National Flag Bearers

• Replies 60
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

And whom do you expect as German flagbearer, Martin?

I think that after a cross-country skier (Jochen Behle, 1998), an alpine skier (Hilde Gerg, 2002) and a biathlete (Kati Wilhelm, 2006) it's about time for a representative of the ice sports. And I strongly guess that it will be André Lange who could perform a historic feat in Vancouver and repeat his bobsleigh gold medal double from 2006. And his first competition is eight days after the opening ceremony...

And whom do you expect as German flagbearer, Martin?

I think that after a cross-country skier (Jochen Behle, 1998), an alpine skier (Hilde Gerg, 2002) and a biathlete (Kati Wilhelm, 2006) it's about time for a representative of the ice sports. And I strongly guess that it will be André Lange who could perform a historic feat in Vancouver and repeat his bobsleigh gold medal double from 2006. And his first competition is eight days after the opening ceremony...

I totally agree, Fabian!

André Lange - the bob competition starts a week after the OC and I heard that he wants to retire after the Olympics...

Australia's is traditionally only announced a day or two before the OC.

Hmmmmm? What's the guess Dale Begg-Smith??????

;)

If he does enter the BC Place with the Australian flag, we'd be definitely interested if Begg-Smith, a Vancouver native, will get showered with massive boos from the Canadians. But the spectators are much too polite for that...

DENMARK--Sophie Fjellvang-Solling ski cross

HUNGARY--Julia Sebestyen figure skating

ROMANIA--Eva Tofalvi biathlon

If he does enter the BC Place with the Australian flag, we'd be definitely interested if Begg-Smith, a Vancouver native, will get showered with massive boos from the Canadians. But the spectators are much too polite for that...

It would be provocative to choose him. It's not something we'd do to the hosts. Also, if memory serves correct, he carried the Oz flag in the closing at Torino, so that would rule him out here.

Imagine the calls of "Traitor!" coming down if that happened...

Okay, on that note, how about:

Jacqui Cooper (for her never-give-up attitude in the face of injuries and longtime services and success to aerials)

Torah Bright (rising star in snowboarding)

Tatiana Borodulina (repping the "new Aussies")

Lydia Lassila (honoring the success aerials have done for Australia)

You'll notice they're all women in my suggestions, could the AOC name a guy to alternate with Alisa Camplin four years ago, other than Begg-Smith?

Imagine the calls of "Traitor!" coming down if that happened...

Okay, on that note, how about:

Jacqui Cooper (for her never-give-up attitude in the face of injuries and longtime services and success to aerials)

Torah Bright (rising star in snowboarding)

Tatiana Borodulina (repping the "new Aussies")

Lydia Lassila (honoring the success aerials have done for Australia)

You'll notice they're all women in my suggestions, could the AOC name a guy to alternate with Alisa Camplin four years ago, other than Begg-Smith?

No, I think you're right. It'll be one of the women aerialists.

In terms of the Aussie flagbearer, I reckon Torah Bright should be the favourite, as she is the best known winter athlete here. Plus the media has been focusing on her quite a bit in recent days.

Actually, there hasn't been much mention of Jacqui Cooper's comeback, I'd forgotten all about it. She'd be 2nd favourite.

I'd be surprised if it wasn't one of those two...if only Steven Bradbury was making a comeback!!!