Canadian Figure Skating Nationals

After the 2nd day of Seniors' competition:

• Rochette is 2nd (again) after short to Phaneuf
  • Langlois and Hay lead Dubé and Davison with Duhamel and Buntin .5 behind in 3rd
  • Chan miles ahead of everyone in the men's; Chipeur, Cheek and Sawyer in a bunch thereafter
  • Virtue and Moir 20 points ahead of 2nd place Weaver and Pojé; Crone and Poirier .02 behind in 3rd

Rochette did this last year, easily won the free and earned a silver at Worlds. But clearly she wins--or loses--based on her short program. A couple of years ago Dubé and Davison tanked in the short at nationals; this year they were simply beaten. In the men's the theme was inflation. There is no way Chan deserved anything above 80 for that skate. The only skater who's doing well amongst the men whose score didn't seem inflated was Sawyer.

Virtue and Moir, even with inflated scores, are looking more and more like Olympic champions. The French pair dropping out of Europeans "to keep their routines a secret" only makes me more confident.

I agree with you on the inflation. All national championships are inflated...Plushenko scored over 100 points at the recent Russian Nationals and he did not really do much in that program to earn a score that big! Chan even said himself he does not look at the points.

Anyone catch the US Nats? Pairs splatfest apparently.

The good news whit Chan is that he kept his short together. He did have a touchdown on a jump, but so far he looks like a medal contender in Vancouver.

Anyway, watching Jeremy Ten skate last nigh was so hard, the poor guy completely imploded...

I agree; poor Jeremy. And lil Kevin--so much for the BC boys.

"kept his short together" heh heh :)

The good news whit Chan is that he kept his short together. He did have a touchdown on a jump, but so far he looks like a medal contender in Vancouver.

Anyway, watching Jeremy Ten skate last nigh was so hard, the poor guy completely imploded...

I never thought Mira would advance any further, but I liked her spunk. Sad to see her decline.

Rochette just roared through her free skate; Dubé and Davison nearly did earlier today. Canada gunnin' for bear at the Pacific Coliseum! :) :) :)

Mira Leung's problem has been rumored to be her meddling mother who always interfered in her training and sucking any joy she had out of the sport.

1948 - Barbara Ann Scott

Wow...What a long drought.

And I believe the last woman to win an Olympic medal was Elizabeth Manley at the Calgary Olympics with her Silver Medal.

Canada is definitely due for a Gold Medal winning performance here.

Unless Kim Yu Na screws up the gold is hers.

I just read that Rochette had a score of 208.23, only a couple of points behind the world record set by Kim Yu-Na earlier in the year.

Like I said, the Gold Medal is between these two ladies.

JoAnnie was very good, but her score was inflated. National championships aren't ISU sanctioned and thus ineligible for ISU records.

I just read that Rochette had a score of 208.23, only a couple of points behind the world record set by Kim Yu-Na earlier in the year.

Like I said, the Gold Medal is between these two ladies.