Canada 2018- World Cup Bid

Rob.

• Replies 64
  • Created
  • Last Reply
If Canada wants a WC in the next 30 years this country needs to invest to top tier expandable stadiums.

Vancouver, Toronto and Montreal should all have stadiums that are in the range of 60,000 that can be expandable to 80 to 90,000.

Calgary, Edmonton, Winnipeg, Hamilton and Quebec City should each have a 40,000 seater that can expand to 50,000 to 60,000

Saskatoon and Halifax should have stadiums of about 30,000 that can go up to 40,000 to 45,000.

Also with these stadiums there needs to be creative thinking of how to use them more and non-traditional events with them.

Well, it is kind of funny that McMahon Stadium in Calgary hasn't changed its face much, since it was built in the 1960s, I believe. Talk about needing an upgrade badly to what is needed in a city that is growing too fast.

There needs to be a cluster area of host cities to cut down on the travel costs too.

Than you would get complaints that too many are in one area.

If would just be better schedule the tournament so that a team moves to another close by city so say Germany and Nigeria play a game in Hamilton, they don't than go to Halifax and Vancouver for their next game

USA 94 had 9 host cities with 9 stadiums. I think a Canadian bid can be pulled off with 8 cities with 9 stadiums with Toronto having two venues. There would be two clusters to cut down on the traveling costs due to the large mass of land. Therefore, certain group matches will be taking place in those regions. And to address an earlier comment about closed roofed stadiums. I believe the final match hosted in Japan for the 2002 Cup was in a closed roof stadium in Yokohama.

East Coast Cluster:

Toronto - New Stadium (80,000); Rogers Centre (51,000)

Hamilton - New Stadium (50,000)

Ottawa - New Stadium (50,000)

Montreal - Olympic Stadium (65,255)

West Coast Cluster:

Vancouver - BC Place (60,000)

Calgary - New Stadium (50,000)

Edmonton - Commonwealth Stadium (60,081)

Winnipeg - New Stadium (40,000)

Than you would get complaints that too many are in one area.

If would just be better schedule the tournament so that a team moves to another close by city so say Germany and Nigeria play a game in Hamilton, they don't than go to Halifax and Vancouver for their next game

That's what I was saying. I just made a post regarding this. It doesn't make sense let's say to have a venue in Montreal, then the next match by this certain team will be in Vancouver. Take a look at a map of the hosting venues in 1994. The majority of them were clustered up in North-East USA.

FIFA-USA1994-map.PNG

You also got to remember that US94 was 24 teams, France 98 onwards was 32 and 12 stadiums

Having Halifax, Quebec City, Montreal and Ottawa, than Toronto, Hamilton, London and Winnipeg and than Saskatoon, Calgary, Edmonton and Vancouver.

NHL and NBA teams fly all around the NA for games with maybe 24 hours between games, I am sure that England can make it from a game in Montreal back to their headquaters in Kingston and onto Toronto in a five to seven day span.

It would also be interesting to think of home bases for each of the teams. Out of the major teams that would probably be there because some teams like Germany can go where there is a high population of that ethnicity, Kitchener in that case.

You also got to remember that US94 was 24 teams, France 98 onwards was 32 and 12 stadiums

Having Halifax, Quebec City, Montreal and Ottawa, than Toronto, Hamilton, London and Winnipeg and than Saskatoon, Calgary, Edmonton and Vancouver.

NHL and NBA teams fly all around the NA for games with maybe 24 hours between games, I am sure that England can make it from a game in Montreal back to their headquaters in Kingston and onto Toronto in a five to seven day span.

It would also be interesting to think of home bases for each of the teams. Out of the major teams that would probably be there because some teams like Germany can go where there is a high population of that ethnicity, Kitchener in that case.

Kitchener? I would assume your talking about accomodations in that sense right?

Kitchener? I would assume your talking about accomodations in that sense right?

Technically Kitchener, could host games if a stadium was in place, there is 500,000 people in or within 15 minutes of the city and another 400,000 within a 45 minute drive.

I was talking about teams are were there base their opporations.

Technically Kitchener, could host games if a stadium was in place, there is 500,000 people in or within 15 minutes of the city and another 400,000 within a 45 minute drive.

I was talking about teams are were there base their opporations.

Could Kitchener sustain a stadium of this size after?

Could Kitchener sustain a stadium of this size after?

