Vancouver Parade Of Nations Signs

I'm pretty sure that the signs will have a nice blue color on a white background with icy border. That's my opinion. I'm not sure if it is going to be in english or french alphabetical order.

Wouldn't the signs be in English, since Vancouver is in English-speaking Canada? Maybe the signs will be in English and French.

I hope who ever carries the signs wears something simple, not a dress modeled after a mountain like in 2006.

Probably English, since that's the most spoken language in B.C., am I right?

I'm guessing bilingual because french is the main language of IOC and Canada is bilingual =ioc+the word=expect bilingual.....

I'm sure it will be bilingual

But I wont be upset if it's only in English.... since it might look better uni language anyway (the signs I mean)

They should be in French and English, and only written once if they are spelt the same.

I imagine the order will be based on the English spelling, though in the past French has been considered the language of diplomacy.

I am hoping for LCD screen placards :-) They could display the spelling in both languages separately and incorporate some sort of splash graphics.

My favourite placards were the 3D cylinders from Barcelona.

The ones from Sydney and Nagano were boring.

Athens ones were hard to read. Beijing was nice, but text got kinda small.

Remember the Albertville ones?

They are in French and English, and that's not a ceremony secret, that's a ceremony requirement as per the IOC. Those with the same names in both languages will probably be written twice since most have certain accent marks in the French version that do not exist in the English transcription.

Placards from Calgary 1988. They were on english, but the announcer said the names both in french and english. I think the placards will be written on english because we're talking about BC, and i dont think there's going to be a big fuss about it, as long as the announcer on the Vancouver ceremonies uses both languages.

PD: Notice on the vid how they said China instead of PRC :lol: i hope they dont commit the same mistake.

Well its become normal that both official IOC languages and then the local language. They will be in both English and French and probably like 20 other aboriginal languages too.

The announcements, like all Olympics will be in English and French. The announcements for the torch relay festivities were in both English and French and this will continue until the games are through.

If I remember correctly, Calgary's were English on front and French on the back. The last significant multisport event in Canada, the 1999 Pan Am Games in Winnipeg, had them in the official languages on signs that looked like giant tennis racquets.

• 2 weeks later...

i'm also thinking what the name bearers will be wearing? i liked their outfits in sydney and salt lake city. of the sporting events (e.g. olympics or asian games) the best outfits for me were the 1998 asian games in thailand were the name bearers wore different versions of thai costumes. i wonder if any prominent retired athletes will serve as name bearers? i remember at SLC Steve Young carried the placard for Great Britain.

I have it on good authority that the placard bearers will be wearing outfits that are fashionable and stylish and could easily be worn again in public...not like a snow globe or an alpine village diorama attached to a dress.

any idea who's designing it? any of top canada's fashion designer doing it?