Sign in to follow this  
graymccarty

Vancouver "look Of The Games" Pics

GReat pictures thank you!

Any pictures of the UBC THunderbird Arena you can share?

Where abouts is Jack Poole Plaza - is that down near the IBC?

GReat pictures thank you!

Any pictures of the UBC THunderbird Arena you can share?

Where abouts is Jack Poole Plaza - is that down near the IBC?

No, not yet.

Jack Poole Plaza is at the new convention centre/IBC/MPC...where the outdoor cauldron is.

Thanks. Very nice to name it Jack Poole plaza - I take it this was decided after his death. A very nice gesture for someone who clearly did so much for Vancouver 2010. Is it a permenant name?

^ it's a permanent name.

Here's the sails of Canada Place lit up by projections of the Games Look:

4310654695_0079500af5.jpg

photo by Canada Place on flickr.com http://www.flickr.com/photos/35156139@N05/

4311392782_72fdabd8d3.jpg

4310654739_bc16c9d1c1.jpg

Canada Place/East Convention Centre/MPC on the left (white sails); West Convention Centre/IBC on the right (green roof)

4183365711_b3b217e7ec_o.jpg

Canada Place/East Convention Centre/MPC on the left (white sails); West Convention Centre/IBC on the right (green roof)

I'm a bit lost... is Jake Poole Plaza somewhere in the foreground of this photo?

I'm a bit lost... is Jake Poole Plaza somewhere in the foreground of this photo?

Jack Poole Plaza is the flat bricked ground you see immediately right of the green roof.

Jack Poole Plaza is the flat bricked ground you see immediately right of the green roof.

Ahhh... I see, thanks.

We might not know yet - but how close will the public be able to get to these areas? Will the whole place be roped off for the press? Would be a shame as it really is the focal point of Vancouver!

I was down at the IBC during lunch and was thinking the exact same thing, that what a shame it would be if that whole area where the cauldron is was closed off to the public. Those fences surrounding the area looks pretty permenant. If so, that is poor planning on VANOC.

We might not know yet - but how close will the public be able to get to these areas? Will the whole place be roped off for the press? Would be a shame as it really is the focal point of Vancouver!

I was down at the IBC during lunch and was thinking the exact same thing, that what a shame it would be if that whole area where the cauldron is was closed off to the public. Those fences surrounding the area looks pretty permenant. If so, that is poor planning on VANOC.

There's going to be a heavy duty chain link security fence at West Cordova & Burrard and West Cordova & Thurlow...the whole hotel/convention centre district will be closed off from the public. So, the cauldron at Jack Poole Plaza won't be viewable by the public within close proximity but it will be quite viewable from the water, the parks west of the convention centre, and the Stanley Park seawall.

This picture was taken last year, the cauldron should be quite visible from this vantage point:

4264245962_6cfb0670c2_b.jpg

I've heard the opposite from my colleagues - that the area will be open to pedestrian traffic, just closed to vehicle traffic. The public should be able to access the plaza during the Games.

I've heard the opposite from my colleagues - that the area will be open to pedestrian traffic, just closed to vehicle traffic. The public should be able to access the plaza during the Games.

Well then, if that's the case we're asking for major security issues at the media compound.

Hope there is some solution so that the security stays in place but the area is open to public viewing in some way. Would be shame if the only outside flame was not viewable up close. Also - hope I can get a good view of Canada Place Sails for some pictures - that building looks a bit shielded by tents at the moment!

Also - hope I can get a good view of Canada Place Sails for some pictures - that building looks a bit shielded by tents at the moment!

You just have to go to stanley park, walround Coal Harbour along Stanley Park Drive and stop near the 0'O clock gun and you will have a great view on the Canadal Place Sails including the Olympic Rings in the creek...

^ it's a permanent name.

