Togos' Football National Team Was Attacked

South Africa is billing itself as Africa's host, this is a very serious incident that happened to an African football team on African soil due to poor security. It will most certainly have an impact on South Africa, primarily on security preparations and planning. To pretend it won't is foolish.

What is foolish is when people who can't read maps play up events like this to try and discredit Africa. Sure, SA played the "Africa" card to get FIFA 2010, while Germany played the Europe card to get FIFA 2006, Beijing played the Asia card to get SOG2008 and Rio played the South America card to get SOG2016.

So, let's take a look:

2006: Did the London subway bombings make people go "Oh, it can't be safe to go to Germany for 2006"? Afterall, Germany is a lot closer to the UK than Cabinda is South Africa

2008: Did Burma going apes*t on the monks make folks go "Oh, it can't be safe to go to China for 2008"?

Here's a tip. Most Africans have dark skins, and maybe you Europeans think all Africans look the same, but beyond that have very little in common. Saying a bunch of separatists in the Cabinda province is going to affect the World Cup in South Africa, where no one even speaks the same language as the Cabindans, is tantamount to saying that a Basque separist shoot out is going to ruin the London Games. Heck, folks didn't even worry about the active Basque terrorist groups for Barcelona Olympics.

It's time for the rest of the world to get over their prejudice against Africa, and their desire to see Africa fail so they can claim "I told you so". Get on a plane, and go spend some time in South Africa and a few other African countries.

• Replies 71
  • Created
  • Last Reply

South Africa didn't played the Africa card for 2010 race, since only African continent countries were participating on bid.

At that time FIFA was ruling a official continental rotation.

The same for Brazil 2014, when FIFA allowed only South American countries to bid, and only Brazil finished the process (Colombia withdrawn).

It's time for the rest of the world to get over their prejudice against Africa, and their desire to see Africa fail so they can claim "I told you so". Get on a plane, and go spend some time in South Africa and a few other African countries.

May I add South America on this?

Because the prejudice here on GB (made by few members) against Brazil during the 2016 race were disgusting.

South Africa is billing itself as Africa's host, this is a very serious incident that happened to an African football team on African soil due to poor security. It will most certainly have an impact on South Africa, primarily on security preparations and planning. To pretend it won't is foolish.

Sorry for being very undiplomatic again, but this is bullshit.

So because South Africa is billing itself as Africa's host it has to take responsibility for all the things happening on that huge continent, including the bad things, just like that attack or all the wars and conflicts still going on there? Are you for real?

That would have meant that Barcelona 1992 which also had a clear European touch (remember the Ode to Joy segment and the crowd resembling the twelve stars of the European flag with flashlights?) should have taken responsibility for the atrocious events in former Yugoslavia at that time.

And why does it affect the security preparations for the World Cup? The Togolese team drove in a bus through a civil war zone, for heaven's sake! They were not even in or near a Africa Cup of Nations host city. So where is a civil war zone in South Africa, let alone the World Cup host cities? And I'm not talking about the crime in South Africa, that's a completely different matter. Especially because it's a matter the World Cup organisers and police have been knowing for a looong time and thus they will be well-prepared to fight that problem.

And why do we have to wet our pants now -- after a security-wise flawless Confed Cup and final World Cup draw last year?

Really, spending even only a single thought about any sort of connection between the events in Cabinda and the World Cup 3,000 kilometres away is absurd beyond words.

One thing is that, for us, that we understand that SA is totally diferent than Angola... the comparison is unbelievable...

but hey! that doesn't mean than other people won't raise doubts because they don't understand anything... I've heard people asking Chileans if we were a province of Mexico, so yeah... I have no doubt there will be people thinking about connections even them are totally absurd.

Terrorism threatens our world in general - the terrorists "drool" over attention...

Major sport events 'guarantee' in a way this attention - who was aware before that terrible terror attack of the separatists in Cabinda?

Yes, I knew that Cabinda is an exclave of Angola - I knew further that there are huge oil fields in Cabinda - I was aware that Angola suffered under a very long civil war and I knew that Angola is rich of huge raw material deposits, but that was all very far away (somewhere in Africa).

And I didn't know that there is a separist movement in Cabinda - these separists used the attention of the Africa Cup for their purposes and they knew that the FIFA World Cup in South Africa will even increase this attention!!!

On one hand it is unfair to compare Angola with South Africa, but exactly this knowledge by the separists "connect" in a way the two sport events (altough South Africa isn't Angola) - the reaction of the organisation team of the FIFA World Cup shows that the organisers are aware of this effect, too...

