Does The Yog 'lessen' The Olympics?

Singapore will deliver a great event, it's a beautiful city with determined people that have turned a small plot of land with zero resources into a thriving metropolis, but there is no doubt in my mind that the Youth Olympics concept will be an abysmal failure in that it will fail to attract sufficient international interest nor promote sport among youth. It dwarfs the real Summer and Winter Games, and it's these two larger and grand scale events that youth will look up to. You could argue that many countries without winter climates or ski slopes don't follow the Winter Games, but there is sufficient demand for the rings of glory on snow and ice - it's a completely different event from the Summer Games.

It's also an expensive event...when it welcomed bidders, the IOC had estimated it would cost about US$100-million for a host city. Singapore's bid estimates were the same. The real cost today is closer to US$300-million.

If the IOC wanted to get kids into sport, make it mandatory for the real Olympic Games organizing committees to create even broader and expansive education and youth inclusive programs.

• 4 weeks later...

One week to go and I cannot muster any enthusiam for the YOG. A Lack of TV coverage in the US (other than Universal Sports online coverage)doesn't help as does the fact that after the Vancouver Games and the World Cup I think I have a case of big-event burnout. I wish the YOG well and hope they are a big success but I am going to have to sit this one out.

It dwarfs the real Summer and Winter Games,

I think you mean that the other way around.

Anyway, if no one on this site even cares about the Youth Olympic Games, (and I know I don't and think they are ridiculous, excessive etc), the general public sure isn't going to give a crap.

Indeed. Good for the young athletes, possibly a boost to the host city and gives smaller cities a bite of the cherry, but beyond that....we'll have to see but it's not catching fire right now.

I had to look up what TV coverage would be given to the event here in the UK. Basically, there'll be a short highlights programme on the red button each day of the Games but no live coverage and nothing on the main channels. I suppose the lofty goal of the IOC to reduce obesity might be realised if there's nobody sitting in front of their TVs.

EDIT: apparently Newsround and Blue Peter will be in Singapore as well. A good move from the BBC I guess.

Edited by RobH

Perhaps so as to give athletes who would compete in both Games, either exceptional youngsters or those old enough to expect to be competing in the real Games in a couple of years, a chance to pace themselves, recover and reprepare.

• 2 weeks later...

Okay a week has passed since I said I had no enthusiasm for these Games. But checking out the highlights and news from various sources, I find that my interest has returned somewhat (not to the level of the traditional Games, no- where close), but I'm paying more attention than I thought I would. I guess those five circles just have some kind of pull on me.

I guess those five circles just have some kind of pull on me.

Ding ding dinggg.I've always said it, if the those five rings are in the background somewhere, people will be more inclined to watch whatever sport is on their television.

And not at all surprised that NBC will air the YOG's on Universal Sports. I mean, that's where they aired the last two Paralympics and where they cover all the Olympic sports that no one cares about outside the Games. Good fit for the YOG's to catch an audience.

Okay a week has passed since I said I had no enthusiasm for these Games. But checking out the highlights and news from various sources, I find that my interest has returned somewhat (not to the level of the traditional Games, no- where close), but I'm paying more attention than I thought I would. I guess those five circles just have some kind of pull on me.

You know, I've had almost the same experience. I was watching our highlights package yesterday, and I'm not saying I'd find it compulsive viewing for hours-on-hours a day for a fortnight, but, yes, those Rings and the olympic-decked settings do spark some attraction. I've been pretty dismissive of the YOGs concept in the past, but I'd be prepared to say that give it a few successful hostings, and by the time we start to see Olympic champions graduating from the YOGs to the senior games podiums, and it could work.

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

Rogge: New YOG events could be added to Olympics

By Associated Press | Posted: Aug 25, 12:54p ET

SINGAPORE (AP) - IOC president Jacques Rogge said some of the new events introduced at the Youth Olympics could become part of the traditional Olympics in the future.

The Youth Olympics include such formats as 3-on-3 half-court basketball, a mixed team triathlon relay and mixed swimming relays.

"We will look at expanding these events in the future," Rogge said. "I am a fan of mixed events. We are considering adding them to the summer Olympic lineup."

Organizers also emphasized cultural and educational activities at the Youth Olympics, and Rogge said similar programs would not be a part of the 2012 Summer Games in London but may be included at the 2016 Olympics in Rio de Janeiro.

"We are most definitely considering introducing a limited culture and education program into the traditional Olympic Games," he said. "There's definitely a place for it. It's too late for London but perhaps in Rio."

http://www.universalsports.com/news/article/newsid=490276.html

LOL no one even bothered to post anything during/about the closing ceremony last night.

Probably (and for me) because of the strange idea to have the closing ceremony in the middle of the week....

So because of the time different, it was at the beginning of the afternoon here in Europe, Early morning in the US... So European people were at work and Americans were sleeping....

