Vancouver Parade Of Nations Signs

^^

Albertville had such a freaky ceremony....

I'm pretty confident they will be both French and English, specially because Quebec has been putting a lot of pressure on VANOC to make the games bilingual.

Quebec havent really pressure Vanoc.... but Quebec made a partnership with Vanoc... everything that need to be translated...Quebec is there to help every step of the way. So the only pressure VANOC have from Quebec is the fact they is no excuse to not make the games bilingual since they have the ressources to make the games bilingual. In fact, it's graham fraser (not from Quebec) that put the most pressure on the games to be bilingual. Graham Fraser did a really good job.

So far Vanoc have done good things to make the games bilingual, but a lot of mistakes also.... but as a french canadian I'm really satisfied with what have been accomplished with vanoc even if not perfect.... Vancouver is a special place in the sense not so many peoples in vancouver speaks french compare to others cities in canada... I think french is only the 9th more spoken language in Vancouver so I can understand why many vancouverites doesnt seem to see the importance to make those games bilingual in the same way it was important to make substainable venues. But in fact, if those games arent bilingual it will be a HUGE FAILURE.

If peoples remember bid books Vanoc loves to write that canada was bilingual.... and the world is expecting bilingual games. The games should not be bilingual for Québec. They need to be bilingual because Canada have two official languages and the global event have been promoted as bilingual games since the beginning. John furlong loves to say " Vancouver 2010 are canada's games. canada ="frenchglish country". Canada's history have been shape by exemple with the ping-pong between french canada/english canada as much USA have been shape with slavery battles. Also those games should not be bilingual for Québec but for all the french canadians living in the country. Maillardville who knows maillardville? It's in Coquitlam and this community said multiple time maillarville will be the French`s cradle of the games. Let just see if it will be happening! Others french communities in Canada included Ottawa (orleans), sudbury, Manitoba St Boniface, St Norbert,St-Vital, Lorette, St-Anne, St-Pierre, etc) , New Brunswick (Campbellton, Moncton, Bathurst, etc) and the list is almost endless. French canada is much more than Quebec!

Every provinces have strong french communities really inspiring and the games need to be bilingual for all french canadian who fight to protect our language like an olympian fight to achieve their dreams. It's not easy being french.... and every canadian are shape because of it. Being a minority isnt easy but I luv being canadian more than anything in the world.

I havent write all of this, in a negative tone... but in a positive tone!

i'm also thinking what the name bearers will be wearing? i liked their outfits in sydney and salt lake city. of the sporting events (e.g. olympics or asian games) the best outfits for me were the 1998 asian games in thailand were the name bearers wore different versions of thai costumes. i wonder if any prominent retired athletes will serve as name bearers? i remember at SLC Steve Young carried the placard for Great Britain.

Why not rcmp uniform?

Fully dressed RCMP officers will be present for the medal ceremonies. I wouldn't doubt they'd be present for the arrival of the Governor General or the presentation of the Canadian Flag.

I wonder if the Vice Regal salute (first four bars of God Save The Queen and O Canada) will be played when the Governor General arrives...and will she arrive on carriage like at Calgary? (or some other big entrance like the welcoming of the Greek President in Athens)

I wonder if the Vice Regal salute (first four bars of God Save The Queen and O Canada) will be played when the Governor General arrives...and will she arrive on carriage like at Calgary? (or some other big entrance like the welcoming of the Greek President in Athens)

Most likely. The Vice Regal salute was used in Calgary 1988, and it was used as well on the 1999 Pan American Games on Winnipeg (altough it was a member of the royal family who opened these games). I dont think she'll have much of a big entrance anyway

They should be in French and English, and only written once if they are spelt the same.

I imagine the order will be based on the English spelling, though in the past French has been considered the language of diplomacy.

I am hoping for LCD screen placards :-) They could display the spelling in both languages separately and incorporate some sort of splash graphics.

My favourite placards were the 3D cylinders from Barcelona.

The ones from Sydney and Nagano were boring.

Athens ones were hard to read. Beijing was nice, but text got kinda small.

Remember the Albertville ones?

I wish for Athens and Beijing they just left the signs in only Greek and only Chinese respectively. It'd be more reflective of the host country's culture, plus having 3 languages on on sign is just too much, especially for the countries that have to have the really long names like Former Yugoslav Republic of Macedonia or United States of America.

I really like your LCD idea! Have the name in English *splash effect* name in French. Maybe do another spalsh effect and then show the outline of the country, although that probably wouldn't work for countries with disputed borders like India and Pakistan. It wouldn't work really well for Oceanian countries that have a bigillion little islands, but none of them are going to be in the winter Olympics anyway. tongue.gif

English and French, repeating even when the spelling is the same. And probably alternating with either on top of the other.

