Philippines will host 2005 south east asian games

• Replies 96
  • Created
  • Last Reply

The mascot is the Philippine Tarsier, the smallest monkey in the world. But that was actually replaced in March this year by the endangered Philippine Eagle, the 2nd largest in the world. And the logo is a combination of the colors and cultures found in the Philippines.

The Philippines previously hosted in 1981 and 1991. The country never claimed the top stop in any versions of the SEA Games and we are actually aiming at getting it this year. The 2005 edition will feature more than 400 gold medals and the Philippines is targeting of getting 140 golds, which will catapult it to the overall championship. The most we have won was in 1991, with 91 gold medals, 1 shy of Indonesia at 92.

This edition of the SEA Games also will feature the whole Philippines, not just Metropolitan Manila. Some events will be played in different islands of the Philippines, like the Negros Oriental and Occidental, Cebu, Panay Islands, Pampanga (In the main island of Luzon, hometown of the current President) to name a few. The Stadium that was used in 1981 and 1991 for the Opening and Closing Ceremonies, will again be utilized. There was some talk that they'll use Quirino Grandstand, where Pope John Paul II officiated his largest attended mass ever at 4 million people, but it was scrapped in the last minute for security reasons.

I was still in the Philippines in 1991 and it was a blast when we hosted. I remember during the games that it was the talk of the town. My country is starting to make strides right now in the sporting world and is targeting the Asian Basketball Championships in 2007 to qualify for the 2008 Oympics, as it is the national pasttime. Hopefully they'll qualify for 2012 so I can cheer them when they come to me here (hopefully), in NYC!!!  :)  :unclesam:

The country's been thinking of hosting another Asian Games in the future since we last hosted in 1954, when we were a powerhouse in Asia. But before the Philippines will host again, they have to update the Rizal Sports complex or build another one somewhere. That site is so antiquated.

Hello guys, it is a great previlige that our country will be hosting the 2005 sea games!

Forgive me for my ignorance, but what´s the official language of Philippines ???

Is that true that people still speak Portuguese (or Spanish, for that matter) in some small cities/communities in your country ?

Some of Philippines´politicians has names that are common in my country, like: Alberto, Gloria, Silva, Cesar, Manuel etc.

Yes, the national language is indeed Tagalog (filipino-official name)

The country has been thinking about hosting a much more bigger sporting event like the Asian Games but financial and economic constraints not to mention political unrest has become big hindrances in any drive to further any hopes for hoisting.

The country was the first Southeast Asian country to host the Asian Games in 1954, the second time it was held.

Hosting the SEA Games follows a schedule starting from the member countries that were deemed to have financial capability to host such event like Thailand, Indonesia, Malaysia, The Philippines, Singapore, and Burma. But as fellow members got more prosperous they started to get intertwined to the whole scheme like Brunei and Vietnam in 1999 and 2003.

Manila was supposed to host the SEA Games in 2003 according to this schedule but following an unwritten rule that if a member nation that has not hosted the event expresses their wish to host, the Games will be awarded to them.

After Philippines2005, Singapore is supposed to be next in line but have declined and the rights to host was then passed on to Bangkok in 2007. Laos will host the Games in 2009, it will be their first.

Its the first time Ive logged on after so many months of absence, to members from the Philippines sen me a PM.

:)

the mascot:

Personally, I would have liked it if the organizers stuck it out with the tarsier, the initial rendition of the artist who did this image, have made the lovable beast into gollum! But guys, take my word for it, the tarsier is a very lovable creature, its big eyes are so cute, and its totally harmless.

The new mascot, the Philippine eagle for me is so overrated, and so overused, as its always used as the mascot every year for the National Games in the Philippines. The tarsier would have been a nicer mascot because the symbolism of the tarsier with the Filipino people is more whimsical-"small but terrible" other than how the eagle represents us...gimme a break!

the logo:

The logo is supposed to represent the traditional mask worn during the Masskara festival of Bacolod (a province in Central Philipines). Initially this festival was borne out of the sugar crisis that plagued the area in the 1980's hence using the symbolism of celebration (fiesta spirit) and the resiliency of the Filipino people.

