2005 World Aquatics Championships Stay in Montreal

montreal2005_38437.gif

FINA: Championship back in Montreal

Canadian Press

2/10/2005

FRANKFURT, Germany (CP) - The world governing body of swimming has changed course and returned the 2005 world aquatic championship to Montreal.

FINA pulled the event from Montreal in January after local organizers said they were $6 million short of meeting their $36-million budget.

But a statement on the FINA website Thursday said all requested guarantees have now been presented by the city confirming the obligations agreed to in 2001 when Montreal was chosen as host city.

''We wanted a guarantee that the agreement signed in 2001 would be respected,'' Cornel Marculescum, executive director of FINA, said Thursday from Lausanne, Switzerland. ''Now the challenge for the mayor is to wake up the private sector to come to the championship.''

The FINA statement said it also considered numerous appeals received form citizens and organizations in Montreal supporting the city hosting the championship.

And it pointed to potential logistical problems surrounding the cancellation, noting that many national swimming federations had made travel and hotel bookings for their athletes and team officials well before last month's decision. Montreal was awarded the 2005 championships four years ago.

''I'm very happy that FINA's steering committee has given us a second chance,'' Montreal Mayor Gerald Tremblay told all-news station RDI in Frankfurt.

''These Games are very important for Montreal and we'll do everything we can to make sure they're a very big success.

''Montrealers are proud and I am sure I can count on their support as well as the Quebec government's and the federal government's.''

One person who spoke out in favour of Montreal hosting the event was Canadian Olympic official Dick Pound.

''I'm happy and relieved,'' said Pound, a senior Canadian IOC member who is head of the World Anti-Doping Agency and honorary co-chairman of the Montreal organizing committee.

He said Tremblay's role was key.

''It's the fact that the mayor got personally involved, that the city of Montreal will guarantee the financial obligations,'' Pound said.

The championship, scheduled for July 17-31, is expected to attract 2,000 swimmers, coaches and officials.

Athens, host of the 2004 Olympics, was ready to step in as a replacement for Montreal. The German swimming federation had submitted a bid for the city of Berlin. Moscow also offered to host.

FINA said it ''expresses its gratitude and appreciation to the three 2005 bidders.''

''They (FINA) were giving up two years of work to take a chance on another city to put it together in only five months,'' said Pound. ''It reflects FINA's interest to have a successful championship.''

Long Beach, Calif., which lost out to Montreal in the original bidding, has said it wasn't interested.

The last world championships were held in 2003 in Barcelona, Spain.

The battle over the hosting of the swimming worlds also was marked by tragedy.

Last week, Yvon DesRochers - who led Montreal's bid - was found dead, with police investigating the death as a suicide.

FINA did not mention DesRochers' death in its statement on Thursday.    

The FINA decision last month was a major embarrassment for Montreal, which became the first city to lose a major championship since London was dropped as host of the 2005 world track and field championships in 2001 after plans for a national stadium were scrapped. Those championships were moved to Helsinki.

Montreal also lost the Expos baseball team to Washington, D.C., following the 2004 season.

Who is the ridiculous?

FINA or Montreal?

I don't know. Anyway, the 2005 edition will be the first in North America after all.

The Greek Swimming Associationa announced that Greece will bid for the 2009 Championships.

Yep. If the news about Paris' bid is true, then there will one less candidate city for 2009. I think it is an Asian/Europe rivalry for it, with the number of candidate cities involved.

I think FINA was foolish.  Pulling the plug over $6 million dollars a scant 6 months before the event?  It probably would have cost much much more to renegotiate contracts and rearrange travel arrangements...not to mention the lawsuits that would have followed.

This sounds like a personal attack against the chief organizer.  Notice how things cleared up after he committed suicide?

I think FINA was foolish.  Pulling the plug over $6 million dollars a scant 6 months before the event?  It probably would have cost much much more to renegotiate contracts and rearrange travel arrangements...not to mention the lawsuits that would have followed.

This sounds like a personal attack against the chief organizer.  Notice how things cleared up after he committed suicide?

I agree and I've said they were a bit stupid right from the start.  Who pulls an event six months from the openning believing that they can stage it somewhere else with six months notice?

I think they had a temper tantrum.  And I'm surprised, because the World Aquatics Championships is the third largest such event in the world!  Over 2000 athletes!

Anyway, am I alone in thinking Montreal has a very cool look and logo?

logo_Beluga.gif

The challenge: to come up with a graphic signature that simultaneously reflects the city and the great event that it will host.

The symbol is composed of four vertical lines. These vertical lines represent an overhead view of the different competitive disciplines: swimming, open water swimming, water polo, diving and synchronized swimming. The bubble effect and the colours used for these lines confer on the symbol a water-like fluidity. And everything rests on a solid base: MONTRÉAL 2005.

The symbol represents the moment a diver enters the water, and the splash resulting from the entry.

The symbol represents an overhead view of two water polo teams facing each other.

The symbol evokes an overhead view of an open water swimming event, where the bubbles represent swimmers in the first few meters of the race.

The symbol represents an aquatic ballet with several swimmers. It suggests a point of view where both above-water and below-water movements can be seen.

