New Zealand...RWC or Olympics

:) A heated debate on this forum has now spilled out into the public arena reguarding New Zealand's lack luster stadia.

Some excellent - Wellington, Jade(when finished), North Habour(like wise)

Some outgrown for their surroundings - Eden Park (not even a respectable cricket ground anymore)

Others that are downright disgusting - Erricson, Carisbrooke(although being rebuilt),  QEII Park (a wasted potential)

All have one thing in common - Just too small for future international events.  RWC and Commonwealth Games aside, if New Zealand even wants to host the really big events, such as co-hosting with Australia the FIFA WC or an Auckland Olympics in the distant future.  The planning for a National stadium of 80 000 seats must now begin.

Auckland, of course would be the best site, however there is room for other cities as well.

I know that the NZRFU have got SPARC to put together a study for the feasibility of building a large national stadium - a study needs to be done, but SPARC? I know it's part of their job description, but they are so bloody tight and don't want us to have any fun at all.  :(

I think that there probably needs to be a stadium, in the same ballpark as Cardiff's Millennium Stadium - seating somewhere between 65,000 and 80,000 people. A retractable roof isn't a must, although would be nice - and I don't think we need to go down the Asian way of making them resemble the entire history of New Zealand by way of its roof. LOL.

I think your outline of our existing stadiums is good, however, keeping in mind we are a country of 4 million, I think the state of our stadiums are quite impressive. I am sure that other similar sized nations don't have the same kind of facilities as we do.

But neway, an overview of our existing main stadiums in the various cities.

Auckland

auckland_eden.jpg

Eden Park (capacity : approx 50,000)

albany_north_harbour.jpg

North Harbour Stadium  (approx: 25,000)

auckland_ericsson.jpg

Ericsson_A2.jpg

Ericsson Stadium (approx: 30,000)

Rotorua

stadium-250.jpg

Rotorua International Stadium (approx: 30,000)

Hamilton

hamilton_waikato.jpg77587.jpg

Waikato Stadium (approx: 28,000)

Wellington

wellington_westpac.jpg63239.jpg

Westpac Stadium (approx 35,000)

Christchurch

christchurch_jade.jpg

Jade_A.jpg (rendering,but looks like this now)

Jade Stadium (approx: 40,000)

Image2.gif

QE2 Stadium (approx: 20,000)

Dunedin

otago_carisbrook.jpg

Carisbrook (approx: 38,000)

All approx capacities come off websites, although keep in mind when talking about most NZ stadiums the capacities may take into account different things ...

- NZ stadiums often have odd shaped fields, so temporary stadiums can be slotted in quite easily when required

- NZ Stadiums often have terrace seating or grass embankments

btw, does anyone have any plans of what the new Ericsson Stadium stand will look like, that will certainly improve the look of that ground abit.

And yeah, QE2 stadium is a wasted opportunity imo. If you look at it back in 74 for the Commonwealth Games, it looks great. They really just need to put back seating around the side that currently has an iron fence there , and it refurbish the existing side - it could be a fantastic modest stadium.

Uhmmm...I know the pictures are pretty...but why are the Kiwis telling us the darkest, dirtiest secrets about their stadia?  What can we really do about them?  I know I'm not about to write a paper on the stadia of New Zealand.

Because:

1 - we need a NEW stadium if we were to host the RWC or other major sport Comp's

2 – and we are sick of Canadians b!tching about Americans, Americans b!tching about Canadians and Greek Canadians bi!thing other Canadians. We want to bi!tch about something too.

Let me bi!tch, WHY WONT YOU LET US B!ITCH.  

:cry:

does anyone have any plans of what the new Ericsson Stadium stand will look like, that will certainly improve the look of that ground abit.

heres a pic I found

ericsson1.jpg

Hope that helps!

All these stadiums, quite alot for the country fo this size, though no national stadium. Having a pre built national venue before a bid for the Olympics woud greatly help New Zelands chances.

Also, the new Ericsson Stadium looks alot like Hindmarsh Stadium in Adelaide.

Ta for that.

