2030 Commonwealth Games

Apple

At this point is there even any other country besides the UK and Australia that can realistically host the CWGs anymore with government and public support. It doesn't appear so..I would've thought Victoria's 2026 plan would provide a model to encourage more bidders but that apparently isn't working and frankly I think the CWF thought Hamilton was practically signed sealed and delivered for 2030. Maybe it's time to get London on the phone?

Hamilton shot their own goose when inexplicably deciding to farm several events out to Jamaica and Gibraltar (!) I don't mind the idea of co-hosting on principle but I'd expect broadly similar geographical area, like say a Caribbean bid. Now, if only there was a major world city with experience hosting multi sports events that could take over from Hamilton alone, maybe ideally one that's close to Hamilton so they could still host some stuff and be part of the centennial - I wonder if there is such a place...if only...

...FFS Toronto. 

inb4 London gets 2030 a la Brisbane 2030 because Charles wants a home games to celebrate the centenary of the empire games...

Jokes aside, it seems that bid might have gone dust for the better from what i´m seeing here with the EuroBasket-level co-hosting that would only have worked if these places were all still britsh colonies, or at the very least territories of the crown! (if we can have surfing at Tahiti for Paris 2024...) Would had fit, at least.

4 hours ago, yoshi said:

Hamilton shot their own goose when inexplicably deciding to farm several events out to Jamaica and Gibraltar (!) I don't mind the idea of co-hosting on principle but I'd expect broadly similar geographical area, like say a Caribbean bid. Now, if only there was a major world city with experience hosting multi sports events that could take over from Hamilton alone, maybe ideally one that's close to Hamilton so they could still host some stuff and be part of the centennial - I wonder if there is such a place...if only...

...FFS Toronto. 

Hamilton pulled the plug because the province did not provide funding. I am not convinced the province would have supported a Toronto bid over Hamilton (it would be picking favourites).

Part of me is convinced the province is not supporting the bid out of spite (Hamilton's mayor is the current premier's former rival). They shot down the 2026 bid claiming the World Cup, and they would support a '2027' bid. Now they won't support it 3 years later? Things don't add up here.

Lol the premier is trying to keep Hamilton down?! That'd be very very childish if true, especially if he's not prepared to try to take it on properly with a Toronto or even Ottawa bid & is just making excuses instead. I hope somewhere in Canada bids because if not, the CGF would probably see England as the only other appropriate place for the centennial, & if we must have yet more alternation I'd prefer it to be Wales' turn rather than England again. 

Any chance of an Auckland 2030 bid has been ended by the current Cyclone disaster in the country. All government spending is being reclassified and diverted to the disaster relief. This may not affect the Auckland Olympic bid but too early to tell.

• 2 weeks later...

Well I hope they can get over the line, I'd like to see anyone end the alternation at this point but there's something extra special about Canada 2030. I just hope everyone realises how freaking huge Alberta is, this'll make Victoria look compact. 

EDMONTON

• Commonwealth Stadium
  • Rogers Place
  • Clare Drake ArenaE
  • Edmonton Expo Centre
  • Edmonton Convention Centre
  • Saville Community Sports Centre
  • Argyll Velodrome
  • Northlands Coliseum
  • Universiade Pavilion

CALGARY

• ATCO Field