Roma 2020 Bid

• Replies 345
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Interesting - I am not au fait with the Italian interior politics, therewith I would like to know why do you think that Venezia would have a chance vs. Roma?

Is it that Berlusconi rely on the Lega Nord? Is Venezia ruled by the Lega Nord? Which party rules Roma?

Hope you find the responses you asked in the summarizing list posted by jackfb about the mess in Italy's politics.

As for Venice's chances vs Rome, I'd say that, taken the schizophrenic italian politics and the strong lobby that Veneto's authorities can set up, I wouldn't exclude Venice a priori.

Hope you find the responses you asked in the summarizing list posted by jackfb about the mess in Italy's politics.

As for Venice's chances vs Rome, I'd say that, taken the schizophrenic italian politics and the strong lobby that Veneto's authorities can set up, I wouldn't exclude Venice a priori.

Don't get me wrong I believe that there are several Italian cities capable to host Summer Olympics (like German cities are), but I doubt that in an international competition about hosting Summer Games cities like Venedig have a real chance.

I have to say that I liked the Roma2004 bid logo much more.

The dark red and yellow are the colors of the city of Rome, but in this logo there are only letters and numbers and not much more...

Somebody's still able to design a REAL logo these days? :blink:

Don't get me wrong I believe that there are several Italian cities capable to host Summer Olympics (like German cities are), but I doubt that in an international competition about hosting Summer Games cities like Venedig have a real chance.

oh I'm with you on this and beside, the only REAL alternative to Rome is still Milan. Period.

Rei, how many people sit on CONI who will vote for the Official Candidate city?

Not sure about how and who (there are no precendents of this kind) but there should be a commission of 10 (the President, his vices, the general secretary, the 5 Ioc members and one rapresentative of the athlets) in charge of evaluate the bids and then the 2 councils of Coni should meet for the final decision.

Rome is not the same as they let you see in the movies!!!! :)

Moreover I do agree with Rei about the internal political stuff.

I do agree Milan is the only city in Italy that can try SOGs. Maybe in the future Turin and Naples too, they have potential. Other cities in Italy are really too small.

More chances with WOGs: Aosta (Valle d'Aosta Alps), Sondrio (Valtellina Alps), Milano (Valtellina Alps - I know it seems crazy but Milan is only 140km far from the Alps - Vancouver-Whistler is approx 125km!), Trento/Bolzano (Dolomites) but that's another story :)

I am fascinated with venice project and I look forward to read the internal bid book. But so far I don't like it.

I do really want to read Rome's one. I did not like some declarations about the venues I read lately.

Well, if somehow internal Italian politics foolishly favor Venice instead of Rome, Venice won't get far at all in the international campaign. Just like Leipzig didn't. Internal German politics astoundedly favored Leipzig in the end over other extremely much better suited cities, but look where they ended up. Immediately in the IOC's trash bin.

Well, if somehow internal Italian politics foolishly favor Venice instead of Rome, Venice won't get far at all in the international campaign. Just like Leipzig didn't. Internal German politics astoundedly favoured Leipzig in the end over other extremely much better suited cities, but look where they ended up. Immediately in the IOC's trash bin.

You can't compare Leipzig & Venice.

Venice has more potential to be sold to IOC members and is more well & good known worldwide (in a positive way). Lobbyers could probably built a good story to tell for the international campaign.

If they managed to correct their plan and to make it a little bit more compact, the could make the cut... And after that... IOC Italian members are pretty persuasive and powerful !

The only way I could see Venice standing any ground (if it were selected by CONI), is if they improve their plan & if the field of 2020 bidders is weak. If 2020's line-up is very strong, Venice is going to be up sh!t's creek without a paddle. So why not go with the city that would be a strong candidate from the get-go in either scenario, & that would be Rome.

I think the Rome logo, its very reminiscent of Roman Imperial emblems and colouring.

Exactly. Infact, dark red is really iconic of Rome on many levels (events, movies, TV-fi etc..)

Anyway there's no logo. It's more like a poster and it works fine for its purpose.

Which venues in particular?

I just wanna wait the official plan but some declarations made me think about a weird bid.

For example the Tor Vergata new complex designed by Calatrava is a Pool complex + Basket/Volley field. They sais yesterday they wanna transform the pool part into a multi-purpose hall for "minor" sports like handball or gymnastics. The fact is work is already almost done!!!!

cal24jt0.jpg

3713_9.jpg

070109camfijas0007ih8.jpg

esterne2117475921031753sw1.jpg

immagine4fk.jpg

Didn't like the use of the strong red. But it's just a bid logo. Maybe they'll change or upgrade it later.

Makes me wonder. Rio handing over the games to Italy would be epic, wouldn't it?

Like I wrote before in another topic,I instead like the "strong" colours (dark red and yellow, Rome's colours).

But I'm hoping for a "real" logo for Roma2020...

About the Rio's handover to Italy, it would be really magical, IMO!

I dont see 2020 as being the right time for another italian games.

To soon after 2006. And to be blunt, from the point of view of an average joe canadian who does read news websites with the morning coffee.....do we really need to send our athletes to a country who has a leader like berlusconni? a man who uses his title as a pick up line. who blantanly humiliates his wife. who sends the leaders of the western world to an earthquake zone and has nothing at all prepared for them to talk about.

im sorry, but this man has ruined the reputation of a once great country. he will hopefully be out of office by the time the 2020 city is named, it will be the one good thing rome will have going for it.

esterne2117475921031753sw1.jpg

Looks like Valencia's new tennis hall - which hasn't convinced me. I love what Calatrava did with Athens' venues but from the inside I'm really not sure about the coldness of this:

Valencia+Open+500+Day+Five+aCZu6rsSKWKl.jpg

It makes me feel like Jonah. I hope the new complex in Rome has a bit more warmth to it and doesn't look like the inside of a giant marine mammal!

Archived