Ice Hockey

As you all know it would be considered a disaster by most individuals if the Canadian Men's Ice Hockey team doesn't win Gold here in Canada at these Olympics. Unfortunately, I do see us losing the Gold to the Russian squad. They just seem so strong but I'm still holding out for the Canadian Gold here due to our home ice advantage.

My current predictions:

Men's

GOLD: RUSSIA

SILVER: CANADA

BRONZE: USA

Women's

GOLD: CANADA

SILVER: USA

BRONZE: SWEDEN

What is everyone's picks?

The Russians lack depth, there defense beyond Gonchar sucks and their goaltending is 'ok' at best. Sweden is the bigger threat, they have more balance and are stronger at more positions then the Russians. You play a defensive game against the Russians and they will get frustrated and take penalties like they have been doing for the past decade at all levels.

I should also mention it all depends on matches up

If the semi-finalist are Canada vs. USA and Russia vs Sweden then the results would be different then Canada vs Russia and USA vs Sweden or Russia vs USA and Canada vs Sweden. I just can't predict other then I think the tournament breaks down as follows

Potential Gold Medalist

Canada

Russian Federation

Sweden

Sh!t Disturbers

United States of America

Outside Looking In

Czech Republic

Finland

Upsetters

Slovakia

Switzerland

Out of It

Belarus

Germany

Norway

Edited by Faster

I won't make a specific prediction, but I think quite a few people are underestimating the US. They have great goal-tending, and thats really all you need in that kind of tournament. That said, a Canada-Russia final would be quite the barnburner...

They don't have the scoring of defense. Great goaltending will only get you so far. They could cause some upsets like Finland did last time but I think a Bronze is about the best they can hope for.The USA also has a lot of players that can and will take stupid penalties. Its a Brian Burke team, that is a trademark.

I agree Russia and Canada are the favorites. But think some people underate Sweden!! On paper Sweden clearly has the 3rd best team. It's way closer between Canada/Russia and Sweden than between Sweden and the rest of the teams. Honestly I can't see how anyone can pick USA over Sweden! USA has great goaltending, but that's it. Offense and defense don't look very good. So I predict Canada, Russa or Sweden for gold. But I also think one of these countries will do pretty bad and miss medal. It's always at least one team who does much better than they should do by judging of their roster.

• 2 weeks later...

I think Canada's going to win gold, both men & women. I think probably Russia & Finland will duke it out for the men's silver and bronze, and for the women it'll be between USA and Sweden. I don't really follow hockey so these are just hunches. I'll be rooting for China on the women's side, simply b/c sometimes I enjoy rooting for the under-dogs that have no chance. tongue.gif

No its all based on rankings after the preliminary round. So it won't be until the 21st or 22nd that the ranking and match-ups and figured out.

Apparently the Canadian population is more worried about the U.S. than the Russians, when they were asked in a recent poll which team will give them the toughest competition. The Russians are defending world champions, and the Americans aren't even expected to medal. Why even worry about the U.S? Pay attention to Russia.

Link: http://www.ctvolympics.ca/news-centre/newsid=33318.html#canadians+want+medal+haul+dominance+poll

Does anyone know who goes to which quarter and semi finals? (assuming they get through)

The 12 teams are divided into three groups in the Preliminary Round:

At the conclusion of the 18-game Preliminary Round, all 12 teams will be ranked in a joint ranking "D". This ranking will be used for seeding the teams in the Qualification Playoff games and will used for calculating the Final Ranking at the conclusion of the 2010 Olympic Winter Games Men's Tournament.

After the Preliminary Round, 1D, 2D, 3D and 4D will receive a bye into the Quarter-finals and will be named as the Home Team for their Quarter-final pairing.

The Qualification Playoff games will be played with the following match-ups (Group E):

5D - 12D (Winner will become E1)

6D - 11D (Winner will become E2)

7D - 10D (Winner will become E3)

8D - 9D (Winner will become E4)

The four winning teams of the Qualification Playoff games will advance to the Quarter-final Round. The four losing teams of the Qualification Playoff games will be ranked 9 through 12 according to their ranking after the Preliminary Round.

The Quarter-final Games will be played with the following match-ups (Group F):

1D - E4 (Winner will become F1)

2D - E3 (Winner will become F2)

3D - E2 (Winner will become F3)

4D - E1 (Winner will become F4)

The Semi-Final games will be played with the following match-ups. The home team will be the higher ranked team as determined at the completion of the Preliminary Round (Group D):

F1 - F4

F2 - F3

IMPORTANT NOTE FOR CANADIAN FAN AND USA FAN :

QUALIFICATION PLAYOFF ROUND :

QP1 - if playing in Qualification playoffs, USA to play in the 12.00 game

QP2 - if playing in Qualification playoffs, CAN to play in the 16.30 game

QUARTER FINAL ROUND :

QF1 - if qualified, USA to play in the 12.00 game

QF2 - if qualified, CAN to play in the 16.30 game

SEMI-FINAL ROUND :

SF1 - if qualified, USA to play in the 12.00 game

SF2 - if qualified, CAN to play in the 18.30 game

The 12 teams are divided into three groups in the Preliminary Round:

At the conclusion of the 18-game Preliminary Round, all 12 teams will be ranked in a joint ranking "D". This ranking will be used for seeding the teams in the Qualification Playoff games and will used for calculating the Final Ranking at the conclusion of the 2010 Olympic Winter Games Men's Tournament.

After the Preliminary Round, 1D, 2D, 3D and 4D will receive a bye into the Quarter-finals and will be named as the Home Team for their Quarter-final pairing.

The Qualification Playoff games will be played with the following match-ups (Group E):

5D - 12D (Winner will become E1)

6D - 11D (Winner will become E2)

7D - 10D (Winner will become E3)

8D - 9D (Winner will become E4)

The four winning teams of the Qualification Playoff games will advance to the Quarter-final Round. The four losing teams of the Qualification Playoff games will be ranked 9 through 12 according to their ranking after the Preliminary Round.

The Quarter-final Games will be played with the following match-ups (Group F):

1D - E4 (Winner will become F1)

2D - E3 (Winner will become F2)

3D - E2 (Winner will become F3)

4D - E1 (Winner will become F4)

The Semi-Final games will be played with the following match-ups. The home team will be the higher ranked team as determined at the completion of the Preliminary Round (Group D):

F1 - F4

F2 - F3

QUARTER FINAL ROUND :

SEMI-FINAL ROUND :

thanks, most useful

QUARTER FINAL ROUND :

SEMI-FINAL ROUND :

I think I may have misunderstood this the first time round.

Can I clarify does it mean that CAN only play in the 18:30 Semi Final Game IF they don't have to play in the qualification playoffs?

I have Semi Final 2 tickets is the reason I ask, and hoped Cnnada would be in this one. Is there a chance they won't. At the moment they don't look like winning their group (based on today's performance)