Vancouver 2010 Shop

I am totally "p*ssed off" by the official Vancouver 2010 shop at the moment. I just wanted to order something and then I had read in the "FAQs" that this shop dare not to accept payments by other credit cards than by VISA only....

That borders on insolence - I won't order another credit card just to be able to order merchandising from the Olympic Games!

When the IOC don't want to get my money - then this should be!

I just wonder if I would be able to order tickets with EUROCARD/MASTERCARD or if I had to order a VISACARD, too...

:angry::huh::angry:

Edited by Citius Altius Fortius
  • Like 2

How shite is that? Talk about shooting yourself in the foot.

I know sponsorships mean a lot, but this isn't the same as, for example, only being able to buy Coca-cola in the venues. This isn't going to win VISA any new business and will lose VANOC money. People aren't going to get a new card just to get a soft toy. Stupid, stupid policy I completely agree.

• Like 2

thanks for your support, Rob!

yeah that is definitely shooting in the foot - maybe such policy works in North America, but in Europe it doesn't work - I WON'T EVER ORDER ANOTHER CREDIT CARD - when I am in the USA I use my EUROCARD or I go to an ATM (I have to admit that I haven't been to Canada so far) - I even could get money with my bank card at WESTPAC in Oz without any fees (due my bank cooperates with WESTPAC), why should I order a VISACARD?

One credit card is totally enough - with several credit cards you can loose very fast the overview about your expenses!!!

@ michael,

that doesn't is good customer service (by the way it is a scandal, that there is no contact form on the IOC website)

Well exactly, I've only had a Visa for a few months now, before that I only had a Mastercard. I've never seen a shop only offer one credit card before on the internet. I've been to online shops where I can't use a debit card, which is a little annoying, but to only offer one credit card is terrible service. As you said, if VANOC and the IOC don't want people's money, that's their lookout.

Visa is on board with London 2012 as well. We'll have to see how they work that one.

Well, you'd better be prepared for it Rob, it's going to be the same in London.

It's part of Visa TOP contract: VISA is the exclusive credit card for the Olympics, meaning it's the only one that you can use to pay in all official retail place: venues, Olympic Village, Official Website... It's been like this for years (at least since Athens, probably longer).

It's only really annoying for on-line shopping, otherwise, you can always use cash to pay on-site.

It's part of Visa TOP contract: VISA is the exclusive credit card for the Olympics, meaning it's the only one that you can use to pay in all official retail place: venues, Olympic Village, Official Website... It's been like this for years (at least since Athens, probably longer).

Actually, since I think Los Angeles 1984 when American Express was the Official Credit Card Sponsor of those Games (but I think they also took Visa on the side then..)

I know Lillehammer-Atlanta was exclusively VISA (when they paid $40 mil for TOP rights then); couldn't use AmEx or the others at the Official venues.

But I believe the same thing goes for the World Cup which is MasterCard territory. It's just the way the cookie crumbles.

So have been using my VISA more often than not because they always dangle the FREE Olympic package if you use Visa and then somehow win one of the lotteries. As we tell Pillan, you can't win it if you ain't in it.

(Sorry, can't support you on this one, CAF...but I'm just play by the existing set-up...)

... me neither ...

When ticket applications for Olympic Games are available online only and then just one credit card is accepted the IOC shouldn't be astonished that there is an "uproar"

It isn't important if it is Visa, Amex or Mastercard - this restriction on just one card is unbelievable - I even would complain by the IOC!!!!

• Like 1

Afraid I will cave in this week and get one. Being there for two weeks I will need one I think!

well - Vancouver is a metropole, where you can get money on ATMs and other credit cards will be widely accepted too.

I suppose you are customer of a widely spread common bank in London, which has definitely offices in Vancouver too resp. has a correspondence bank in Canada, where you can get money without any fee...

I am not sure why everyone here is complaining about why VANOC is only accepting VISA? Visa paid to be a sponsor for the Olympics. Mastercard or AMEX could have done the same. I don't hear people complaining that they cannot buy Pepsi at the Olympics when Coke is the main sponsor.

There is a reason why these companies paid huge amounts of money to be a sponsor..... They want the exculsive business and if you don't like it then just use cash.

VISA has been the only accepted card at Nagano, SLC, Sydney, Torino, Athens, Beijing etc etc - it is the TOP contract and it is widley publicised.

Mastercard has a similar deal with the FIFA World Cup - you can only buy tickets with a Mastercard.

The simple way around it is cash if you are going to the Games or try your luck on eBay.

What annoys me more is that VANOC wont post to Australia - so we cant use the Olympic Shop online at all. NZ can.

Visa is pretty dominate in Canada to begin with, out of our big banks only one is non-VISA. If you want a mastercard you have to go out and look and Amex is not widely accepted. So it won't be a big deal. I think the worst thing is that there will be no debit at the games because debit is predominately mastercard based.

What annoys me more is that VANOC wont post to Australia - so we cant use the Olympic Shop online at all. NZ can.

I didn't realise that - I was counting on going online to get my traditional games t-shirt!

Hmmm. Could I trouble someone to pick me up one for suitable re-imbursement?

That's the rule of the games...

First do not blame VANOC, they could not do anything regarding this.

As mentionned this is because of IOC Top Sponsors marketing program and VISA exclusivity.

Somes said that IOC is losing money by only accepting VISA.

In fact, studies shown that the % of loss (clients that will never buy tickets, merchandises... with a visa card) is very small compared to the high and long term contract they have with VISA. And most people found solutions if they do not have a visa card : using cash on venues or using a relative/friend's card to order on line...

VISA has been the only accepted card at Nagano, SLC, Sydney, Torino, Athens, Beijing etc etc - it is the TOP contract and it is widley publicised.

Mastercard has a similar deal with the FIFA World Cup - you can only buy tickets with a Mastercard.

The simple way around it is cash if you are going to the Games or try your luck on eBay.

Really that stinks that they wont post to Australia. I wonder why when they post to New Zealand.

That's the rule of the games...

First do not blame VANOC, they could not do anything regarding this.

As mentionned this is because of IOC Top Sponsors marketing program and VISA exclusivity.

Somes said that IOC is losing money by only accepting VISA.

In fact, studies shown that the % of loss (clients that will never buy tickets, merchandises... with a visa card) is very small compared to the high and long term contract they have with VISA. And most people found solutions if they do not have a visa card : using cash on venues or using a relative/friend's card to order on line...

Of course I know that sponsorship is very important for sport events and that many international events won't be possible without it, but I also think that our economy requires a general medium of exchange = money.

1 €/US$/CA$/AU$/NZ$/£ is 1 €/US$/CA$/AU$/NZ$/£ - no matter if I have a bank account by bank B or bank A or a credit card from D or C.

I esteem it as generally wrong that an online webshop or ticketshop except money from a special credit card only - no matter if it is the IOC with VISA or FIFA with MASTERCARD.

The sponsorship by e.g. car/PC manifacturer is in my point of view something completely different, since such sponsorship doesn't interfere in a general thing like a payment is...

You mention that most people found solutions to buy something without the 'required' credit card - then why do they restrict the payments options just on one credit card?

I think a TOP sponsorship with credit cards are just a vexations (no matter if it is the IOC with VISA or FIFA with MASTERCARD)...

• Like 1