Roma 2020 Bid

• 2 weeks later...
  • Replies 345
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Italian official: Rome 2020 bid should get moving

ROME — A senior Italian IOC member questioned Tuesday whether the country is in a strong enough economic position to proceed with a bid for the 2020 Olympics.

"I get the feeling that in Italy people like the idea of the Olympics but many people pose two reservations," Franco Carraro said in an interview with The Associated Press. "First, in this tough economic moment can we permit ourselves to organize an Olympics? The second is, if we organize the Olympics are we going to do so transparently or is it going to be the chance for some cheat to take advantage?"

The Italian Olympic Committee (CONI) endorsed Rome as a 2020 candidate in May.

"I know that my IOC colleagues heard the news then but they haven't heard anything since. ... Over these six months the world has changed, and especially the economic climate in Europe," said Carraro, alluding to the financial crisis in Greece and Ireland.

For months, Rome officials have mentioned Gianni Letta, premier Silvio Berlusconi's right-hand man, as a candidate to lead the bid. With the government facing a do-or-die no-confidence vote in parliament on Dec. 14, nobody is certain who the leader might be.

Still, CONI president Giovanni Petrucci insisted on Monday that there were no problems for the bid.

"It's useless for us to continue hurting ourselves," Petrucci told RAI state radio. "Right now there are other priorities in the country and nothing will happen if a month goes by. The situation is under control. We need everyone's help, from the IOC members and the city of Rome."

Likewise, Italy's Defense Minister Ignazio La Russsa noted the country is going through a period of "instability", adding that "the Olympics remain a priority, but not the top priority."

But the 70-year-old Carraro, who has held just about every key leadership position in Italian sports and was also Rome mayor from 1989-93, argues that the bid needs to organize itself precisely so it can operate "independent of political controversy."

"Our opponents are going to point to all the controversies in our country," Carraro said, recalling how Rome lost to Athens in a close vote for the 2004 Games. "We've got to be very precise and factual."

In May, CONI proposed a bid that includes 70 percent existing venues that centered on the Foro Italico, which was the hub of the 1960 Games.

"The Rome candidacy definitely costs less than other cities," Carraro said. "Starting from a solid basis is a big advantage, but you need to explain what it costs, you have to explain it in numbers."

Carraro is also the chairman of FIFA's internal audit committee, and has been an interested observer of the corruption cases involving the vote for the 2018 and 2022 World Cup hosts.

The IOC full session elections are far more comprehensive and transparent than FIFA's executive committee vote, according to Carraro.

"I think it works better," Carraro said. "FIFA will definitely improve its procedure."

http://www.usatoday.com/sports/olympics/2010-11-23-2956617505_x.htm

Considering there's still no other officially declared bidders (even Durban's still not officially annointed, even if they're likely, and lord knows what the Japanese and Spanish are planning), CONI still has the early jump on the others.

We probably won't be seeing much action at all in the race until well into the New Year and the run up to the Durban session. And even then the initial field won't be finalised till later in 2011.

If Spain wins the right to host the 2018 world cup, is the IOC really likely to follow FIFA again, as they did for 2016 in choosing Rio with a Brazilian world cup already on the cards? It seems unlikely to me.

Next week's vote in Zurich could go some way towards determining whether Italy has strong European competition, or whether it's the stand-out European bid (we haven't heard noises from any other European cities have we?).

If Spain wins the right to host the 2018 world cup, is the IOC really likely to follow FIFA again, as they did for 2016 in choosing Rio with a Brazilian world cup already on the cards? It seems unlikely to me.

That's it. That's just what I think. If Spain gets the 2018 World Cup, the IOC won't choose Madrid for 2020 (and I doubt if they'd do it for 2024) after having already "copied" FIFA with Brazil/Rio. Luckily for non-football sports fans like me, Spain doesn't seem likely to get the WC.