If you look at the logos of the past SEA Games editions, the logos from the Philippine hosting always deviates from the traditional forms of sports logos adding a more cultural aspect to the design. The logo in 1991 for instance is a stylized version of the Muslim outrigger boat "vinta" and the logo this year is of a mask.

Because of the financial crisis that the country is experiencing, strict cost-cutting measures are being implemented for the event, but I do trust the organizers to still create a strong impact in the ceremonies and the overall organization of the event since it was already proven in the 1991 edition wheriun they were faced with more or less the same situation with an additional burden of time constraints. This time they have drummed up support froim the private sector to help out in the funding and is getting favorable responses.

Im just waiting for the start of the public campaign they will be doing come June in time for the start of school and Independence day celebrations. ???  :grinning:  :)

on my way to work yesterday i saw a new version of the logo. this time the mask was gold or yellow instead of black and it certainly looked nice and it looked really happy and welcoming.

SeaGames23-001.jpg

Just imagine the mask as color yellow or gold. it looks really neat.

Here's the logo of the 1991 hosting

se1991lg.jpg

Hello guys, it is a great previlige that our country will be hosting the 2005 sea games!

Forgive me for my ignorance, but what´s the official language of Philippines ???

Is that true that people still speak Portuguese (or Spanish, for that matter) in some small cities/communities in your country ?

Some of Philippines´politicians has names that are common in my country, like: Alberto, Gloria, Silva, Cesar, Manuel etc.

Our mother tongue is Filipino or Tagalog. But the Philippines statiscally if i'm not mistaken has one of the largest english speaking populations. Our medium of instrcution in college here is English as well.

The country was the first Southeast Asian country to host the Asian Games in 1954, the second time it was held.

So where was the first one?  

Also, I think that the 1954 Asian Games were held in conjunction with a Manila Exposition when Manila saw its first Holiday on Ice show...in an OPEN AIR temporary stadium no less.  During the day, they covered the ice rink with canvas.  

AND, if I'm not mistaken, it was also in connection with that Exposition that a certain controversial, TOTALLY pretentious, VORACIOUS lass, who would later turn out to be very destructive and EXPENSIVE for the Philippines was crowned (actually, it was arranged) Miss Manila -- even though she was from Leyte.  Can anyone guess who that SOCIAL CLIMBING, ACQUISITIVE virago was?

Also, I think that the 1954 Asian Games were held in conjunction with a Manila Exposition when Manila saw its first Holiday on Ice show...in an OPEN AIR temporary stadium no less.  During the day, they covered the ice rink with canvas.  

AND, if I'm not mistaken, it was also in connection with that Exposition that a certain controversial, TOTALLY pretentious, VORACIOUS lass, who would later turn out to be very destructive and EXPENSIVE for the Philippines was crowned (actually, it was arranged) Miss Manila -- even though she was from Leyte.  Can anyone guess who that SOCIAL CLIMBING, ACQUISITIVE virago was?

Actually baron, its not Miss Manila but Muse of Manila in 1953. The lady is non other than Imelda Marcos. The very first Miss Universe was also in Manila during that time and met his first husband during her trip to Manila and got married even before her reign was completed.

Baron here's the list of the Asian Games Host

1951 New Delhi, India

1954 Manila, Philippines

1958 Tokyo, Japan

1962 Jakarta, Indonesia

1966 Bangkok, Thailand

1970 Bangkok, Thailand*

> originally schedules for South Korea. Withdrew as host due to political and financial reasons

1974 Tehran, Iran

1978 Bangkok, Thailand*

>originally scheduled for Singapore then Islamabad, Pakistan for reason similar to that of the 1970.

1982 New Delhi, India

1986 Seoul, South Korea

1990 Beijing, China

1994 Hiroshima, Japan

1998 Bangkok, Thailand

2002 Busan, South Korea

2006 Doha, Qatar

2010 Guangzhou, China

Actually baron, its not Miss Manila but Muse of Manila in 1953. The lady is non other than Imelda Marcos. The very first Miss Universe was also in Manila during that time and met his first husband during her trip to Manila and got married even before her reign was completed.

Yeah, I think Armi Kusela was visiting Manila in conjunction w/ the, and I now seem to recall the exact name was, the Manila International Exposition.  

Those were heady years for Manila.  It was really beautiful then, and the peso v. the dollar was only 2 pesos = 1 US$.

Archived