It's well documented that Canada has never won a gold at home. Not for long we hope.

Where is the first Canadian home gold likely to come from? What day, which event, who are the contenders?

This is not a thread about "Canada's Gold Medal Hopes" in general, I want to know who will be the FIRST Gold medallist. Enlighten us all you Canadians out there!

Wow - great! I have tickets for that - who am I looking out for?!

Charles Hamelin.

February 13th

11:45 - Men's Downhill - Manual Osborne-Paradis

19:18 - Men's 1500m - Charles Hamelin or Francois Louis-Trembley

19:30 - Women's Moguls - Jennifer Heil or Kristy Richards

February 14th

13:00 - Women's 3000m Speed Skating - Cindy Klassen, Kristina Groves or Clara Hughes

17:30 - Men's Moguls - Alexandre Bilodeau, Vincent Marquis, Pierre-Alexendre Rousseau

February 15th

10:00 - Women's 10km Freestyle Cross Country Skiing - Chandra Crawford or Sara Renner

14:53 - Men's Snowboard Cross - Drew Neilson, Robert Fagan, Francois Boivin

17:28 - Men's 500m Speed Skating - Jeremy Wortherspoon

The bolded is my guess.

February 13th

Men's Downhill - Manual Osborne-Paradis

Men's 1500m - Charles Hamelin or Francois Louis-Trembley

Women's Moguls - Jennifer Heil or Kristy Richards

February 14th

Ladies' Super Combined - Britt Janyk

Men's Moguls - Alexandre Bilodeau, Vincent Marquis, Pierre-Alexendre Rousseau

February 15th

Men's 500m Speed Skating - Jeremy Wotherspoon

The bolded is my guess. It's his mountain :)

My guess of the men's downhill is

Gold: Didier Cuche

Silver: Axel Lund Svindal

Bronze: Bode Miller

just saying

But I hope it is Manny, it would be great to get that over with as soon as possible and a miracle in Ski Jumping is not going to happen.

I think Paradis will medal, just not gold. So he will be our first unless Chandra's sister provides for some unexpected excitement at the biathlon range.

Charles and Francois will be in close competition with Jennifer and Kristy for timing of medals because the events start within a time frame that would mean that up to 4 medals could be won in 10 minutes.

• 2 weeks later...

Looks like Gold will elude Canada after two full days of competition. Any thoughts?

It won't happen, but just a thought to put out there... imagine if Canada's Gold drought continued and all hope rested on the Men's Hockey team... how dramatic would that be!?

Looks like Gold will elude Canada after two full days of competition. Any thoughts?

It won't happen, but just a thought to put out there... imagine if Canada's Gold drought continued and all hope rested on the Men's Hockey team... how dramatic would that be!?

Well, realistically, that's not gonna happen - the drought is just waiting to be broken any time now.

Theoretically - THAT would be the story of the games!

It must be getting a bit tense there north of the parallel!

Well, realistically, that's not gonna happen - the drought is just waiting to be broken any time now.

Theoretically - THAT would be the story of the games!

It must be getting a bit tense there north of the parallel!

I know, it would be like a Disney film if that happened and they won - picking up the medals during a medal ceremony in the Closing...

Of course, it's not going to happen... I just have an over active imagination!

Edited by Colonel Iredale

Looks like the wait is over. Well done.