European Games

I'm all for these Games.

I'd like them to be hosted starting in 2014 with a "ready to go" host, and in 2018 with an "almost-ready-to-go" host.

All IOC minimum venue capacities are reduced by 50%, e.g. Aquatic 6,000, Athletics, 30,000+ with the European Games sports matching the sports programme of the following Olympic Games i.e. in 2014 it would include Golf and Rugby 7's.

The Games hosts would be decided by a vote, to bring hype to the Games, or by an Exco decision but only for 2014.

The first Games should go to Madrid. Shame. Give them a chance.

European Games, Pan American Games, Asian Games, Commonwealth Games, All Africa Games, etc etc etc ad nauseam.

ALL of these multi-sport events should be ended. It's superfluous, overkill and ridiculous. The Olympics and the World Championships plus a few other events for each sport are enough. The world doesn't need *yet another* multi-sport event.

Oh yeah and cut the Youth Olympic Games too.

I am against European Games. If it includes all Olympic sports, the host would still have to build many venues. Or you take again the capitals or Olympic cities. Smaller cities wont host these Games.

Yeah, that's the concern I have. While I'd assume a Euros would have far fewer competitors, and not as big an accommodation requirement as an Olympics, if it's going to offer a full, or close-to-full, Olympic program of sports that's still a lot of sporting infrastructure to have to have. It may not be as "mini" an event as manyb think (the Asiads are already very close to Olympic size - I can't see what would be different about the Euros to make them more compact or have less of a profile).

I'm all for these Games.

I'd like them to be hosted starting in 2014 with a "ready to go" host, and in 2018 with an "almost-ready-to-go" host.

All IOC minimum venue capacities are reduced by 50%, e.g. Aquatic 6,000, Athletics, 30,000+ with the European Games sports matching the sports programme of the following Olympic Games i.e. in 2014 it would include Golf and Rugby 7's.

The Games hosts would be decided by a vote, to bring hype to the Games, or by an Exco decision but only for 2014.

The first Games should go to Madrid. Shame. Give them a chance.

Hmmm. That's a bit of an ambitious scehdule. I'd be hard put seeing anyone being able to organise them so quickly for a 2014-2015 time span. plus I'd guess most of the sports and events schedules for those years are already set in stone, or close to. If they pulled their finger out and got going now, I'd think a 2018-2019 time span is probably as early as they'd be likely to get going.

• 1 month later...

There's an interesting article here (sorry it's in Spanish, I haven't found it in English):

Luz verde para los Juegos Europeos

It says the European Olympic Committees have all agreed to create the European Games and that the first edition will be in 2015. The Games will be held every four years in pre-Olympic years. They haven't decided how many sports will be in the first ever Games' program, but they plan it to be between 15 and 20, basing it on the Olympic Games, even though some non-Olympic sports may be included too. The first host is to be decided yet, but Valencia (Spain) has already expressed its interest.

:lol: :lol: :lol:

There's an interesting article here (sorry it's in Spanish, I haven't found it in English):

Luz verde para los Juegos Europeos

It says the European Olympic Committees have all agreed to create the European Games and that the first edition will be in 2015. The Games will be held every four years in pre-Olympic years. They haven't decided how many sports will be in the first ever Games' program, but they plan it to be between 15 and 20, basing it on the Olympic Games, even though some non-Olympic sports may be included too. The first host is to be decided yet, but Valencia (Spain) has already expressed its interest.

:lol: :lol: :lol:

No they did not agree, but they will study it soon by asking all european noc their opinion !

http://insidethegames.biz/component/content/article/1-latest-news/11198-exclusive-future-of-european-games-rests-on-questionnaire

Oh, it seemed perfect... I can't believe then how a Spanish newspaper as "As", which is one of the best sports newspapers in Spain, can say "Luz verde para los Juegos Europeos" ("Green light for the European Games") and talk about them as if they were ready to start in five years' time <_<

So would these games apply to only member states of the European Union?

Non, state that has a NOC member of the European Olympic Committes association.

• 2 weeks later...

Yesss .. at last .. just something for istanbul .. and we would be happy after so much consecutive bids for the OG's :blink::D

I think the best years are the years when the WINTER OLYMPICS are held .. that would be the best solution !!

The best time always after the World Cup's .. the earliest Euro's will be suitable in 2018 .. 2015 is too early ..

If this idea ever materialises, they should rather choose the World Cup years than the pre-Olympic years for staging such Games. In uneven years, the most important Olympic sports (athletics and aquatics) always have their World Championships, and they can't expect the best European athletes skipping those WCH (especially as a preparation for the Olympic Games one year later) in favour of the European Games.

On the other hand, there are always the European Championships in athletics and aquatics in World Cup years.

So maybe it's better not to stage European Games at all (at least if the organisers are interested in the participation of more than only unknown amateur athletes)... :P

Archived