As it should be.

I suspect the GG will be in her seat already when the ceremony starts. Then there will be a welcome to the traditional, shared territories of the FHFN.

The finale will be the purposeful blasting off of the roof by the cauldron, launching a rocket that lights a second cauldron at Lighthouse Point in Stanley Park.

English and French, repeating even when the spelling is the same. And probably alternating with either on top of the other.

As it should be.

I suspect the GG will be in her seat already when the ceremony starts. Then there will be a welcome to the traditional, shared territories of the FHFN.

The finale will be the purposeful blasting off of the roof by the cauldron, launching a rocket that lights a second cauldron at Lighthouse Point in Stanley Park.

Well, do remember that there will likely be two announcers and each will be responsible for one of the two languages....ideally, French goes to a female and English to a male. Sydney's ceremonies had great announcers, and they did the male/female i just mentioned. In Salt Lake, it was also male/female but the male voice was a bit too "comical". In Athens, all 3 were Greek female voice. At Torino, the announcers were meant to sound like circus announcers...total mess. At Beijing, another thumbs up like Sydney.

Usually there is an opening segment, and then the head of state (or representative), the IOC president, and the president of the organizing committee are introduced.

At Torino, the announcers were meant to sound like circus announcers

Was that really the organisers'/producers' intention? If yes, that's interesting. It would explain at least a little bit why the woman making the English announcement sounded as if she was on Speed. ;) Horrible announcer! Even that female Japanese announcer in Nagano with her squeaky child voice (the Japanese obviously love such fake-innocent announcing voices, I've already heard them many times in Japanese commercials, TV clips and other sports events) did a slightly better job.

Was that really the organisers'/producers' intention? If yes, that's interesting. It would explain at least a little bit why the woman making the English announcement sounded as if she was on Speed. ;) Horrible announcer! Even that female Japanese announcer in Nagano with her squeaky child voice (the Japanese obviously love such fake-innocent announcing voices, I've already heard them many times in Japanese commercials, TV clips and other sports events) did a slightly better job.

she probably slept with Berlusconi to get the job

Usually there is an opening segment, and then the head of state (or representative), the IOC president, and the president of the organizing committee are introduced.

The Head of State is always introduced, but it's always up to the host to whether make it flashy or modest.

Flashy:

- Calgary: the GG came into the stadium on a horse carriage, the whole procession took about 3-minutes

- Salt Lake: Bush walked into the stadium as Hail to the Chief was playing

- Athens: the Greek President walked into the stadium floor, joining the ATHOC and IOC President and then walking to the flags to hear the Greek anthem

Modest:

- Sydney: the GG simply rose up as he was introduced

- Torino: head of state simply rose up

- Beijing: kiddo

Yes, that was their intention in one of their many 3-month advance previews of the Ceremonies. The whole theme of their Ceremonies was focused around a circus.

The question at Vancouver is, will the Vice-Regal salute be played?

The Right Honourable Govenor General Jean Sauve arrive at McMahon Stadium in Calgary 1988 for the Opening Ceremony, followed by the playing of the Vice Regal salute (the news anchor talking is Canada's own Peter Jennings):

I'm pretty sure it will be played again (they did it as well on Winnipeg 99 Pan Am Games opening), but they dont really need to make a flashy entrance for the GG. Altough i think it will sound somewhat weird that they play the Canadian anthem after the salute :lol: (unless they do the salute before the countdown/first performance).

And god..no, dont make me talk about Torino announcers, the woman one still give me nightmares.

Modest:

- Sydney: the GG simply rose up as he was introduced

- Torino: head of state simply rose up

Not quite right. Sydney played a jazzy welcome fanfare for the Governor General, the IOC president and the other dignitaries. (Starting at 4:14)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=a3715U7zRQQ

And in Torino, they at least announced the arrival of the Italian president and the IOC president, without a fanfare. (Starting at 1:39)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LYgXFhFU3IQ&feature=channel

Only in Beijing, the two presidents were already seated and simply "called up" by the announcers.

Only in Beijing, the two presidents were already seated and simply "called up" by the announcers.

Before the countdown, the two presidents entered the tribune and they were greeted by a chinese military band at one of the sides of the stadium (a little a la Athens 2004). After the countdown, they were simply called up.

Yes, that was their intention in one of their many 3-month advance previews of the Ceremonies. The whole theme of their Ceremonies was focused around a circus.

I think it was just the Closing. There weren't too many clowns (well...) and commedia del'arte elements in the Opening. The Opening was more regional and ending on a note of high theatre (Pavarotti's swan song).

Edited by baron-pierreIV
  • Like 1