Canada 2018- World Cup Bid

The finals wouldn't be held in Edmonton, it would go to one of the country's biggest metropolisis. Either Toronto or Montreal.

Well I could see Montreal hosting the finals, so long as it is converted to an "Olympic" like configuration without the track, possibly providing 70,000 seats. As for Toronto, it's less likely, as I don't see the Skydome being able to provide further upgrades, BMO Field could be upgraded to 40,000 or so, but that's not enough. The only way Toronto could host the finals, is if a new stadium of say 80,000 or so were built, to act as the finals venue and could possibly be used as a potential future Olympic stadium.

• Replies 64
  • Created
  • Last Reply

In the World Cup bid I'm sure they would propose a brand new stadium in Toronto that could seat 90,000 or so just so Toronto could host the final. Everything seems to go through Toronto, it's ridiculous but true. There's no way BMO Field should be hosting the final of the U-20s. I may be biased for Edmonton. But if Edmonton could sell over 50,000 tickets to a U19 WOMEN'S Final... they could sell-out the Commonwealth Stadium for U-20 Men. But... the finals go to the much smaller BMO Field because it's Toronto.

In the World Cup bid I'm sure they would propose a brand new stadium in Toronto that could seat 90,000 or so just so Toronto could host the final. Everything seems to go through Toronto, it's ridiculous but true. There's no way BMO Field should be hosting the final of the U-20s. I may be biased for Edmonton. But if Edmonton could sell over 50,000 tickets to a U19 WOMEN'S Final... they could sell-out the Commonwealth Stadium for U-20 Men. But... the finals go to the much smaller BMO Field because it's Toronto.

Yes, yes, you have the whole largest city in Canada deal, but it would also seem logical to build an 80,000 or so seater stadium with a track in Toronto, to be prepared for a potential Olympics in the future.

By the time Canada could host this tournament, Toronto would have already hosted an Olympics. This ain't gonna happen until the late 2030's to 2040's

2010 - South Africa

2014 - Brazil

2018 - England

2022 - China

2026 - USA

2030 - Spain

2034 - Argentina

2038 - Egypt/Morocco/Algeria/Nigeria

2042 - Russia

2046 - Australia

2050 - Canada

There ya go, following the European favoured rotation Europe - Africa - South America - Europe - Asia - North America

By the time Canada could host this tournament, Toronto would have already hosted an Olympics. This ain't gonna happen until the late 2030's to 2040's

2010 - South Africa

2014 - Brazil

2018 - England

2022 - China

2026 - USA

2030 - Spain

2034 - Argentina

2038 - Egypt/Morocco/Algeria/Nigeria

2042 - Russia

2046 - Australia

2050 - Canada

There ya go, following the European favoured rotation Europe - Africa - South America - Europe - Asia - North America

Rotation ends in 2014..

Rotation ends in 2014..

Were not sure about that yet. Read all the news articles pertaining to any bid for 2018. If FIFA put in place a rotational system to get the Cup in Africa, people argue that they shouldn't toss it out after 2014 and they should finish off the rotation after it is fully complete and has gone to CONCACAF and Asia.

The 2018 FIFA World Cup will be the 21st edition of the FIFA World Cup. Bidding to host the 2018 World Cup will close in 2010.

Despite expectations to the contrary, FIFA will not necessarily continue with their policy of rotating the right to host the World Cup amongst the different confederations. This policy would have seen the 2018 World Cup being held in either North America (CONCACAF) or Oceania (OFC). However, in an interview with The Sun-Herald the head of FIFA, Sepp Blatter, said:

"The World Cup is a very serious matter. There will be good contenders for 2018. The rotation system only goes until 2014. The rotation was a political decision to ensure the World Cup went to Africa, otherwise Africa would never have it."[1]

However, on February 28, 2007 while in London for meetings with English officials, Blatter said that the rotation system may continue past the 2014 World Cup:

"If the FIFA executive committee decides later this year that the rotation policy is maintained, in strict procedure it should be in North America in 2018 and there are three countries who could host it there -- the United States, Mexico and Canada," [2]

Countries that have announced their interest include Australia,[3] England,[4] Mexico,[5] and the United States.[6] The Netherlands and Belgium have expressed interest in a joint bid.[7]

Yup you were right, it is not yet certain... Well check out all th people biiding for 2018 in http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/2018_FIFA_World_Cup

Yup you were right, it is not yet certain... Well check out all th people biiding for 2018 in http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/2018_FIFA_World_Cup

Yes, even Blatter tried to dismiss England 2018.

http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport1/hi/football/i...als/6403761.stm

Blatter knocks England 2018 hopes

Blatter wants to see Fifa's rotation policy continued

Fifa president Sepp Blatter has raised serious doubts over England's hopes of staging the World Cup in 2018.

If Fifa's executive committee decides in December to maintain its rotation policy, the tournament will be held in either North America or Asia.

Blatter, in London to meet Chancellor Gordon Brown, said: "The executive must take a decision whether the rotation should include all federations.

"If the Americas are considered as one, then rotation would go to Asia."

The USA has indicated its intention to bid to stage the finals for a second time, while China has thrown its hat into the ring along with Australia.

606 DEBATE: Your views on Blatter's comments

However, speaking at function in London on Wednesday night, Blatter insisted England would stand a good chance of hosting the tournament - if it came to Europe.

The Fifa president said: "I know there are other countries who would like to have the World Cup, Europe does not stop with the European Union, you have to also consider Russia.

"But yes if it comes back to Europe, England would have a very good chance because they have the best technical infrastructure, organisation of security, and safe and confident stadiums.

"It's an example to the world."

Fifa's December executive committee meeting could decide to throw the competition out to all bidders.

Blatter said: "It may be that the majority of the Fifa executive committee where you have eight European representatives out of 24, can find the 13 votes needed."

The Fifa president said his personal inclination was for the rotation to continue to North America, with the USA, Mexico, and Canada all capable of hosting the tournament.

The rotation I use was not the official FIFA one, but one favoured by the Europeans on the board.

12 years between European hostings and 24 years between all other confederation hostings, so for NA it would mean that there would be 72 years between any US hostings.

To the Brits I agree with you know about a European favoured rotation just as long as the other 4 spots in the 6 tournament cycle go one each to the other confederations that can host.

Did you make that map?

I doubt Ottawa uses Frank Clair Stadium. They would be one of the cities building a new stadium.

And I have to point out that Hamilton is listed on the map but is not listed in the legend with the stadium. But we all know they would also build a new stadium.

Did you make that map?

I doubt Ottawa uses Frank Clair Stadium. They would be one of the cities building a new stadium.

And I have to point out that Hamilton is listed on the map but is not listed in the legend with the stadium. But we all know they would also build a new stadium.

Ah yes, I made the map. Didn't realize that Hamilton isn't in the legend. I'll update later. :)

Archived