As i have been watching the opening and comment here on the forum, i would have done the same if it was during the week-end !

But, after 5 days in Singapore, over last week-end, I could insure you that this event is a real one, high value, and will stay for long... Media have been surprised this time... but you will see that in 4 years, the coverage will be totally different....

Probably (and for me) because of the strange idea to have the closing ceremony in the middle of the week....

full agree

[PRESS RELEASE] Singapore 2010 Closing Ceremony Speech by IOC President, Jacques Rogge

Congratulations and thank you, Singapore, for a job superbly done.

You rose brilliantly to the challenge of combining elite sport, modern education and culture.

Throughout these 12 days, we all enjoyed the warm hospitality of the public authorities, of the very successful Organising Committee and of the 20,000 wonderful volunteers.

These Games will leave a great human legacy in Singapore and around the world.

These Games were full of innovation, creativity, joy and a sharing of Olympic values.

Dear athletes, you made us proud.

You have learnt what it means to be a true champion, not simply a winner.

You have shown us that a new generation is ready to embrace and share Olympic values.

You thrilled us with your splendid performances. But, more than that, you inspired us with your enthusiasm, your spirit and the sheer joy you brought to the task of competing, learning and living with fellow athletes from around the world.

These were truly inspirational games.

Dear athletes, you have now earned the title Young Olympian.

And when, years from now, you reflect on your sports career, you will be able to say: “I was in Singapore, where it all began.”

The Youth Olympic Flame will go out tonight, but the spirit of Singapore will remain.

The International Olympic Committee will continue to promote this spirit at the inaugural Winter Youth Olympic Games in Innsbruck, Austria, and at the second Summer Youth Olympic Games in Nanjing, China.

You, dear athletes, will keep this Singapore Spirit alive in your countries as true role models.

I now declare the inaugural Youth Olympic Games in Singapore closed, and, in accordance with tradition, I call upon the Youth of the World to assemble in four years’ time in Nanjing, China, for the second Summer Youth Olympic Games.

Thank you.

IOC

We have the Seoul flag and the Oslo flag. Will there be Singapore and Innsbrück flags too?

BTW, the closing was ok. A little delay at the beginning and nothing much different from the "climate" of the opening. Nanjing sent only a video for the handover. The extinguishing of the flame was pretty nice and creative and an actual part of the show, not just turning off the gas.

Well, I wasn't thrilled by these games but I hope the YOG's become a successful event. They may have a positive social and sports impact on "youth" countries like Asian, Latin American and African countries. Especially the winter edition if the IOC let the southern hemisphere host them.

There is already a Singapore flag, which was handed over to Nanjing.

I was basically too sad to post anything about the closing ceremony. ;) As I left for home on the last day of volunteerism, I actually wished the YOG is a permanent fixture in Singapore!

Surprising results in the medals table! China and Russia on top but the USA "only" managed to end up 13th. It's also interesting to see Azerbaijan and Thailand (11th and 14th) so high. Singapore, on the other hand, must have been the worst host ever in terms of gold medals (zero, 62nd on the table with six medals), but I think it was a great performance anyway. I also think Spain (33rd), Great Britain (17th) and Germany (12th) could have done better compared to the "original" Summer Olympics. Finally, great performances too of Australia (6th), Japan (7th), France (9th) and Italy (10th), since they ended up more or less as they did in Beijing 2008 with their professional athletes.

There is already a Singapore flag, which was handed over to Nanjing.

I was basically too sad to post anything about the closing ceremony. ;) As I left for home on the last day of volunteerism, I actually wished the YOG is a permanent fixture in Singapore!

Do you think the YOGs have whetted Singapore's appetite for something bigger. A Summer Games perhaps, or at least a Commonwealth Games?

Surprising results in the medals table! China and Russia on top but the USA "only" managed to end up 13th. It's also interesting to see Azerbaijan and Thailand (11th and 14th) so high. Singapore, on the other hand, must have been the worst host ever in terms of gold medals (zero, 62nd on the table with six medals), but I think it was a great performance anyway. I also think Spain (33rd), Great Britain (17th) and Germany (12th) could have done better compared to the "original" Summer Olympics. Finally, great performances too of Australia (6th), Japan (7th), France (9th) and Italy (10th), since they ended up more or less as they did in Beijing 2008 with their professional athletes.

Where did you find a medal ranking ?

I found this one, that is not totally the same ? Especially for Italy ?

http://entertainment.xin.msn.com/en/tv/channel-5/programmes/yog/article.aspx?cp-documentid=4277630

Where did you find a medal ranking ?

I found this one, that is not totally the same ? Especially for Italy ?

http://entertainment.xin.msn.com/en/tv/channel-5/programmes/yog/article.aspx?cp-documentid=4277630

Yeah, I was looking for one too, in fact I don't know why there isn't Costa Rica in the medal ranking since Andrea Guillén won a medal in mixed-team judo :blink: does that kind of medal count for medal ranking or not?