It will be good for Ericsson , but, I still would have preferred the option of totally doing up Carlaw Park in the cbd and make that the new home of the Warriors .

Still, the original redevelopment plans by a group , who wanted to make Ericsson a retractable roof stadium were fantastic, based on the design of a Dutch stadium, can't remember the name of it at the moment.

Ta for that.

It will be good for Ericsson , but, I still would have preferred the option of totally doing up Carlaw Park in the cbd and make that the new home of the Warriors .

Still, the original redevelopment plans by a group , who wanted to make Ericsson a retractable roof stadium were fantastic, based on the design of a Dutch stadium, can't remember the name of it at the moment.

The only stadium in the Netherlands with a retractable roof i can think of is the Amsterdam Arena

aerial.jpg

Yup, that's the one.

I remember I had a few old news clips that I taped from a few years ago about it.

There was a business group that wanted to redevelop Ericsson to look much the same as that , but it didn't find support within local government.

But would this new Amsterdam like stadium be for rugby or a national stadium. I personally like to see the rest of Jade Stadium redoveloped into a National Stadium, with a capacity of around 60,000. POssibly with expansion capabilities.

:) I can remember talk about the Auckland Superdome in the late eighties and early nineties using the complete bowl of the then Mt Smart Stadium (Erricson).

Jade does look good and when the Victoria Park Trust gets around to completing it, will be New Zealands best.

Waikato Stadium is to build tempory rows of seating right over Tristram St so as to add another 5000 people in during the Lions Rugby tour 2005.  And yes the objections are comming in thick and fast.  

You see, this is what happens when you don't plan well for the future,  bigger stadia allows the chance to get more in.

• 1 month later...

:) Waikato Stadium has been given approval for building temporary seating (during the rugby season) over Tristram Street for the next six years.  Just in time for the Lions tour.

This will allow first tier All Black matches, (Bledesloe, Tri-nations, England) to be played in the city.

Of course all this messing around wouldn't be needed if the HCC had've rezoned the north end of Tristram Street so as to allow a permanent stand.  Also if they completed the orginal plan, the old stand would look something like the Main with even more seating.

:angry:

• 4 months later...
New Zealand is to bid for the 2011 RWC and although Eden Park is the largest Stadium in NZ (50k pax), talk is of having a new stadium built in time for the event seating around 70 000 pax.  Sites discussed are, North Habour Stadium, the waterfront including the tankfarm, Eden Park and even Whenuapai!!

• 4 weeks later...

:) It has been confirmed that New Zealand will bid for the 2011 RWC with the full backing of the NZ Government.

Central to the bid plan is the rebuilding of Eden Park up to a 65k pax stadium, which the NZ Government will provide money for.

No doubt Christchurch and Dunedin will be pushing for funds as well.  As to be expected, the anti-Auckland sentiment will grow, and worsen if the 2011 bid succeeds.

I imagine Dunedin would ask for funds to make develpments on the Brook, as only Dunedin can.

Im thinking a few million to make the ground look old, shi1tty and historic would be the plan for the blazer brigade down in Otago. Nice and shoddy, build more terraces and anything else that makes me cringe.

Best thing would be to make sure no Dunedinites are in charge of any redevelopment of that stadium, they cannot be trusted to deliver a stadium fit for 2005, let alone the 90s, 80s or anything dating prior to the establishment of Carisbrook. grrrrrrr

:) It has been confirmed that New Zealand will bid for the 2011 RWC with the full backing of the NZ Government.

Central to the bid plan is the rebuilding of Eden Park up to a 65k pax stadium, which the NZ Government will provide money for.

No doubt Christchurch and Dunedin will be pushing for funds as well.  As to be expected, the anti-Auckland sentiment will grow, and worsen if the 2011 bid succeeds.

Any artists' impressions of the redeveloped Eden Park?

And does anyone think that this development will go ahead if NZ doesn't get 2011?

Any artists' impressions of the redeveloped Eden Park?

And does anyone think that this development will go ahead if NZ doesn't get 2011?

Only one in the NZ Herald showing a cut and paste of the "EDEN PARK" stand with it's second level terrace superimposed over it's self. Giving an extra 7000 seats.

