vietnam's mega-humongous lead over the others when they hosted in 2003.  

As of press time the Philippines is leading by more than 20 golds from its nearest country which is Vietnam (not Thailand) so maybe he should likewise think about including Vietnam while lodging their complaint and name them as an accomplice.

Similar incidents like this occured a week before the Games when a Vietnamese official said that the Philippines was already programmed to win the most number of medals and in effect be the Overall Champions, It has even reached to a point when a lawmaker wanted to have that official declared persona non grata to barr him from entering the country.

True, as hosts, we may have certain powers to inject sports that our athletes excel at but I can personnally say that it wasn't as flagrant as the last one. I think the new sports that have been added that the country excels at is arnis and dancesport (which amounts to about  golds only).

I fully support hence, that when the country (Philippines) turns over the hosting rights to Thailand on Monday they take seriously the suggestion of a Malaysian sports official to include only Olympic sanctioned sports to the Games' schedule and not add more to it. This will just be logical and will be helpful in truly improving the region's performance in higher level competitions (Olympics).

There are still four days before the SEA Games ends in Monday,The D-Day will be in Sunday where a total of 100 golds will be up for grabs, so the race is not yet over.

The grapes aren't that sour. World champions and asian champs from Malaysia has also lost to relatively unknown locals. All of that in subjective sports.

Malaysia is the undisputed kings of gymnastics and diving in southeast asia and so far, we've got less golds than what we expected.

When Malaysia hosted the SEA Games in 2001, we emerged the overal champions with 111 gold medals. And in subjective sports such as diving and gymnastics, we got almost all the gold medals at stake. We maintained our standards at the Asian up till now. So, there was no real question of foul play... we were just good. :)

It's really unhealthy to see the host athletes shine in the subjective sports ONLY when they host. After the games, they just disappear among the rest of the SEA competitors...

Fact: Yes! Malaysia did became the over all champs in 2001,

Question: What was Malaysias's standing in the SEAG of Vietnam two years after? (Talk about home court advantage)

Why harpy on the Philippines' early lead? its' just the fourth day of competition, the day of reckoning has yet to happen. If you want an example of "home court advantage" being used in SEAG standings try going back two years ago.

Maybe! Malaysia maybe great in gymnastics for all I care, but can you likewise check on the SEAG website (as you have done in your other posts) on what place the Philippines right now is in gymnastics?

Though the country is in a lead,its not always roses and champagne for the Philippines' athletes you know.

Tidbit: The country hosted the SEAG in 1991, in the final day just moments away from the closing, Indonesia topped the country's haul of 91 golds by having 92. That year was the nearest that we got to the championship, EVER. We didn't complaint, the Filipinos'still basked in that glory despite the bridesmaid finish.Imagine our shouldda-couldda-woulddas then? If the country won't win the over-all championship,i'd bet you, everything's going to be fine by us, i think we have not reached that point to become that desperate.

Another point, about the Thai issue, the Philippines' bet for long-distance running Eduardo Buenavista got disqualified in one of the athletics events for usurping the lane for the Thai runner. Despite finishing first, officials stripped him of his gold medal. Fair enough?

It's just funny to think that it was a Thai official who's complaining. The nearest that I could think of was when Thailand last hosted in 1995 in which, they won the boxing competitions, winning all divisions! How's that for fixing? It was I guess the reason why Indonesia was challenged to surpass what the Thais did in 1995, that they won in 1997 194 Gold Medals!

By the way, the Thais might be upset too that 2 of their losses in the boxing competitions were from Filipinos! One was a referee stopped fight score at 19-4, and a 26-14 beating!

Like I've said on my previous posts, this trend in SEA Games hosting sadly is mostly true. Especially if its Thailand or Indonesia hosting.

Information is just really slow to update on the internet and I've found this. This is the latest medal tally...

Unruffled by assertions of unfair officiating, Team Philippines seized 17 gold medals yesterday as it continued to set the trend and show the way in the 23rd Southeast Asian Games.

An Internet report where Thai Prime Minister Thaksin Shinawatra "expressed doubts over fair scoring" greeted the hundreds of RP athletes even before the first of the day’s 64 gold medals was disputed.

But the resilient Filipinos showed no ill effects as Sheila Mae Perez, the diver from Davao, ruled the 1-meter springboard in Los Banos, and became the country’s first triple-gold winner in this SEAG edition.

It was the first gold for the day for the hosts. Her fellow Filipino athletes simply followed suit.

And as of 11 last night, Team Philippines kept its grip on the overall lead with 58 gold, 38 silver and 44 bronze medals with five action-packed days left.

Vietnam, the reigning overall champion, is still lurking behind with 39-33-40, followed by mighty dangerous Thailand at 29-45-51, Malaysia at 23-21-22 and Indonesia at 17-25-33.

Follow the article here

Question: What was Malaysias's standing in the SEAG of Vietnam two years after? (Talk about home court advantage)

Among some of the reasons why Malaysia did not fare well at the Vietnam SEA Games was that many sports that were contested in KL was not contested in Vietnam. For some of the sports that Malaysia is strong in, the number of medals contested were reduced (e.g. squash from 4 to 2, rhythmic gymnastics from 5 to 1, diving from 10 to 4.. or something like that).

Another major reason was that the Vietnamese has conducted a strong sports program in preparing for their first SEA Games that made them superior to the Malaysians. Many Malaysians lost their gold medals to them.

Many Malaysia gold medal athletes were at their prime at that time and they have retired after the KL SEA Games.

Malaysia did not have a specific sports program for the SEA Games since there were no other sports at the Asian level during that time.

Now Malaysia has the 2006 program that is targetted at the Asian Games and Commonwealth Games in 2006. It has been going on for a few years involving some 800 athletes. Many of these athletes have opted out of the SEA Games to concentrate on their preparation for the 2 bigger games.

What we see from the Malaysians now is not the best of what we can offer, but I guess, it's okay for now.

*Note: There are more divers than swimmers in the Malaysian contingent this time around as we have lost many senior athletes especially after the 2001 games in KL. But the swimmers look like they would get more golds this time.

*Note: There are more divers than swimmers in the Malaysian contingent this time around as we have lost many senior athletes especially after the 2001 games in KL. But the swimmers look like they would get more golds this time.

Are u sure about that ?  ???  My country has won about 6 gold medals in swimmimg so far....

Malaysia won 5 golds in diving.. let's see if Malaysian swimmers can match that with only 2 male swimmers (25 and 16yo) and a few young female swimmers (average 15yo) in the swimming competition...

Malaysia wins triathlon gold!

Malaysia wins gold, RP gets silver in women's triathlon

SUBIC BAY FREEPORT -- Filipina Alessandra Araullo found Malaysian Kimberly Yap Fui-Li faster than she expected and settled for the silver in the female triathlon games Thursday here in Subic at the 23rd Southeast Asian Games.

The Malaysian's victory was an outstanding feat because she had beaten the well-experienced Araullo, a veteran of six Asian triathlon championships and a competitor in tournaments in Australia and New Zealand. She also trained for three months with other triathletes in Australia.

Malaysia wins Men's Badminton team Gold!

Malaysia Dethrone Indonesia

MANILA, Nov 30 (Bernama) -- Wong Choong Hann gave Malaysia the winning point in their 3-2 defeat of defending champions Indonesia in the men's team badminton competition of the 23rd Sea Games held at the Philsports Sports Complex in Pasig City near here.

Archived