I also think a Madrid bid will be affected by Spain's 2018 WC bid. If they win, they may be satisfied for the moment. If not, they may also be totally deflated by a string of losses.

We haven't been chosen by FIFA or IOC, but the fact is that Spain wants the Games and is getting ready for hosting a multisports event soon. We'll be hosts for several Olympic sports major championships during the next years: the 2013 men's handball world championship, 2013 European aquatics championships, 2014 FIBA world championship for men... apart from world cup or similar events that take place here every year (like triathlon, tennis, cycling, badminton...).

Are you coming to Madrid?

I'm not in the city, though. I've been there quite a lot of times (some weeks ago, for example), but, on the other hand, I only know the very basic tourist routes - and I haven't even visited all the sights (especially museums and similar).

Then enjoy. Madrid is really beautiful with its Christmas lights. Don't miss the giant Christmas tree in Puerta del Sol, next to the clock we all Spanish people watch on TV to welcome the new year.

I might be there too some days before Christmas, but I'm not sure at all...

Actually funnily enough spent last week and a bit in Madrid and Rome (4,5 days in each). Both are fantastic cities in the their own rights with very different strengths and a very different offering to Durban. It will be very interesting to see how this race plays out...

However the current European crisis and bailouts - which seem to be strongly heading Spain and Italies way (after Greece and Ireland - and Portugal next), could leave serious dampners when us down South are not facing these issues.

Actually Italy is not in the bailout risk-zone like the other countries you mentioned. You put on the same level economies which are very different between each other. Can be misleading.

More specific to Rome.. don't forget they start with like 70% of venues already in place. Not to mention that they waited a good long 3 bidding cycles.

Yeah, both Rome and Madrid could host soon with no problems. What I don't know is if the IOC prefers candidates to say they have more than 70% of the infrastructure already in place (à la Madrid) or that they have nothing and they'll build everything new (à la Sochi).

Sochi, South Africa, Rio, Qatar... all of them have ended up better than Madrid, Paris, Chicago, Tokyo or PyeongChang :unsure:

Its about marketing. Don't tell the IOC you have everything ready. you only need that to get beyond the first phase.

We have everything ready = we do not need the Olympic Games.

Didn't Vancouver do that though? They still got the Olympics.

Its why the USA won't get it for a while. If an NFL team can help finance a new stadium that they would use for football, then they could say they needed it. Like a Los Angeles bid, if they decided to build a new stadium to welcome a NFL team and the Olympics.

Its about marketing. Don't tell the IOC you have everything ready. you only need that to get beyond the first phase.

We have everything ready = we do not need the Olympic Games.

It might be not so marketing appealing but I bet has its good relevance considering the global recession the world's living.

Despite that, I think a city like Rome could play some good cards to balance the "already in place" factor, though.

As for Madrid.. they really spent huge in the last two campaigns. Do they have enough money to trow on a third one? :blink:

They do. Madrid will bid for 2020 or 2024. At first, they said Madrid wouldn't bid for 2020 if an African city entered the race too, but I think they were expecting Jo'burg or Cape Town - Durban may not be so frightening. FIFA being criticized for having chosen Qatar might also help Europe for 2020.

On the other hand, the race for the 2018 FIFA World Cup has already finished and Spain will not be the host, but Madrid is still willing to host something big soon. This means the Olympics will be the city's next attempt as there is no World Cup to concentrate the city's efforts on anymore.

And also, the president of the Spanish Olympic Committee is pushing Madrid officials to bid, saying that if the city has worked very hard during the last years to host the Olympics building more than 70% of the venues needed, they can't give up now, or Madrid will need to build everything again if they decide to bid in the future (say 2040, for example). The only problem for a possible bid would be the local elections that will take place in Madrid in May, but it really doesn't matter who the winner will be, as both main candidates have already said they would support the bid.

IMO, if the only technically strong candidate is Rome, Madrid has to bid. It's better facing only Rome than many more European capitals as for 2012.

Archived