The symbol represents an overhead view of the lanes of a pool, the bubbles suggesting swimmers in full stroke.

The symbol represents the skyscrapers of downtown Montréal and their reflection in the waters of the St. Lawrence, a characteristic image of our island city.

The graphic signature for MONTRÉAL 2005 is all this rolled into one. It’s the love story of an island and its river, as full of passion today as it was when the city was born 400 years ago. It is also an invitation to athletes the world over to come and surpass themselves.

Well, the main logo looks like Torino 2006's recovered from a hangover -- I mean, now standing erect.  

As for the whale, there are no overweight swimmers, so why should they use this animal?

Proud inhabitant of the St. Lawrence estuary for the last 10,000 years, the beluga has an innate sense of hospitality. With its broad smile, the beluga was on hand to welcome the first settlers to cross the oceans in search of the new world. This charming ambassador will have the honour of welcoming the world as official mascot of MONTRÉAL 2005.

Characteristics

The male beluga measures between 3.4 m and 4.6 m, and weighs roughly 1,500 kg (3,307 lb.), while the average female is 3 m to 4 m long, and weighs roughly 1,360 kg (2,998 lb.).

The beluga’s body is slender but robust. It may have thick folds of whale blubber, particularly along its ventral surface. Its colour differs according to its age. A baby beluga is grey at birth and becomes progressively yellowish-white as an adult.

Belugas can live more than 35 years.The global beluga population is estimated to be between 62,000 and 80,000 mammals.

Habitat

Belugas inhabit the Arctic Ocean and its adjoining seas. However, during certain periods of the year, they can be seen in the estuaries of great rivers, among them the St. Lawrence River, which is rich in plankton.

Some beluga populations carry out seasonal migrations, while others stay in a relatively limited area throughout the year.

Mascot

A young 10-year-old beluga has been chosen as the mascot for MONTRÉAL 2005. His name is DOUXI.

Yeah, I don't want to know who was pulling the strings at FINA against Montreal that led to this stupid turn of events in the first place. It better not do that to Melbourne in two years time. Swimming in Australia is king over there, as far as I know. Any stunt like this to them will really get those people there really steamed with outrage for sure.
  • 2 weeks later...
Whether you agree with the decision or not?  I personally don't...but I am a gentleman and I wish them well!!!!

Good luck to Montreal....now that you've got the Aquatic Games back....Make all of Canada proud!!!!

Can't wait for Alexandre Despatie to kick "diver butt" over there.

i'm really happy to see Montreal claiming the event again and i hope that it's a success and that Canada's athletes are a success. i just hope now that F1 stays in the city, where it belongs. :)

any pics of the new swimming venue?

interesting article:

Gay Competitors prefer Outgames

Athletes would rather test their skills in Montreal than Chicago, poll shows

The Gazette

Tuesday, October 12, 2004

The recent score in international gay sports is Montreal 51, Chicago 7.

Those are the percentages of participants from the EuroGames 2004 planning to attend the competing North American events in 2006.

The European Gay and Lesbian Sport Federation polled the 5,300 people who took part in this summer's games, hosted by Munich, Germany, on whether they will enter the first World Outgames here or the Gay Games VII in Chicago.

Of the more than 630 people who answered the survey, 6.7 per cent want to be part of both sports competitions - which are being held one week apart in July and August 2006.

It was the third good piece of news this month for organizers of the Outgames.

The survey results followed closely on the heels of announcements from global Internet media companies pledging sponsorship totalling $1.425 million U.S.

California-based Hyperion Interactive Media - a Web site network that receives 1.2 million gay, lesbian, bisexual and transgendered visitors a month - signed a $1-million deal.

Brazil's leading site, with 1.4 million monthly visitors, is in for $250,000, while a Montreal search engine for gays and lesbians has agreed to a $175,000 associate sponsorship.

"We needed $1.5 million worth of direct-link publicity and we're already at $3.8 million with two years to go," Outgames spokesperson Jean-Yves Duthel said.

Of the $16-million overall budget, organizers have obtained more than $8 million in cash and in-kind contributions, he added.

"For the first time in the history of (gay, lesbian, bisexual, and transgender) games, we know we'll be able to offer a financially viable event, thanks to our new sponsors," Outgames marketing director Tom Czerniecki said in a recent statement.

Montreal had originally won the right to host the 2006 Gay Games, but a disagreement between the local organizers and the Federation of Gay Games resulted in the event being moved to Chicago and Montreal establishing an alternative competition.

© The Gazette (Montreal) 2004

Whether you agree with the decision or not?  I personally don't...but I am a gentleman and I wish them well!!!!

Good luck to Montreal....now that you've got the Aquatic Games back....Make all of Canada proud!!!!

Can't wait for Alexandre Despatie to kick "diver butt" over there.

how funny, i cant wait to see Alexandre Despatie's  "diver butt" over there.

Yeah. Never mind that other Canadian, and other national teams, will be going to do so at the other events as well. Makes me wonder if Phelps will cross the border to compete, after his run at Athens 2004.
  • 4 weeks later...

Archived