Vancouver "look Of The Games" Pics

this is what i got going through image shack

THE FOLLOWING ERROR(S) WERE FOUND

You are not allowed to use that image extension on this board. A valid format is: http://www.domain.com/picture.gif, an invalid format is: http://www.domain.com/picture.one.gif

try www.photobucket.com

img00381201001121307.jpg

um, so it looks like a cauldron is being built at the vancouver convention centre. i went for a walk down there during my break about an hour ago. i couldn't really see much, so i poked my head in one of the openings at the fence and got the attention of a security guard. i asked him what was being built here and he happy and nonchalantly said in broken english, "not a building, it's the torch for the olympics". i said, "you mean the olympic cauldron"...he looked confused and said, "no you know, this is where they will light the flame. there will be a big flame here during the olympics!" i was quite shocked how easily i got it out of him. i asked how he knew and he said he's been posted here for a month now and seen everything as he put it. a little in disbelief, i walked around to the north side of the fence as far as i could and poked my head in again, saw another security guard and asked him this time, "will they finish this olympic flame in time??". he said, "i surely hope so!"

so if you believe these 2 security guards (and me of course), there will indeed be a cauldron at the VCC. my question is how they will seamless tie this into the opening ceremony, considering they are at opposite ends of downtown vancouver. i just hope its not on big screen in bc place- ack!

If it's really the cauldron:

1. I'm assuming it'll get taller, that does seem short.

2. I'm glad there's going to be a flame outside.

3. Good thing it's away from BC Place - that dome and concrete base aren't very attractive.

4. I'm not surprised by the white / gray color. See torch and community cauldron desgin.

it's actually not that short once you're there...it kind of goes on this rise. after being down there, it looks like mr. x took the picture from the sidewalk/street. there is a dip. but i could see them adding the top piece once they finish the base.

i thought "gray" was referring to the weather :)

I didn't take any of these pics, these are all from Flickr and other forums.

Cool morning shot form flickr

4152007211_878a24e107_b.jpg

Correct me if I'm wrong, but the cauldron we've been seeing recently should be just behind that bush on the right, correct? I'm not entirely familiar with the area unfortunately.

Yes, that's right

Correct me if I'm wrong, but the cauldron we've been seeing recently should be just behind that bush on the right, correct? I'm not entirely familiar with the area unfortunately.

Yup...the cauldron should be located right behind one of those tree branches.

^ it's the Toronto Dominion Tower, located in the Central Business District on Granville Street and West Georgia Street right next to the Art Gallery:

3712493335_1a90ef43e1_b.jpg

4163707834_222fcb97e8.jpg

Unfortunately, that's it for building wraps. VANOC would have made some of its own had it not cut almost all of its Look of the Games budget during the worst of the recession last year....these days, VANOC is rolling in money with sponsors flocking to the organization but it's too late to reinvest into the decorations.