Vancouver "look Of The Games" Pics

Torino had an amazing motif of the piazza representing the human heart, but it wasn't very clear on television. And Beijing's lucky clouds, while clearly Chinese, was very limited to that one pattern and the colors were horrible.

Vancouver's is busy, but they stuck to a color palette that allows them to get away with it. They struck that great balance here. It says Vancouver and BC quite clearly and strongly. A 10/10 and setting the standard for future Looks.

As for the logo - like it now. The shape is warm and inviting. The colors are childish, so it looks its best in monochrome.

nykfan845 - that's part of the reason for having a Look. It gives the field of play and competition energy. There's a big difference between an undecorated venue and a decorated venue.

/\ /\ Oh yeah. Copeland...that phony from Atlanta. :rolleyes: Took partial credit for the 1996 Centennial logo which was totally designed by Landor Associates of San Francisco, but just to make it appear that Atlanta was a 'creative' place, ACOG asked that Copeland's firm (being an Atlanta shop) share credit with Landor. So his opinions IMHO, do NOT count.

I like the look but I do find myself distracted at times looking for the various things like the airplane and the guy with the umbrella. Reminds me of those pages in the old Highlights childrens magazine where you searched for the hidden pictures within the big picture

I like the look but I do find myself distracted at times looking for the various things like the airplane and the guy with the umbrella. Reminds me of those pages in the old Highlights childrens magazine where you searched for the hidden pictures within the big picture

ABSOLUTELY. Too much detail; and to me, it's starting to look like an ego trip of that VANOC chief artist who died. Lucky him, he's not around to take the fallout of a distracting palette.

the look is iconic - in few few years, you just need to see 1 second and you will know it´s Vancouver.

I love it, it is strong and it give a great identity to the games, and thats what a look need to do.

all the previous looks was just to cover some ugly fenches or so.

But Vancouver is brilliant

all the previous looks was just to cover some ugly fenches or so.

But Vancouver is brilliant

I see more "Vancouver look" on chain link fences than anything else. I do sort of like the green color now whizzing behind the speed skaters, and the dark aqua VANCOUVER 2010 on the sliding course is a great color, but sometimes when the camera is on the face of an athlete as they prepare mentaly to enter a course, it's distracting to see a little sea-plane, or light post, or other cute bit crying for attention in the background.

Edited by stirthesoul

Like any Olympics, it's far less distracting than having sponsor advertising on the hoardings or sumperimposed on the play fields and tracks.

I like Vancouver's - one of the best. I like how it's stuck to a simple limited cool colour palette. Probably my all-time fave for both Summer and Winter games.

I thought it was too busy initially as well, but now that the games have begun I've been watching a lot of events. A simpler design would have gotten boring by now, but the detail in the designs keep it interesting. As well, you instantly recognize the brand from the colour palette and broad formations, even from a distance. If you do decide to pay more attention to the details you notice things like the tree/windmill thing, very smart.

I like how the each venue incorporates both the branding and the figure for the specific sport.

I love how the start gate for snowboarding had gentle corners which resemble the gentle corners of the logo.

I like the little Illinaqs atop the flag poles at the Whistler Medal Plaza

and I love the branded tissue boxes as well!

• Like 1

I like Vancouver's look, especially in the inside venue banners but I still think that from a professional point of view Torino and Salt Lake delivered the best brands in the Olympics.

Vancouver is monocolore, just blue and green and ripetitive. Salt Lake was more about contrasts and fit very well with any kind of brands and banners.

Torino was always different and used a very variegate palette of colors and looked beautifull especially in tha giant banners outside the venues. Plus there was the the negative color motiv that made it really contemporary and sophisticated.

I've always thought Torino was so good and rich which would have been worked on a summer look too.

I think it works fabulously on the mountain venues - it really taps into the nature, surroundings and colours of the area. I do find it a bit busy and a little distracting when watching things like figure skating and speed skating though and would have liked to have seen a few warmer colours in the indoor venues. But that's only a small criticism; overall it's great. I'll be satisfied if London's is as good as this.

Edited by RobH