Sign in to follow this  
OlympicFan2010

Does The Yog 'lessen' The Olympics?

Surprising results in the medals table! China and Russia on top but the USA "only" managed to end up 13th. It's also interesting to see Azerbaijan and Thailand (11th and 14th) so high. Singapore, on the other hand, must have been the worst host ever in terms of gold medals (zero, 62nd on the table with six medals).

Its not bad that for Singapore, six medals is our best performance in any Olympic Games after all, mind you ! :lol: Besides we're not the worst Olympic host of all time, the Japanese won 3 medals in Sapporo (1 of Each) and the Yugoslavs won just 1 silver in Sarejevo.

And its worth mentioning the most of Americans are actually part of the the US "B" team.

But as a life-long Olympic enthusiast....I feel that the YOG cheapens the Olympics. Now you can win an Olympic medal as a teenager. Also, as an American...I find it difficult to find others who respect the Olympics and what they stand for. These 'new' games seem to make the Olympic Games less special. And, to me, these games are obviously not to put on that same level as the regular Olympics. Saying 'regular' Olympics hurts.

I agree the YOG are waste I like to know what the IOC was think just after the World Cup. The YOG wasn't even mention anywhere this could be a white elephant for the IOC.

I agree the YOG are waste I like to know what the IOC was think just after the World Cup. The YOG wasn't even mention anywhere this could be a white elephant for the IOC.

Before we get carried away with talk about whether the YOG's are a white elephant let's set up some criteria for pass or fail on the IOC's terms:

Did the Singapore YOG's keep the IOC and the Olympic brand alive on the crowded global sporting market?

Has the push to start the YOGs helped bring into the fold cities that may not or will not post serious bids for summer or winter games down the track?

Will the YOGs benefit individual NOCs that are investing in youth identification?

What cost does the IOC bear in this exercise, and what cost does the host city bear re venues etc?

Can and does the YOG model make best use of existing venues for a smaller games, or will it require new and perhaps unsustainable infrastructure?

I understand why lack of media coverage may mean that the YOGs are perceived to be a waste when you are looking for high profile sports results, but what you I or anyone else in Joe Public Land might be looking at is the wrong result. The IOC and JR are canny as all shite and not prone to making expansionary movements without a degree of forethought, plus they will be setting their own agenda...not one we will easily accept or recognise. Frankly whilst I think the YOGs are no more than a glorified school's sports carnival they may well have more positives for the IOC than we can relate to a general 'white elephant' comment.

In North America (where the IOC gets the majority of the money) the big America TV stations didn't say anything,yes NBC was on other things. The NFL is in preseason. MLB is starting to shape up for the playoffs. The NHL is about to start preseason. The YOG was less than a month after the World Cup and the Commonwealth Games start in October. The costs of hosting the Olympics is rising. The IOC now puts on another event, these days cost is now the driving factor and the IOC doesn't pay one dime. Athens now has a legacy of white elephants. The final bill for Vancouver is yet to come in, London costs are sky rocketing. Let see GM got to big, out of control not with the times and the public just lost interest. IOC take heed

The costs of hosting the Olympics is rising. The IOC now puts on another event, these days cost is now the driving factor and the IOC doesn't pay one dime.

Not a dime eh?

For the YOG, the IOC pays for travel and accommodation of:

• NOC delegations (including Athletes and Officials)
  • IF Technical Officials

I don't know the exact amount, but based on the fact that there was 5,500 people at the Youth Olympic Village alone, one can easily estimate that it is probably around US 20 million.

As for the Games themselves, through the TV rights and TOP Programme, the IOC contributes to 40 to 50% of an OCOG budget.

Suggest you have a look at how much FIFA, CGF, IAAF contribute to the staging of their respective events...

White elephants is another topic. The IOC should indeed be more responsible when selecting a host city and more prescriptive with the city when elected in order to avoid the same mistakes being repeated over and over again.

I don't know the exact amount, but based on the fact that there was 5,500 people at the Youth Olympic Village alone, one can easily estimate that it is probably around US 20 million.

Beside what they are paying directly (as travels) the IOC gave also a contribution (cash & vik) to the YOG organizers

Suggest you have a look at how much FIFA, CGF, IAAF contribute to the staging of their respective events...

Regarding FIFA, their contribution is 100% of the budget of the Local Organizer Committee (as FIFA is belonging all the revenues : ticketing, marketing, broadcasting, licences ...)

IAAF is only contributing directly to 5% of the Local Organizer Committee !

Not a dime eh?

