India to Bid for 2014 Asian Games

India...?

India.

Ohh,look at the place like a european city is downtown of New Delhis,and you also could see the slum around there.

I really worry about this sitiation of India.And i also worry about that in China. Now i think that China have a better situation like that,but that's really a big problem of developing.

Now we clould say that the rich and the pool in India just like the two sides of "()=()" and i think that's a not good situation for a developing coutury like India.The poor is too poor and the rich is richer and richer...

AFTER ALL, New Delhis is a good bid city.

Hi Wen Ting!

It is still too early .... anyway, good luck Delhi! Next week will see a grand celebration in KL and Beijing for the 30th anniversary of Malaysia-China diplomatic ties. A strong 200 business leaders from Malaysia are ready to annouce on new major investments in China. Malaysian PM will be arriving in Beijing in a few days. Lets celebrate!!

Hi Wen Ting!

It is still too early .... anyway, good luck Delhi! Next week will see a grand celebration in KL and Beijing for the 30th anniversary of Malaysia-China diplomatic ties. A strong 200 business leaders from Malaysia are ready to annouce on new major investments in China. Malaysian PM will be arriving in Beijing in a few days. Lets celebrate!!

mmm...

Good news.Let's waiting... :)

ive been new delhi and i can confirm that the transport system there is a mess, if games are to take place in india, mumbai, chennai and hydrabad should be considered like the 2003 afro-asian games in hydrabad. but on a positive note, the new delhi metro is currently being built and it is progressing nicely!  :grinning:

ive been new delhi and i can confirm that the transport system there is a mess, if games are to take place in india, mumbai, chennai and hydrabad should be considered like the 2003 afro-asian games in hydrabad. but on a positive note, the new delhi metro is currently being built and it is progressing nicely!  :grinning:

Yes, i've been to India as well, and agree with what you have to say.

But New delhi is hosting 2010 CG's, so for a 2014 asian games, wouldn't all the facilities be in place, and the transport situation have significantly improved? Becuase they will have to substantially modernise for 2010.

Is the New delhi metro going to be an underground system like the London underground, Paris metro etc?

Dearest Wen Ting,

Sorry, it is supposed to be 500 business leaders and not 200.

It will generate billions in investment for both countries. Thanks!!

I don't know.... Delhi's 2006's Asian Games bid was poor. Nobody paid attention to them. They were eliminated in the first round by Hong Kong, KL, and Doha.

By 2014, I think KL is gonna bid again... and for the 2016 Olympics... not sure about KL but if KL were to bid, KL would stand better technically than Delhi... the only playcard Delhi (India) can hope for was to sell the "world's largest democracy" thingy and the "second world's populous nation"... but then it's already a has-been since Beijing and China had already played the biggest population sentiment. What next? The 3rd populous nation? This thing can go on and on and countries like NZ will have to wait till 75% of the world host the olympics before they can do that.. lol!

But New delhi is hosting 2010 CG's, so for a 2014 asian games, wouldn't all the facilities be in place, and the transport situation have significantly improved? Becuase they will have to substantially modernise for 2010.

The CG's have only 16 sports or so...

The Asian Games have about 35 sports...

By 2010, Delhi would only have less than half of the venues ready for the Asian Games. And those venues need to be further upgrade to accommodate greater number of nations and spectators of the Asian Games...

I apologise but I know very little about the Asian Games but aren't the Commonwealth Games now a bigger prize than the Asian Games are and India already has that in 2010.

I understood that the Commonwealth games were now 2nd to the Olympics.

I guess the CG's are regarded as more of a prize in respect of the fact that they are a global rather than a regional event. They are more lucrative to sponsors because the CG's are televised over all of the continents and in areas which are economically important as international markets and sources of tourism due to the historic links between the nations of the Commonwealth. The asian Games are important for countires to sell themselves as an Asian destination to other asians and in securing good relations between neighbouring countries. Just IMO though! :)

Dearest Mallaka,

It depends. CG is second after the Olympics in the number of participating coutries but AG is ahead in the number of athletes. Clear? Thanks!!

• 1 year later...
According to the finally-updated International Games Archive, it seems that the Indian bid for the 2014 Asian Games is still on track. However, that competing Korean bid is kind of unique to me here.

Dearest Mallaka,

It depends. CG is second after the Olympics in the number of participating coutries but AG is ahead in the number of athletes. Clear? Thanks!!

:) In size the CGs are next to the OGs.

BUT demographically the Asian games would rate a natural second, population wise.  Also the AGs encompases Asia while the CGs are for former colonial dominions in which there are only a handfull of nations.

I say go for it India! the vastly upgraded facilities left over from the CGs would do fine and allow a stepping stone for the OGs within twenty years.

Dearest Mallaka,

:) In size the CGs are next to the OGs.

BUT demographically the Asian games would rate a natural second, population wise.  Also the AGs encompases Asia while the CGs are for former colonial dominions in which there are only a handfull of nations.

I say go for it India! the vastly upgraded facilities left over from the CGs would do fine and allow a stepping stone for the OGs within twenty years.

I also support New Delhi :)

No, we've been thru this before.  I believe the Universiades (WUG and the Winter version) are next to the OGs in terms of both number of member countries AND # of participating athletes in the last 2 editions.  Do NOT count Scotland, No. Ireland, Wales and the Faroe islands.  That's cheating.

I haven't seen the Universiades in my entire life... instead I see the Mediterranean Games  :laugh:

No, we've been thru this before.  I believe the Universiades (WUG and the Winter version) are next to the OGs in terms of both number of member countries AND # of participating athletes in the last 2 editions.  Do NOT count Scotland, No. Ireland, Wales and the Faroe islands.  That's cheating.

Probably the best way to compare how big a "prize" the various events are would be TV viewership/broadcast rights value figures.

In which case, I suspect it would probably rank as:

1 Olympics

2 FIFA World Cup

3 Commonwealth Games or US Super Bowl

Have the Universiades ever been televised?

Most likely in the countries that host them. Otherwise, not to the rest of the world that I know of.

I've seen them and I've never heard of them until I joined GB... :rolleyes:  :oops:

Most likely in the countries that host them. Otherwise, not to the rest of the world that I know of.

I've seen them and I've never heard of them until I joined GB... :rolleyes:  :oops:

yeah likewise!  Still now I know they exist, but do they call them the University Games?  If so then I've heard of them, but they don't get any coverage in NZ outside of campus.

yeah likewise!  Still now I know they exist, but do they call them the University Games?  If so then I've heard of them, but they don't get any coverage in NZ outside of campus.

But Universiade comes from "University" or from "Universal"? :help:  :Oo:

Me as well. And I think Guardian's about the only one here who seems to follow them, or at least news of them.

Archived