Roma 2020 Bid

• Replies 345
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I think so. They presented logo, plans and everything at conference. This is still the domestic bid, though.

sorry - I didn't see your reply before I posted the link...

Yeah - it seems that Venezia bids too: La Repubblica - Roma contro Venezia sono Giochi all'italiana

I doubt that Venice has a real chance - the city center of Venice is much too small...

I esteem it as a kind of gambit for the tourism in Venice

sorry - I didn't see your reply before I posted the link...

Yeah - it seems that Venezia bids too: La Repubblica - Roma contro Venezia sono Giochi all'italiana

I doubt that Venice has a real chance - the city center of Venice is much too small...

I esteem it as a kind of gambit for the tourism in Venice

They obviously don't bid with a plan which involves historical venice BUT the "land side", that is Mestre. City of Venice, Mestre district. See the dedicated 3d.

the pic in the "la Repubblica" article presents another logo:

194447862-975aca82-4598-449e-b800-f697a8412bad.jpg

as well the corriere dello sport

re226y39X_20100126_immagine_det.jpg

which one is the correct?

This must be just the commitee brand, not the logo.

The official bid logo is the one I posted before. A red square with 5colored curves and the script Roma 2020.

They obviously don't bid with a plan which involves historical venice BUT the "land side", that is Mestre. City of Venice, Mestre district. See the dedicated 3d.

I know that Mestre belongs to Venezia, but I think that there is a problem - if Italy decides to bid with Venezia the world expects, that the Games will be somewhere in the Laguna...

I esteem Venezias bid as public relation - I would understand if Milano, Torino or Firenze would try to bid, but not Venezia...

I have a gut feeling Rome will be knocked out in the first round of voting. Don't know why. It's weird I know.

No way, the Italian IOC members are pretty powerful inside IOC and their fellow colleagues would not give them this disgrace...

Why would it be a "disgrace"?

Maybe the Japanese will try to get "save-face" votes again so they won't get 'disgraced' & go out first.

Besides, somebody has to go out 'first', right. That's the argument that's always used for the 1st out, losing 2016 American bid, anyway.

If it can't be a disgrace for the U.S. going out first, why should it matter if it's Italy.

Exactly. Unless there's an obviously very weak bid which stays on longer than yours, going out first in a race isn't a "disgrace" but rather a risk all bids have to realise is there. In that sense, I wonder how Moscow felt going out before a stadiumless NYC bid 5 years ago (that result has barely been discussed on here actually); but that's for another thread. This thread's about Italy, and we don't know if they'll even bid yet, let alone how strong that bid will be.

Unless there's an obviously very weak bid which stays on longer than yours, going out first in a race isn't a "disgrace" but rather a risk all bids have to realise is there. In that sense, I wonder how Moscow felt going out before a stadiumless NYC bid 5 years ago (that result has barely been discussed on here actually)

But NYC didn't go stadium-less into the vote. They scrambled to get a back-up stadium plan in queens (the Dodgers one, if I'm not mistaken, but they had a back-up).

Besides, can't that same 2012 Moscow parallel be used for 2016? How did Chicago feel going out well before Rio's far more spread-out venue plan that lacked in accommodations & using seperate stadiums for the ceremonies & athletics.

Not really no. Rio's bid was weaker than the others but not so weak that Chicago going out before it was a disgrace. In case you missed the point, I was agreeing with your first post. It wouldn't be a disgrace if Italy went out first because it's a risk all bids take, and one which in a race with a line up of varying, but generally very strong bids, shouldn't be taken too personally.

I have a gut feeling Rome will be knocked out in the first round of voting. Don't know why. It's weird I know.

I have weird feelings Rome won't even pass the domestic race. Those Veneti can be really tricky when they want to.

... do you think that Venezia has a chance in the international competition about hosting Olympic Summer Games?

Not really. Rather, I have feelings that things may turn out to favour some inner polical game over a strategic view.

Afterall, it's not just about the olympics. National politics is involved too.

Not really. Rather, I have feelings that things may turn out to favour some inner polical game over a strategic view.

Afterall, it's not just about the olympics. National politics is involved too.

Interesting - I am not au fait with the Italian interior politics, therewith I would like to know why do you think that Venezia would have a chance vs. Roma?

Is it that Berlusconi rely on the Lega Nord? Is Venezia ruled by the Lega Nord? Which party rules Roma?

That's the political situation...both in Rome and Venice all the main parties support the respective bids

Gianni Alemanno,mayor of Rome:PDL (centre-right),

Massimo Cacciari,mayor of Venice:PD (centre-left),

Nicola Zingaretti,president of the province of Rome:PD (centre-left)

Francesca Zaccariotto,president of the province of Venice:Northern League (centreright,allied with PDL)

Giancarlo Galan,president of Veneto region:PDL (centre-right)

the presidency of Latium region is vacant after a sex scandal involving the former president Piero Marrazzo:PD (centre-left)

in march there will be the regional elections in both Veneto and Latium and the municipal elections in Venice!

Archived