Here's the sails of Canada Place lit up by projections of the Games Look:

4310654695_0079500af5.jpg

4311392782_72fdabd8d3.jpg

4310654739_bc16c9d1c1.jpg

Awseome - love this builing - reminds my of the Syndey Opera House - looks gret with the games' look projected on it!

i guess it would depend on how you interpret "venue security closure" and if that applies just to vehicles. for example, the map had the olympic village area as "venue security closure" and that area is 100% closed off to the public. however, areas like concord pacific place, canada hockey place are listed as "venue security closure" as well but will be opened to the public b/c a lot of the pavilions and free events will take place there. we'll find out in 14 days!

http://www.vancouver2010.com/dl/00/23/22/updated-venues-jan-12_82d-gf.pdf

28583_m15.jpg

Olympic makeover: It’s a wrap

The Globe and MailBy Mark Hume, The Globe and Mail Posted Friday, January 29, 2010

Vancouver - When Andy Stilin's team finally wraps things up at the Olympics, it will be impossible not to notice how the image of the host city has been transformed.

Mr. Stilin is in charge of installing a series of skyscraper-sized graphics that are being rolled out on office buildings and sports venues, as organizers rush to give Vancouver its final, thematic look for the Games.

"It's big," he said as he stood on the shore of False Creek recently, watching a crew install an 8,000-square-foot wrap on the face of the athletes village. "But it's not the biggest thing we're doing."

Across the city, another work crew was putting the final touches on a 44,000-square-foot graphic of a freestyle skier, who appears to be vaulting into the air over the city and the North Shore Mountains, which hang in the background.

That image covers most of one side of the 37-storey, 145-metre-tall Royal Bank Tower. It looks like the giant skier is going to soar over the corner of Burrard and West Georgia to land on the roof of Christ Church Cathedral.

Another massive image covers 45,000 square feet of the Richmond speed-skating oval; there is a 35,000-square-foot graphic going up on the snowboarding grandstand at Cypress, and an 18,000-square-foot image is already installed on a huge Air Canada hangar at Vancouver International Airport. In addition, the stands at three sports venues in Whistler are getting wrapped.

Mr. Stilin, whose team is also wrapping Olympic logos on three ships for BC Ferries, 4,600 VANOC fleet vehicles and 500 buses, hopes the giant displays will drive home to people the magnitude of the Games.

The graphics, printed on a specially produced vinyl, feature art developed by the design team at VANOC, which was led by Leo Obstbaum until he died suddenly last August.

"They are really dramatic images and they look incredible in this big format," said Mr. Stilin, the 2010 business development manager for 3M Canada, an Olympic sponsor. "It's too bad he couldn't have been here to see this. I think he'd have been impressed."

The project was planned early in the Games process, but VANOC asked 3M to hold off on the installations until the final run-up to the event.

"There was a really strong desire by VANOC that we not activate these too early," Mr. Stilin said.

"They wanted a Christmas Day feel to when these graphics go up. They didn't want people getting tired of looking at this imagery. They wanted to do it last-minute. So you are only seeing them come to life now."

A few wraps were done early, but 3M left most of the installations until the last four weeks before the Games. That gave crews a narrow window, and the heavy rains and wind that brought work to a halt earlier this month threatened to put the project behind schedule.

"There were a few stressful moments," Mr. Stilin said. "One of the problems is that we are using pressure-sensitive material, and we all know from using masking tape that when you are dealing with pressure-sensitive adhesives, it doesn't want to stick when it's wet.

So it's been a real challenge to get these things up in the environment we have."

But the work crews, who pull panels off big rollers as they scale down the buildings, have worked fast, keeping the installations on schedule. It took a crew three days to do the athletes village, but the larger Cypress snowboard venue is estimated to take two weeks and will be finished just in time for the Games.

"We've spent the last three weeks running aircraft cabling all through the [Cypress] structure.... We hang one [panel] at a time and the crews are rappelling down the grandstand and rip-tying it all together like little monkeys," Mr. Stilin said.

Advances in printing technologies in the late 1990s gave advertisers a new, bigger medium - entire buildings. By 2000, the technique had evolved to the point that Nike was able to put images on three sides of a skyscraper at the Sydney Games.

The concept was expanded at Salt Lake City in 2002, when more than a dozen buildings were wrapped with advertising-free images of Olympic athletes.

Robert Finley, director of Salt Lake's "look-of-Games" group, has said the totemic images, which towered over the city, "were meant to become a grand monument to the athletes and sport in general."

The approach gave the Games a dramatic look and organizers adopted the concept for Vancouver.

"Since Salt Lake City we've tweaked our technology," Mr. Stilin said. "At that time, we could only have our products go on something smooth and flat. One of the new technologies to come out since then allows us to adhere to textured surfaces."

