Togos' Football National Team Was Attacked

• Replies 71
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I wonder what is going to happen with the organization of the 2010 African Cup of Nations after this disguisting event (also i read the guerilla attackers were going to hurt someone else and not the togolese team). I feel bad for the driver who died :c

I heard two more people died... I hope this doesn't ruin the mood and excitement for South Africa. :(

Yes, 3 : Bus driver, press officer & assistant coach.

http://www.insideworldfootball.biz/togo-pu...fter-gun-attack

PR of the South African Organizing Committee communicates to avoid the amalgam betwenn both events..

http://www.insideworldfootball.biz/angolan...official-claims

Personnaly i am sure that the security levels would not be the same and that there woul be no high risk in South Africa in June, but that's not good for Africa (just a few month after that Egyptian supporters attacked a Algerian Bus)

PR of the South African Organizing Committee communicates to avoid the amalgam betwenn both events..

Sure. Totally different events and no connections between them. The thing is, the world and the entire Africa are building up to the great event. Things like this may affect the celebration atmosphere. Like the tragedy in NY before Salt Lake 2002, or the Air Crash during Rio 2007...

Terrible news.

I agree that this has nothing to do with 2010 WC but certainly, the athmosphere towards Africa will change.

What will happen with Cabinda? It will host two more games. I don't think the other teams will accept to be in a province with a secessionist armed group that recently attacked another team.

For what i've been reading, the togolese team was WARNED not to travel on bus because it was dangerous. Also, the team said that they are grateful that the angolese army came in time to save them, if not, more people would have died. Cabinda its a very dangerous place because of the guerilla anyway, what was the organizing comittee thinking when they decided to play games there? D:

This has nothing to do with SA 2010, but i agree, the views over the world cup will turn more pessimistic and the World Cup organizers should prepare a strong security measures in order to avoid tragedies like this one to happen again.

Its kinda unlucky that this happens on a country which is recovering after a devastating civil war and wanted to use the CAN to promote their recent progress.

Not the decision I'd have made, but it wasn't my decision to make. Very brave of them; massive amount of respect.

"If we stay here it's for them [those who were killed], but also not to give any satisfaction to the rebels. Our government does not necessarily agree with us but we are all determined to play this competition."

That has absolutely no connection to South Africa and the World Cup, and anyone who raises fears for the World Cup based on an event which took place 3,000 kilometres away is (sorry for being very undiplomatic here) a plain idiot.

That includes the German national players René Adler, Simon Rolfes and Bastian Schweinsteiger who now raised fears about their relatives' security at the World Cup in a German newspaper interview. I only have a link in German so far: Spiegel Online - German national players fear for security at World Cup

René Adler, probably the main German goalkeeper at the World Cup, for example said: "That all is so sick. I ask myself how they want to handle the security at the World Cup. We as team will certainly be protected -- but how about, for example, our relatives?"

Well, René -- since when did your relatives plan to go by bus to South Africa and cross Cabinda? :blink: Sometimes football players should rather concentrate on their game and not on political, security or even geographical issues.

Very odd indeed. Nothing from any English players about this and nobody here has tried to make a connection or raised fears about South Africa 2010, other than to say it's not very good for Africa's image in a world cup year.

By the way, new news coming out of Angola

Togo are leaving....

Togo captain Emmanuel Adebayor has told French radio his team will return home from the Africa Cup of Nations following advice from their government.

Although the team initially wanted to leave the tournament after a gun attack on the team killed three people, they then said they would stay on in Angola.

But Togo Prime Minister Gilbert Houngbo insisted the team leave the country for security reasons.

Tournament organisers have said the event would still go ahead as planned.

Adebayor had previously said the team thought that despite the attack on their convoy in the northern enclave of Cabinda, which killed an assistant coach, press officer and bus driver, and injured several other players, life should go on and they did not want to be seen as ruining the Nations Cup which begins on Sunday.

Team-mate Thomas Dossevi also said the players want to honour those killed and French paper L'Equipe quoted another player Alaixys Romao as saying the team would not "leave like cowards".

But it seems that Houngbo's advice has led to a change of heart.

http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport1/hi/football/africa/8450529.stm

Well, thats too bad, i was starting to admire the togolese team for their decision, but as always, some megalomaniatic african leaders get their noses even on sport events.

Anyway, the first match will be played in arround three hours. It will be on Luanda, but of course, the security meassures they will take now will unfortunately make some matches look like games on a concentration camp.

Well, thats too bad, i was starting to admire the togolese team for their decision, but as always, some megalomaniatic african leaders get their noses even on sport events.

This has gone beyond just a "sports event" and I'd be somewhat worried if this had happened to England, if our Prime Minister and government didn't get involved. The Togolese leader is not "sticking his nose in".

So, I'd hardly call him a megalomaniac. It's not a position he'd want to have been put in. It's hardly surprising that he and his security advisers want to get the players out and I think it'd be somewhat irresponsible for him to take any other line after what's happened:

"So far we did not even have a single call, even a call of sympathy, from Caf," Houngbo added.

"We do not even have information that will allow us to have an assessment from a security standpoint, taking into account what has happened.

"Anybody who is involved in security matters will tell you that it would be irresponsible for us just to pretend that nothing has happened, and to just let the 'music', the 'show', go on.

"That's why we believe it's important for us to look at it more from the security for our people, than just from the 'show' perspective."

I heard two more people died... I hope this doesn't ruin the mood and excitement for South Africa. :(

Geography lesson here:

1) Cabinda is more than 3000km away from South Africa

2) To get to South Africa from the Cabinda Province, you have to cross THREE countries: The DR Congo, Angola and Namibia. THEN you get to South Africa.

Don't make ridiculous statements. What you are righting is like saying "Oh, there was an attack on a bus of athletes in Panama - I hope it doesn't ruin the mood for Rio 2016".

Gee, get a map people!

Geography lesson here:

2) To get to South Africa from the Cabinda Province, you have to cross THREE countries: The DR Congo, Angola and Namibia. THEN you get to South Africa.

Don't make ridiculous statements. What you are righting is like saying "Oh, there was an attack on a bus of athletes in Panama - I hope it doesn't ruin the mood for Rio 2016".

Gee, get a map people!

South Africa is billing itself as Africa's host, this is a very serious incident that happened to an African football team on African soil due to poor security. It will most certainly have an impact on South Africa, primarily on security preparations and planning. To pretend it won't is foolish.

Geography lesson here:

Gee, get a map people!

It seems Victor Mata have the same concern you have and I have. We don't think this incident should be linked to South Africa World Cup.

This would be ridiculous. South Africa seems to be the most developed country in the Southern African continent and should not be compared to a non-continuous territory of Angola, that have separatists groups.

I have no big information on South Africa, but for me, it seems a pretty good nation to host World Cup (amazing culture and wonderful landscapes) and it seems for me they already have all requirements in place to do so.

Angola, unfortunatelly, not YET, since they are still fixing problems, but they are getting better and developed and it seems they will have a good place to live in a near future.

Força Angola!

Archived