The official development plans are still secret as the EdenPark residents association have to be informed first.

Of course if NZ dosen't win 2011, all plans are on hold.

• 1 month later...

Although Eden Park is central to the 2011 WC bid,  commentators agree that North Harbour Stadium is the best option for finishing off into a 60kpax Rugby/Football stadium as it is NOT located in a residentual area.  Close to the motorway and Whenuapai Airport are also an advantage.

The Waitakere indoor stadium has the main athletics track in the Auckand region now and a future Olympic bid stadium site.

Although Eden Park is central to the 2011 WC bid,  commentators agree that North Harbour Stadium is the best option for finishing off into a 60kpax Rugby/Football stadium as it is NOT located in a residentual area.  Close to the motorway and Whenuapai Airport are also an advantage.

The Waitakere indoor stadium has the main athletics track in the Auckand region now and a future Olympic bid stadium site.

You would need to totally need rebuild North Harbour Stadium for it to even get close to reaching a capacity of 60,000. The current grandstand holds only 12,000 so if you mirrored it on the opposing side of the pitch the capacity would only be 34,000. So would need to add on wings (like Stadium Australia) of at lest 18,000 on both the north and south ends of the stadium which (to give you an idea) would have to be larger than the ones on Telstra Stadium for the Olympic Games. Also the catchments area for North Harbour Stadium is a lot smaller than Eden Park and the fact that there is no descent public transport to the North Shore would put the Harbour bridge in gridlock for all those Aucklanders travelling by car.

Personally I just want someone to blow up Eden Park (here that Osama) so we have no choice but build a new stadium. We are so cheep, Wales was willing to spend $240m on a upgrade of Cardiff Arms Park for the Rugby World Cup so why not us?

Personally I just want someone to blow up Eden Park (here that Osama) so we have no choice but build a new stadium. We are so cheep, Wales was willing to spend $240m on a upgrade of Cardiff Arms Park for the Rugby World Cup so why not us?

Yeah 100% agree with you, and place the entire Labour Government inside it when it goes up.  Tight arses Trevor Mallard and Michael Cullen deserve to loose their seats at this years election.

I just got an e-mail from Summer Lawrence at JADE STADIUM LIMITED saying that the old eastern stand of jade Stadium will be redeveloped like the new western stand in the next 2-4 years s taking the capacity well over 40,000.

This is what Jade Stadium looks like now:

jadestadium0gf.jpg

Great shot of Jade that picture is...and about time they wholloped the eastern stand too.  Got a feeling that the Port Hills (DB Draught...bleugh crap beer) Stand will be raised up to link East and West in total encirclement before to long?

Then finally they can get ride of that totally yuppy-scum Hadlee stand to have a full oval, OMG a 50 000 seat ground!!!

• 4 months later...

:D New Zealand, Host Nation of the Rugby World Cup 2011.

Now the real fun begins-

Victoria Park Trust have announced they will have Jade finished off by the end of 2008.

Eden Park will most likely go for the A-Stand rebuild that will mirror the ASB Number 2 stand thus 60,000 seats which is the minimum requirement for the "main" stadium of the host nation.

Albany, A covered stand on the terrace end and temporary seating on the goal ends.

Erricson, pretty much finished, good atmospheric ground, but unlikely to be used.

Waikato, Hamilton, may lose historical old mainstand and finish mirroring the "new" main stand.  The seasonal fold away Tristram Street overhanging stand will then not be needed.

Carisbrooke, Dunedin, massive redevelopment into a rugby only ground has always been on the cards, this will push the ORFU and the DCC into doing it soon.

Wellington, no worries!

As most games will be played at night, so as to catch the European morning -

The provincial centres with lights - Whangarei, New Plymouth, Rotorua, Tauranga(new), Napier, Palmerston North, Invercargill, will need minor work done for the smaller pool games.  Nelson will need major work done.

I seriously doubt all these venues will be used as the IRB likes the idea of centralisation.

But then RWC 2011 IS being staged in New Zealand, not just Auckland.

Archived