2005 World Aquatics Championships Stay in Montreal

To continue on my last post, it seems Montreal 2005 is decreasing the ticket prices to attract more spectators. As well, it is not a surprise that Cirque du Soleil is part of the opening ceremony. "O", anyone?

• 1 month later...

That's old news now, rjmac.

Besides, when you have the World Championships of this kind coming to North America for the first time, sometimes the host nation would love to really to show to the others what it can do.

• 2 weeks later...

Ticket sales are slow, but FINA was in town last week and indicated that the selling pattern is typical for this event.  They claim that in previous championships, ticket sales were also slow in advance.  The expectation is that once the event opens, walk-up and last-minute sales will jump.

Personally, I think the event is overpriced to begin with.  I haven't decided it I want to go yet or not.

By the way, there are new pictures of the venues on the website...

20_1.jpg

21_1.jpg

22_1.jpg

26_1.jpg

25_1.jpg

23_1.jpg

inst_mtl2005_cartean.jpg

With less than a month before the championships begin, let's hope that it will be a success. Of course, those bid cities' reps for the 2009 version will be there to find out which one was won that sweepstakes.

With less than a month before the championships begin, let's hope that it will be a success. Of course, those bid cities' reps for the 2009 version will be there to find out which one was won that sweepstakes.

Well, FINA was in town last week and was gloating about how well things have gone since, as they claim, the real marketing and sponsorship efforts really began in February of this year.

I understand that the Mayor has kept his promise and that the targets for corporate sponsorship have just about been met, with several more sponsors about to come on board.  The company I work for became a sponsor a few months ago.

Yeah. Never mind that other Canadian, and other national teams, will be going to do so at the other events as well. Makes me wonder if Phelps will cross the border to compete, after his run at Athens 2004.

Phelps will be there. Thorpe will be absent. But it ok. Phelps will be competing in 8 events i think.

there is something different about this event compared to Barcelona in 2003, sure i will watch a bit, but i am not excited like i usually am. something about just being after the Olympics and not many great names showing up, also a lot of the people i watched in Atlanta and Sydney are gone so its a bit disappointing, also my attention is a little more on winter sport now since the olympics are less than a year a way.

All the best to the Australians, Austrians, French and Canadians though(especially in water polo)

there is something different about this event compared to Barcelona in 2003, sure i will watch a bit, but i am not excited like i usually am. something about just being after the Olympics and not many great names showing up, also a lot of the people i watched in Atlanta and Sydney are gone so its a bit disappointing, also my attention is a little more on winter sport now since the olympics are less than a year a way.

All the best to the Australians, Austrians, French and Canadians though(especially in water polo)

I agree, Faster. At least, there will always be new swimmers to follow after the swimming greats of the past. Of course, with the upcoming Commonwealth Games in Melbourne, I can't wait to see what the swimming venue there is going to be like. I say this is because that city is the next host of this World Championships and that venues will most likely be involved in it.

As well, we get to find out where the 2009 edition of this championship will be held.

Archived