2030 Commonwealth Games

Apple

• 3 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

New Zealand: Broke!

Minimal to no chance of a 2030 bid...and 2034 not front and centre yet although it is a wish on the list.

A loose spending govt has all but put the nation into a stagnant recession. 

It looks like politics in NZ is heading towards Centre ground with potential to move over to the Right.

There are other more urgent priorities for Govt spending...which will be minimal for the rest of the decade...

Cyclone Gabrielle did some real serious damage to transport infrastructure to a very productive region of the North Island. This will require a complete rebuild of the highway network, repairs to the railway, and figuring out how to restructure the communication network...

Auckland's damage is really bad, made worse by a totally ineffectual mayor who came to power on an "angry white male" protest vote. The city's infrastructure also took a hit and embarrassingly so with Auckland Airport flooding for the first time ever. Just can't see this city hosting something like the CWGs for now. 

Hope is on the distant horizon though...

Auckland Airport is getting a rebuild and a second runway by 2034 with a rail connection.

A new habour crossing is to begin construction in late 2026. This will come on the back of the opening of Auckland's underground rail loop in 2025.

I didn't realise things were that bad :( Sounds like Auckland 2038 could be something to aim at. I guess that'll mean that if Alberta stays in for 2030 then it's the UK again in 34 unless someone else comes good (who could it be though?). Or yet another event in Australia (I like you but you're hoarding :lol:). I like the Commonwealth Games and the chance it gives our other cities to show off but I want to see more than just us and Australia lol. I'd make an exception for Cardiff though, because Wales would be something different - that'd be great to see. 

24 minutes ago, SportLightning said:

Still waiting on the Logo for the 2026 Commonwealth Games to be unveiled.

I think you have posted this in the wrong thread. I don't know how long it would take to make a logo but I am sure the work is underway with a design firm already being appointed.

We can only really compare to Birmingham for timeframes as the other editions had a longer lead time ahead of staging the Games.

I can't confirm the date that the 2006 logo was launched however it was after the 2002 Games. I have found it was trademarked on 14th March, 2003 so I suspect like Birmingham, it was launched with 3 years to go until 2006.

Birmingham was announced as host of 2022 1,680 days (21st December, 2017) before the Games with the logo being unveiled at the 1,100 days mark (which was meant to be 3 years to go before COVID moved the event slightly)

Victoria was announced as host of 2026 at the 1,435 day mark (12th April, 2022). There is currently 1,065 days to go and less than three years so hopefully we will have a logo unveiled by the end of the year which I am sure we will.

21 hours ago, Alexjc said:

New Zealand: Broke!

Minimal to no chance of a 2030 bid...and 2034 not front and centre yet although it is a wish on the list.

A loose spending govt has all but put the nation into a stagnant recession. 

It looks like politics in NZ is heading towards Centre ground with potential to move over to the Right.

There are other more urgent priorities for Govt spending...which will be minimal for the rest of the decade...

Cyclone Gabrielle did some real serious damage to transport infrastructure to a very productive region of the North Island. This will require a complete rebuild of the highway network, repairs to the railway, and figuring out how to restructure the communication network...

Auckland's damage is really bad, made worse by a totally ineffectual mayor who came to power on an "angry white male" protest vote. The city's infrastructure also took a hit and embarrassingly so with Auckland Airport flooding for the first time ever. Just can't see this city hosting something like the CWGs for now. 

Hope is on the distant horizon though...

Auckland Airport is getting a rebuild and a second runway by 2034 with a rail connection.

A new habour crossing is to begin construction in late 2026. This will come on the back of the opening of Auckland's underground rail loop in 2025.

The trouble with New Zealand is that things that would take 10 year sin other countries takes about 50 years, plus they end up a third of what they should be. Expect the rail link to be delayed and also the new airport and bridge to be about 20 years over time.

The NZ i moved to 14 years ago is now gone, it is an absolute mess here. That is why early next year i will be moving back to the UK permanently.

• Like 1

10 hours ago, Scotguy II said:

The trouble with New Zealand is that things that would take 10 year sin other countries takes about 50 years, plus they end up a third of what they should be. Expect the rail link to be delayed and also the new airport and bridge to be about 20 years over time.

The NZ i moved to 14 years ago is now gone, it is an absolute mess here. That is why early next year i will be moving back to the UK permanently.

Sorry to see you go.

Yes I've lived longer and I can say this is what the economic situation was like in 1990. (The then Auckland Commonwealth Games barely made it and this showed in the closing ceremony, a ramshackle put together collection of performances.)

They should never had printed so much extra money while the borders remained closed. Food inflation is now up at 1989 levels. I agreed with the 2020 lockdown but not the extended 2021 version and definitely not the Auckland lockdown. We now have near zero unemployment, longer stressful workhours, very high wages resulting in a cascade effect in the cost of living, and annoying crime because this left wing govt is too soft on it...and here's the kicker - they have gone out of their way to divide us - so they can provide jobs for the elite 10% of maoris to milk the system to give to the 10% at the bottom who just want a handout...(I'm part maori, not a lot to give me free stuff and I work with those maori NEW ZEALANDERS who struggle on everyday wages and get nothing back in return).

I'm hoping the polls are wrong and there will be a landslide swing to the Right...and then you might want to consider unpacking your suitcases...

Focussing to infrastructure, building and repair is what the next decade needs to be about in policy. This will stimulate growth and give us a better plan for the future - and that includes a Commonwealth Games, a joint hosting of FIFA WC with Australia, and the long range plan to host a nationwide 2040 Summer Olympics (something the IOC pulled the NZOC aside to talk about when Brisbane was awarded 2032.)

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...
  • 5 months later...

Christchurch is looking into a possible rescue bid for 2030...

https://www.google.com/url?sa=t&rct=j&q=&esrc=s&source=newssearch&cd=&cad=rja&uact=8&ved=2ahUKEwjjoKLXsfSDAxUza_UHHUPXB4QQxfQBKAB6BAgHEAE&url=https%3A%2F%2Fwww.rnz.co.nz%2Fnews%2Fnational%2F507397%2Fchristchurch-council-looks-into-viability-of-hosting-commonwealth-games&usg=AOvVaw0oAJNNIyldPdaiCRNyTXuL&opi=89978449

Facilities needed to host events would be provided within the city as well as other South Island centres.

The report back into a hosting would be completed in August this year...

34 minutes ago, Alexjc said:

Christchurch is looking into a possible rescue bid for 2030...

https://www.google.com/url?sa=t&rct=j&q=&esrc=s&source=newssearch&cd=&cad=rja&uact=8&ved=2ahUKEwjjoKLXsfSDAxUza_UHHUPXB4QQxfQBKAB6BAgHEAE&url=https%3A%2F%2Fwww.rnz.co.nz%2Fnews%2Fnational%2F507397%2Fchristchurch-council-looks-into-viability-of-hosting-commonwealth-games&usg=AOvVaw0oAJNNIyldPdaiCRNyTXuL&opi=89978449

Facilities needed to host events would be provided within the city as well as other South Island centres.

The report back into a hosting would be completed in August this year...

Without federal government support, this means nothing sadly. If this is genuine, could we see CWG skipping 2026 and going for 2030? There is precedence (YOG gap from 2018 to 2026)