The civil war parties in Yugoslavia didn't abuse/care about the Barcelona or Albertville Olympics - therewith nobody connected these Olympics with the civil war in Yugoslavia (the civil war would have breaked out, too if the 1992 Olympics had been in Chicago or Tokyo), but the separists in Angola abused the Africa Cup to draw attention to their task and they knew that the FIFA World Cup will even increase the attention. That is a huge difference between this incident and the Yugoslav civil war.

I don't question the FIFA World Cup in South Africa due this attack, that would have a counter effect on the situation in Angola and it would be unfair for South Africa, but I do wonder about African Football Association and the organisation team of the Africas Cup in Angola - they should have been more aware about the dangerous situation in Cabinda....

By the way the African Football Association - how much influence has the African Football Association on the World Cup?

One thing is that, for us, that we understand that SA is totally diferent than Angola... the comparison is unbelievable...

The example gave by Organisers of World Cup SA 2010 was brillant.

Nobody and no media was concerned about World Cup 2010 in Germany when London was attacked by terrorists in 2005. And Germany much near from England than Angola-South Africa...

The example gave by Organisers of World Cup SA 2010 was brillant.

Nobody and no media was concerned about World Cup 2010 in Germany when London was attacked by terrorists in 2005. And Germany much near from England than Angola-South Africa...

mhh - I think this is rather a lopsided comparision - the terrorists in Angola made the attacks during/just before the Africa's Cup due the Africas Cup, since they wanted to increase the attention - they attacked a convoy of a team bus, which linked the attack directly to the sport event..

The terrorists didn't make the attack back in 2005 due the World Cup a year later in Germany - the terrorists selected the public transportation system as target - therewith I think this comparision was/is even counterproductive

mhh - I think this is rather a lopsided comparision - the terrorists in Angola made the attacks during/just before the Africa's Cup due the Africas Cup, since they wanted to increase the attention - they attacked a convoy of a team bus, which linked the attack directly to the sport event..

The terrorists didn't make the attack back in 2005 due the World Cup a year later in Germany - the terrorists selected the public transportation system as target - therewith I think this comparision was/is even counterproductive

Just a question, Martin: Where did you read that the Angolan terrorists aimed at the World Cup with their attack? I only read that they aimed at the African Cup of Nations and had warned the organisers before that they would commit terrorist attacks if the organisers sticked to their plans to stage Cup matches in Cabinda.

So I can only repeat myself: There's absolutely no connection to the World Cup. It's only a bad coincidence that the African Cup of Nations took place in Angola in the same year as the World Cup in South Africa.

Just a question, Martin: Where did you read that the Angolan terrorists aimed at the World Cup with their attack? I only read that they aimed at the African Cup of Nations and had warned the organisers before that they would commit terrorist attacks if the organisers sticked to their plans to stage Cup matches in Cabinda.

So I can only repeat myself: There's absolutely no connection to the World Cup. It's only a bad coincidence that the African Cup of Nations took place in Angola in the same year as the World Cup in South Africa.

I didn't said that the terrorists "aimed" at the World Cup with their attack - I just said that terrorists require general publicity for their terror attacks...

The more the better - they are/were aware that the general interest for the World Cup in South Africa later this year increases the attention of the world for their purposes in Cabinda after their terror attack on the second largest football event in Africa...

I didn't said that the terrorists "aimed" at the World Cup with their attack - I just said that terrorists require general publicity for their terror attacks...

The more the better - they are/were aware that the general interest for the World Cup in South Africa later this year increases the attention of the world for their purposes in Cabinda after their terror attack on the second largest football event in Africa...

Yes, but I also don't know if they really were aware that there could be increased media attention just because of the World Cup. In my view, this is rather speculative.

Yes, but I also don't know if they really were aware that there could be increased media attention just because of the World Cup. In my view, this is rather speculative.

I suppose nobody of our members belongs to the attackers - therefore everything about the reasons/aims of this terror attack is speculative here...

In my point of view you can be sure that the "modern terrorists" know exactly how the world wide media and the people around the world will react if they attack the Africa Cup in the same year as the first World Cup in Africa = the attention toward their purposes in Cabinda increases, due the fact of the first World Cup in Africa in the same year.

If the FIFA World Cup 2010 had taken place in Mexico their terror attack would have caused a few days of stir, but now their terror attack will be in the news until the World Cup in South Africa - that is unfair since South Africa isn't Angola, but you can't change it.

