Olympic Ring Colours

Something that I've been wondering for awhile...

Is there a particular reason why the olympic venues/structures (i.e. richmond oval, YVR rings etc.) do not use the blue-yellow-black-green-red in their olympic rings structure on the actual building? Is this a branding issue or are they waiting until closer to the games to change it up? Or is it just a financial decsion, assuming that all gray would be cheaper than multi-colors.

68ef459544ae25d6397781d898c3692e.jpg

i guess i wasn't thinking about the esthetics of it. i can see how less is more sometimes. i was thinking more about how the i was a little disappointed when i didn't see the colours...it just makes it that much more official and "olympic-ee" no? :)

however, i just read in a web-article quoting a staff member from the Oval suggesting that they will be switching up the sinage to the 5 colours closer to the games.

Agree, It's not unusal - think of the rings on the Sydney Harbour Bridge - looked awesome all white. 5 colours can play havoc with a nice "look of the games" - think Salt Lake / Vancouver / Torino.

from an aesthetics point of view, single colors of the rings looks better when applied in structures and most of all during the look of the games. a solid color projects better in a see colors and will have a better chance standing out than the multi colors of the rings.

single colour will have a better chance of standing out than multi-colour? you think? i've always thought the opposite...more colore more attention.

from an aesthetics point of view, single colors of the rings looks better when applied in structures and most of all during the look of the games. a solid color projects better in a see colors and will have a better chance standing out than the multi colors of the rings.

I prefer them in a single color.

Foucsing on the shape rather than color, they project their message stronger I think. And practically speaking, they're much easier to use.

And to be honest, I think the rings in the five colors can start to get too busy, if not gaudy and fru-fru.

They are more often in the original colours when the rings are in an 'organic' state. For example, if the rings are part of additional signage or brands, including different emblems, they will probably be secondary and monochromatic.

However, on Olympic flags, pins of IOC officials, and primary displays of the rings in Olympic cities tend to be the original colours.

In some applications, multi-coloured rings do look nice but in most cases white/solid colour rings look the best and clean....the thing about mutli-coloured rings is the use of white light for the black ring.