If it was say 40,000 and went down to 25,000 to 20,000 with a track, yeah, built in the right location it could be used by Wilfred Laurier University and University of Waterloo. Plus concerts, other school events.

If it was say 40,000 and went down to 25,000 to 20,000 with a track, yeah, built in the right location it could be used by Wilfred Laurier University and University of Waterloo. Plus concerts, other school events.

I doubt that they would choose Kitchener. It's just too close to Toronto and we would already have Hamilton which would be close by. What about the prospects of London or Windsor?

I doubt that they would choose Kitchener. It's just too close to Toronto and we would already have Hamilton which would be close by. What about the prospects of London or Windsor?

London I would think, they (along with Quebec City and Halifax) have been pushing for a CFL team.

How big is the proposed stadium in Winipeg?

Lets see what potential cities and stadiums would/could be used for the World Cup eh? :P

British Columbia:

Vancouver: BC Place Stadium - 59,841 seats

Alberta:

Edmonton: Commonwealth Stadium - 60,217 seats (possible upgrade to 70,000? Would most likely be used for the Finals)

Calgary: McMahon Stadium - 37,317 seats (upgraded to 50,000 with temporary seating)

Saskatchewan:

Regina: Mosaic Stadium - 27,332 seats (upgraded to 40,000 - 45,000 seats, or a totally new stadium altogether)

Manitoba:

Winnipeg: New Stadium - 40,000 seats

Ontario:

Toronto : The Skydome - 53,000 seats

Ottawa: Frank Clair Stadium - 28,826 seats (upgraded to 40,000 - 45,000 seats)

Québec:

Montreal: Olympic Stadium - 65,255 seats

Quebec City: PEPS Stadium - 18,500 seats (upgraded to 40,000 if possible, or a totally new stadium altogether)

Nova Scotia:

Halifax: 2014 Commonwealth Games Stadium - 45,000 or so seats (If Halifax were to get the games)

Ok, that's 10 stadiums so far, just need at least 2 stadiums elsewhere, maybe other provinces and even the territories (not likely) could have some host stadiums? :blink::)

Just my thoughts, feel free to critique or figure out where the 2 other stadiums should be...

Well, unknown to most people in Calgary and probably most of Canada, there is a soccer complex in the city that could accommodate a potential 8 international teams in this sport for training all at once. Within the confines of this complex, there are FOUR outdoor fields, TWO mini fields and SEVEN indoor fields. And, yet, the city has been passed over all the chances so far to host international matches in this sport. I bet, because of the city's image about not having a "real and durable" soccer STADIUM, it is why the city keeps getting the other treatment, unlike Edmonton.

Lets see what potential cities and stadiums would/could be used for the World Cup eh? :P

British Columbia:

Vancouver: BC Place Stadium - 59,841 seats

Alberta:

Edmonton: Commonwealth Stadium - 60,217 seats (possible upgrade to 70,000? Would most likely be used for the Finals)

Calgary: McMahon Stadium - 37,317 seats (upgraded to 50,000 with temporary seating)

Saskatchewan:

Regina: Mosaic Stadium - 27,332 seats (upgraded to 40,000 - 45,000 seats, or a totally new stadium altogether)

Manitoba:

Winnipeg: New Stadium - 40,000 seats

Ontario:

Toronto : The Skydome - 53,000 seats

Ottawa: Frank Clair Stadium - 28,826 seats (upgraded to 40,000 - 45,000 seats)

Québec:

Montreal: Olympic Stadium - 65,255 seats

Quebec City: PEPS Stadium - 18,500 seats (upgraded to 40,000 if possible, or a totally new stadium altogether)

Nova Scotia:

Halifax: 2014 Commonwealth Games Stadium - 45,000 or so seats (If Halifax were to get the games)

Ok, that's 10 stadiums so far, just need at least 2 stadiums elsewhere, maybe other provinces and even the territories (not likely) could have some host stadiums? :blink::)

Just my thoughts, feel free to critique or figure out where the 2 other stadiums should be...

These stadiums are acceptable but a bit small, losts of temporary expansion, and the final traditionally has been held in the capital or one of the largest cities in the country, is that Edmonton or wouldn't Toronto, Vancouver or Montreal fit that mode better?