Of course we will have a fantastic world cup in South Africa, but you can be sure that after the world cup there will be articles that "thank god" no terror attack like the one in Angola happened...

I didn't said that the terrorists "aimed" at the World Cup with their attack

That's right - the only connection with the World Cup is being made by people like YOU.

You point out that South Africa came out after the CAF attack to say that the World Cup is safe. The reason they were at all forced to do that is because of fearmongering in the European Media. No sooner had this been reported, than the usual suspects in the European Media - and folks like you too - started openly questioning the impact on the World Cup. These same suspects in the media are the ones that every few months drudge up a column quoting "unnamed insiders" that South Africa 2010 is behind schedule and backups are being considered.

The very act of questioning the impact, creates the impact in situations like these.

It's interesting you say the European media because in UK this connection really hasn't been made. I'm surprised (in a good way) at that as I would have thought a few of the tabloids might try to create a connection between this and the world cup. But they haven't as far as I know.

That's right - the only connection with the World Cup is being made by people like YOU.

I do not make a connection between the terror attack in Cabinda with the World Cup - I just said that the terrorists in Angola were aware of the global publicity of the Africas Cup and that this global publicity is increased by the fact that there will be the first African World Cup this year.

http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport2/hi/football/africa/8450088.stm

World Cup boss Danny Jordaan says Hull manager Phil Brown is "ill-informed" to suggest there are doubts about South Africa's ability to stage the event.

What CAF said wasn't something he just invented. It was something that happened. And he just said that the terrorists might have known that this connection and this impact could be happen. So, Canis... I think it was quite hard to label CAF as one of the misinformed people that don't understand the huge differences between Angola and SA.

It's interesting you say the European media because in UK this connection really hasn't been made. I'm surprised (in a good way) at that as I would have thought a few of the tabloids might try to create a connection between this and the world cup. But they haven't as far as I know.

I'm glad that connection I feared at first, didn't happened. It was just some stupid comments at the beginning but then it wasn't a big deal.

I'm quite surprised, anyway, with the reaction of the CAF (the confederation, not our member). I heard they disqualified Togo and they were thinking about a punishment to the team after they returned to the country. Isn't it a harsh and unpolite response to a team just attacked by a terrorist group that is mourning now two of their members?

Togo face sanctions for pulling out of Africa Cup of Nations

The organiser of the competition, the Confederation of African Football, is understood to be examining possible sanctions for the Togolese, who decided to return home after three people were killed when the squad were attacked by gunmen in Angola.

An unnamed member of CAF told a French news agency that there would be a formal gathering at the end of the month of the body's executive committee which would discuss what happened and that the meeting "provides for sanctions". If such measures were taken it would lead to an outcry in world football.

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/sport/football/...of-Nations.html

If that happens FIFA should throw all African teams out of the world cup, replacing them with teams from other continents who missed out, until CAF reverses their decision. But it won't happen, I'm confident of that. There's no way sanctions will be implemented and that fact that the source of this article is unnamed suggests there's not a lot in it, thankfully.

• 2 weeks later...

If that happens FIFA should throw all African teams out of the world cup, replacing them with teams from other continents who missed out, until CAF reverses their decision. But it won't happen, I'm confident of that. There's no way sanctions will be implemented and that fact that the source of this article is unnamed suggests there's not a lot in it, thankfully.

I can't imagine some World Cup in South Africa without african teams...

It's like make a entire continent be angry with FIFA FOREVER...

If any punishment should be done, do it for 2014.

So, CAF did it:

Togo’s withdrawal

01-30-2010

The Executive Committee of the Confederation of African Football met on 30 January 2010 and examined the withdrawal of Togo national team from the Orange Africa Cup of Nations 2010.

The Executive Committee and its president renewed their sincere condolences to the families of victims involved in this tragic terrorist attack which happened January 8, 2010. The attack was condemned by CAF and also a total support was given to the Togolese team.

At that time, CAF said they have understood perfectly the decision of players not to participate in the competition.

Meanwhile, following a decision taken by players to participate in the competition, the Togolese government decided to call back their national team.

The decision taken by the political authorities is infringing CAF and CAN regulations. Therefore, a decision has been taken to suspend the Togo national team for the next two editions of Africa Cup of Nations, with a fine of $50,000.00 handed to the Togolese national football association, in conformity with article 78 of Africa Cup of Nations Angola 2010.

http://www.cafonline.com/competition/african-cup-of-nations-angola_2010/news/4587-togos-withdrawal.html

Archived