On the RBC building, for example, the graphic runs seamlessly over the windows and the outer concrete walls between floors.

"That's a combination of two products," Mr. Stilin said. "On the glass there is perforated vinyl, so that people inside can see out, but on the concrete we are actually melting the vinyl with a 1,000-degree torch, melting it on so it basically takes on the structure of the poured concrete."

Inside a wrapped office, looking out, it appears windows are covered with a light, monotone screen, such as mosquito mesh. You can't see the snowboarder or skier on the other side, the image that people are stopping to stare at from the street.

"On the inside it's got a black layer, so your eyes want to see through the tiny holes," Mr. Stilin said, explaining how the material can be opaque on one side and translucent on the other.

"But on the outside your eyes are confused. You see the graphic and you don't see all the tiny holes."

While office workers appreciate the way light continues to pour through windows in wrapped buildings, that was a problem at the Richmond Oval. Television camera crews didn't want to have to deal with fluctuating light levels caused by the large exterior windows.

They needed constant light to track the speed skaters flashing around the oval.

"Essentially, they asked us to black out the windows ... so that they can set the light levels once and not have to worry about the movement of the cameras," Mr. Stilin said. To do that, 3M printed solid black ink on the vinyl, then used a grey adhesive and printed the graphic on that.

The layered approach hadn't been tried before, but it worked.

"So what you see from the inside is completely black, and then on the outside is the graphic. It's a unique construction," Mr. Stilin said.

And the oval, he said, may be the most impressive of all the displays. "The Richmond Oval, I think, is our iconic one, both because of the technology we put in there and because of the building - it is the jewel of the venues ... so to have our graphics on there is one of those, like, wow, moments."

So I guess that means that BC place isn't getting anything :(

It looks like it just got some decoration above the entrances:

4307594069_32aee5fa05_b.jpg

BC Place looks fine. If I remember correctly the Birds Nest in Beijing was only decked out externally around the entrances and that was more than a ceremonial venue.

BC Place looks fine. If I remember correctly the Birds Nest in Beijing was only decked out externally around the entrances and that was more than a ceremonial venue.

Actually, the Bird's Nest had these really nice tapestries to go along with the standard decorations and signage. But that was only inside the iconic lattice work of the stadium. They didn't put anything on the exterior so as to not distract from the stadium's arhcitecture. BC Place's architecture on the other hand begs to be covered up by Vancouver's Look. But oh well.

It's a shame about BC place, I love building wraps - but lets remember two things - particularly bearing the TV coverage in mind

1) BC Place's events take place at night - lit properly the white roof will look superb against Vancouver's skyscraper background.

2) Most of the coverage will be inside the stadium - I'd rather they spend an extra few million inside than wrapping the whole of the outside with pretty look of the games wraps.

It's a shame about BC place, I love building wraps - but lets remember two things - particularly bearing the TV coverage in mind

1) BC Place's events take place at night - lit properly the white roof will look superb against Vancouver's skyscraper background.

2) Most of the coverage will be inside the stadium - I'd rather they spend an extra few million inside than wrapping the whole of the outside with pretty look of the games wraps.

True.

One must keep in mind that how things look on television is a foundation of the Look of the Games program.

the birds nest is only one of the most impressive free standing structure, ok slight exaggeration...but it doesn't need anything else to impress. bc place on the other hand...i don't think they'd have enough shrink wrap to beautify it :) like someone said, i'd rather more $ be spent on the inside. i assume that the white roof will be multicolored similar to the sails at canada place.

Lots of updates:

Last night they were testing the light show at English Bay. I believe the light show starts early next week. There will be 20 spotlights; 10 on each side of the opposite shores of the Bay. There's a website where you can go online and create your own design. The lights change pattern every few secs, and no pattern is the same as you get to design it.

In the pic below, they have yet to install the other 10 lights. This is just a test.

4316949696_de028491c5_b.jpg

4316179489_7d66ca4f70_b.jpg

Photos by lockedin at ssp

Yaletown pedestrian corridor

IMG_1098.JPG

Live Site Yaletown - daily concert site (noon to midnight) for 10,000 people

IMG_1103.JPGIMG_1104.JPG[/img]

Sign in to follow this