Well, unknown to most people in Calgary and probably most of Canada, there is a soccer complex in the city that could accommodate a potential 8 international teams in this sport for training all at once. Within the confines of this complex, there are FOUR outdoor fields, TWO mini fields and SEVEN indoor fields. And, yet, the city has been passed over all the chances so far to host international matches in this sport. I bet, because of the city's image about not having a "real and durable" soccer STADIUM, it is why the city keeps getting the other treatment, unlike Edmonton.

And this complex seats how many?

Edmonton has 3 Indoor Soccer Centres which have 4 indoor fields each... and another Soccer Centre with 4 more fields is planned to be built soon so there is one in the North(proposed), East, South and West. Not to mention an Outdoor Soccer complex which has like 12 outdoor fields and a few other city club teams has its own complex with 2-4 fields such as Victoria (club in Edmonton).

I'm sure alot of cities in this country can say something similar... but how many can seat enough for a World Cup or other International Soccer events? Not many...

And this complex seats how many?

Edmonton has 3 Indoor Soccer Centres which have 4 indoor fields each... and another Soccer Centre with 4 more fields is planned to be built soon so there is one in the North(proposed), East, South and West. Not to mention an Outdoor Soccer complex which has like 12 outdoor fields and a few other city club teams has its own complex with 2-4 fields such as Victoria (club in Edmonton).

I'm sure alot of cities in this country can say something similar... but how many can seat enough for a World Cup or other International Soccer events? Not many...

Remember, it is the image of Calgary NOT having a durable stadium in my previous post is the main reason why the city is being passed by, when it comes to this matter. And, to think, the Calgary mayor is suggesting more ice arenas. Like, give me a break. Other major Canadian cities don't have the number of arenas Calgary has by a "long shot" and there was a suggestion to have MORE of them? At least, Edmonton got something right here. I do not know what is really going on here in Calgary, never mind the decisions on other matters to make the city more efficient lately. I don't get what is going on here sometimes.

If Canada were to bid for this, they would have to build atleast a minimum of 4 new stadiums. The current ones people are listing would be an embarassment even with the upgrades. The only existing stadiums that I see that could be upgraded for FIFA's standards and for it's physical structural architecture are Commonwealth Stadium in Edmonton, Olympic Stadium in Montreal and BC Place in Vancouver. I wonder if Toronto would propose two venues. It would make a lot of sense. They definately would get a brand new stadium out of this and then they could potentially use the brand new BMO Field which is opening this summer for the new Toronto FC soccer franchise apart of the MLS. The stadium's seating capacity would definately be upgraded, I believe it was mentioned that it could be expanded to 40,000. They could also use Rogers Centre which hold a higher seating capacity and would cost less to upgrade over expanding BMO Field. Outside of these host city venues, all new stadiums need to be built.

These stadiums are acceptable but a bit small, losts of temporary expansion, and the final traditionally has been held in the capital or one of the largest cities in the country, is that Edmonton or wouldn't Toronto, Vancouver or Montreal fit that mode better?

Well the problem is that the current stadiums of Toronto, (not including BMO Field - Roger's Stadium (Skydome)) Vancouver (BC Place Stadium) and Montreal (Olympic Stadium) Are designed in such a way that there is limitations on potential seating upgrades for such venues.

Sure Montreal could host the Finals, and possibly Vancouver if they added an extra couple of hundred seats, but I still see Edmonton hosting so long as the organizers and the city permit the upgrades for Commonwealth Stadium.

As for most of the current stadiums in Canada being an embarrassment, I would agree, they do look pretty awful, and even with potential upgrades may still look awful... who knows? ;)

Well the problem is that the current stadiums of Toronto, (not including BMO Field - Roger's Stadium (Skydome)) Vancouver (BC Place Stadium) and Montreal (Olympic Stadium) Are designed in such a way that there is limitations on potential seating upgrades for such venues.

Sure Montreal could host the Finals, and possibly Vancouver if they added an extra couple of hundred seats, but I still see Edmonton hosting so long as the organizers and the city permit the upgrades for Commonwealth Stadium.

As for most of the current stadiums in Canada being an embarrassment, I would agree, they do look pretty awful, and even with potential upgrades may still look awful... who knows? ;)

The finals wouldn't be held in Edmonton, it would go to one of the country's biggest metropolisis. Either Toronto or Montreal.

One more thing to add. If Edmonton was passed up as the host city for the Final match at the U-20 Men's World Cup, it definately will be passed up again as the host of the final match of the regular Men's World Cup.

Archived