Historical Footage Of The Olympics

Sir Rols

WOW!! That is some rare colour footage, Rol!! A good 2-3 years before the commercial releases of WIZARD OF OZ and GONE WITH THE WIND!! Must've been some early Eastman Kodak or Pathe film there!! I wondered how much of that got used in "Berlin '36" (which I would still like to see).

Very interesting footage. Excellent find!

The Nazi Olympics, how interesting, every time I remember they occurred I wonder how that was possible.

Well, that's what could happen when you outsource your parties. The IOC is just too cheap to pay for their own shindigs. THey never learn.

BTW, Berlin 1936 might have been less of a success if the US had boycotted earlier. As it is, the German Olympic Committee (NOT the Berlin Organzing Committee) waited until the ship bringing the US team had left New York before they started removing the Jewish athletes from the roster. So there was nothing the US could do; not even turn back. READ ALL ABOUT IT in Chapter 2 of my book!!

just some remarks about the Berlin 1936 Olympics

- the IOC awarded the Games to Germany before the Nazi took over power -> therewith it was given to the first democratic Germany

- the Berlin 1936 Olympics were very very successful and were esteemed from the world as the best Olympics so far - the mind didn't changed before the total dimension of the Nazi atrocities became public in 1945

- the Berlin 1936 Olympics were not the only Olympics, which were held in totalitarian states (Moscow 1980, Sarajevo 1984 and Beijing 2008)

it's just so amazing seeing all those Nazi flags, and propaganda. They were probably the first Olympics to have such a major graphic identity, but in that case it was all about the Nazi propaganda.

The preponderance of the Nazi trappigs were mostly outside the 'official' venues...but yes, the Nazis hijacked the 'look' of those Games and did so in such fiendish and successful ways.

Well, two years after this we had the England football team in Germany doing a Nazi saulte in Berlin following the Foreign Office's policy of appeasement.

salute_1938.jpg

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/magazine/3128202.stm

Sport and politics have always been uncomfortable bedfellows even to this day. I wonder how people will look back on Beijing 2008 in 70 years time, for example.

• 3 weeks later...

Folks...added some footage to YouTube recently from Bud Greenspan's official Sydney 2000 film:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8nVordLdsLo

Great video thanks for posting. Do you know where you can purchase Bud Greenspan's official olympic films?

Thanks

Hi Michael

Not sure but the usual haunts (Amazon, Ebay etc) may have some available, plus I'm sure the IOC's Museum in Lausanne will have stock in their shop. I have vids of most of Greenspan's efforts since 1984, thanks to a brilliant series brought out just before Sydney 2000. Getting the Sydney 2000 vid took some detective work..ended up scoring it from a guy who was one of Greenspan's cameramen or cinematographers. As for later Greenspan vids not sure where to look.

• 4 weeks later...

interesting documentary about the architecture of München 1972 with rare footage of the first plans of the roof (and a very short view on the proposed Olympic Park of Detroit!!!)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LwY7H4glYS0

documentary about the look of München 1972

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BvpUMx2ZY5w

Rare find i have found now. A friend of mine shared with me a couple of years ago some audio files of Squaw Valley 1960 Winter Olympics opening ceremony (which was directed by Walt Disney) and i found them again on an old CD i had arround. I have posted on youtube the ''Parade of the Olympians'' music used during the parade of nations (and probably the most recognized song of these games)

The Olympic All American Marching Band at Los Angeles 1984 performed this music again at the closing ceremony

The rest of the audio tracks has the speciall arrangement of the Olympic Anthem (part of it was used as well on LA'84 at the entrance of the olympic flag) and the arrival of the flame. Probably i'll post them in the future.

• 2 weeks later...

Archived