For the YOG, the IOC pays for travel and accommodation of:

• NOC delegations (including Athletes and Officials)
  • IF Technical Officials

As for the Games themselves, through the TV rights and TOP Programme, the IOC contributes to 40 to 50% of an OCOG budget.

White elephants is another topic. The IOC should indeed be more responsible when selecting a host city and more prescriptive with the city when elected in order to avoid the same mistakes being repeated over and over again.

If you have a copy of the Host City Contract the IOC doesn't pay for the altheles. And besides most of the TV money comes from the US. The IOC only pay for their travel and Hotel. The Organizing Committee pays for every thing else.

If you have a copy of the Host City Contract the IOC doesn't pay for the athletes. And besides most of the TV money comes from the US. The IOC only pay for their travel and Hotel. The Organizing Committee pays for every thing else.

If you have a copy of the Host City Contract the IOC doesn't pay for the altheles. And besides most of the TV money comes from the US. The IOC only pay for their travel and Hotel. The Organizing Committee pays for every thing else.

Wait a sec...the IOC got money from the US to televise the YOG????? Or are you talking about general TV revenue for the regular Olympics? If that's true, then that's a joke because only an hour of highlights was shown daily on Universal Sports (an obscure cable network that isn't even available in all markets) and it consisted solely of what was on the official Games website...

Wait a sec...the IOC got money from the US to televise the YOG????? Or are you talking about general TV revenue for the regular Olympics? If that's true, then that's a joke because only an hour of highlights was shown daily on Universal Sports (an obscure cable network that isn't even available in all markets) and it consisted solely of what was on the official Games website...

Most of the money the IOC got is from NBC to show 2010, 2012 and I don't know about '14 and '16. Why would the IOC tap into that money when Vancouver got short on cash and London is already way over the top. The IOC only pays for their travel and hotel. Another thing why would the IOC put the YOG after Vancouver and this is what I can't understand just after the World Cup?

If you knew what you were talking about, you would know that, as stated, for the YOG the IOC pays for the travel and accommodation of all delegations staying at the YOV plus international Technical Officials.

The TV rights for the YOG were offered to the right holders for the Games.

Also, BTW, for the Games, the IOC is also paying, through OBS, for the setting up of the IBC and the production of the international TV feed.

If you knew what you were talking about, you would know that, as stated, for the YOG the IOC pays for the travel and accommodation of all delegations staying at the YOV plus international Technical Officials.

The TV rights for the YOG were offered to the right holders for the Games.

Also, BTW, for the Games, the IOC is also paying, through OBS, for the setting up of the IBC and the production of the international TV feed.

The Host City Contract states:Part2 Section 18c: The payment of the travel expenses, in economy class, of the international judges, referees and other technical officials, including the persons on the juries of appeal of the respective IFs, shall be borne by the OCOG.

This was taken from 2010 Host City Contract and the 2012 says the same and 2014 and 2016 are the same. The YOG contract is the same.

Section 18 © is a fact.

Most of the money the IOC got is from NBC to show 2010, 2012 and I don't know about '14 and '16. Why would the IOC tap into that money when Vancouver got short on cash and London is already way over the top. The IOC only pays for their travel and hotel. Another thing why would the IOC put the YOG after Vancouver and this is what I can't understand just after the World Cup?

London 2012 is the end of NBC's current deal with the IOC.

The Host City Contract states:Part2 Section 18c: The payment of the travel expenses, in economy class, of the international judges, referees and other technical officials, including the persons on the juries of appeal of the respective IFs, shall be borne by the OCOG.

This was taken from 2010 Host City Contract and the 2012 says the same and 2014 and 2016 are the same. The YOG contract is the same.

Section 18 © is a fact.

Again, no clue whatsoever.

Whether you want to admit it or not is completely irrelevant: the Host City Contract is different for the YOG. The fact that IOC is paying for the travel and accommodation of the participants for the YOG is documented in countless public documents...

Again, no clue whatsoever.

Whether you want to admit it or not is completely irrelevant: the Host City Contract is different for the YOG. The fact that IOC is paying for the travel and accommodation of the participants for the YOG is documented in countless public documents...

the fact is that YOG host City Contract is the same. If it is in countless public documents can you please give a web site?

:rolleyes:

Things do not change here....

The budget for organising the YOG will be the responsibility of the YOGOC and the local, regional and national public authorities.

The IOC will fund the travel and accommodation arrangements of IOC representatives, NOC athletes and team officials at the village and IF international technical officials.

The IOC will fund the production of daily TV highlights produced by Olympic Broadcast Services (OBS).

Source: YOG 2016 document

Edited by cfm Jeremie
  • Like 1

Sign in to follow this