Do you think the YOGs have whetted Singapore's appetite for something bigger. A Summer Games perhaps, or at least a Commonwealth Games?

Perhaps Singapore could look to a CGs Rols, as I am sure when the CGF look to an Asian host city down the road they'll be ruing the Delhi 2010 schemozzle and will be hard put to go to Hambantota for 2018 on such a spurious bid. For that matter are there any other remotely viable options in Asia for the next 20 odd years for CGs?

As for SOGs, IMHO no way can it be considered a candidate city between now and the mid point of this century. No IOC influence at the exec level, no sporting tradition to call on within the Olympic context and holding a glorified school sports carnival is no indication of how capable you are of holding the biggest single peacetime event for a nation.

Perhaps Singapore could look to a CGs Rols, as I am sure when the CGF look to an Asian host city down the road they'll be ruing the Delhi 2010 schemozzle and will be hard put to go to Hambantota for 2018 on such a spurious bid. For that matter are there any other remotely viable options in Asia for the next 20 odd years for CGs?

As for SOGs, IMHO no way can it be considered a candidate city between now and the mid point of this century. No IOC influence at the exec level, no sporting tradition to call on within the Olympic context and holding a glorified school sports carnival is no indication of how capable you are of holding the biggest single peacetime event for a nation.

Yeah, a CGs for sure. I'm sure the CGF probably does have them pencilled in among their desired candidates in the future. Wish we could bring HK back into the C'wealth sports fold.

For the SOGs, I get where you're at with the lack of sports tradition, but influence? Well, they did land the IOC session of 2005, and the YOGs. I'd expect there's a respectable cache of goodwill being banked. What they've always lacked in the past is desire to go after anything. Singapore for decades has tentatively mulled various bids for the CGFs and what-nots, but never had the wherewithall to go on with it. Fair enough, I suppose, they've only really had one over-riding drive - making money. But they've had a sip of the Olympic cup now - you know as well as I do what a heady and addictive brew that is - witness Huaiwei's reaction. I'd like to Singaporeans raise their sights now - I'd still rate them the most likely and viable SOG candidate of South-East Asia, city state or not.

Which is an interesting debate of itself - how likely is it that a city state like Singapore, or a Gulf Country like Dubai, might ever host the SOGs?

Yeah, a CGs for sure. I'm sure the CGF probably does have them pencilled in among their desired candidates in the future. Wish we could bring HK back into the C'wealth sports fold.

For the SOGs, I get where you're at with the lack of sports tradition, but influence? Well, they did land the IOC session of 2005, and the YOGs. I'd expect there's a respectable cache of goodwill being banked. What they've always lacked in the past is desire to go after anything. Singapore for decades has tentatively mulled various bids for the CGFs and what-nots, but never had the wherewithall to go on with it. Fair enough, I suppose, they've only really had one over-riding drive - making money. But they've had a sip of the Olympic cup now - you know as well as I do what a heady and addictive brew that is - witness Huaiwei's reaction. I'd like to Singaporeans raise their sights now - I'd still rate them the most likely and viable SOG candidate of South-East Asia, city state or not.

Which is an interesting debate of itself - how likely is it that a city state like Singapore, or a Gulf Country like Dubai, might ever host the SOGs?

I know there is a belief out there that hosting a congress has some kind of direct relevance to both pull in the IOC and therefore for hosting a SOG, but as I argued in the Durban thread there is a definitive historical link between congress cities not being recognised as future host cities within a reasonable time (i.e. 30-40 years). A congress is not so much a recognition by the IOC that the host for that congress has won over the upper levels of the membership, more that the general assembly has a desire to travel the world and experience the good life (and I am sure that Singapore will deliver in spades on that point). Plus you need someone in that inner cabal with big clout and influence and Singapore has no one to propel their future plans forward.

As for the influence of the YOGs, well one swallow sure as hell makes no summer and I wonder how many in the IOC look at the YOGs as Jacques little indulgence. Will there be a long slow development of these games that then eat into the profitability of the original IOC product and their marketing, or will they be a 'good idea at the time' a la the intercalary games of Athens 1906? I suspect the YOGs will have no relevance as a concrete element within any future SOG bid no matter where they are held.

Now as the South East Asian candidate cities that opens Pandora's floodgates of worms :P . I wonder how Bangkok or KL would stand, insofar as they both have previous bid history and in the Thai's case they have a small but growing Olympic tradition. KL of course has 1998 to point to. Then again as per my usual line of reasoning where are there respective IOC bigwig supporters? None there right now....

Right now the ASEAN nations and their most prominent cities are less than likely candidates for SOGs, but as for future YOGs and CGs, yeah they could continue to deliver.