My Torch Run

jawnbc

Jericho is at the bottom of the hill the University of BC is on. It's a 10-20 minute bus ride to downtown. Beautiful location, right near a beach with a stunning view of Stanley Park and downtown Vancouver

Here's the Hostel's site

PM me with your email and I'll sort out the Celine song....

no - I didn't know that she made a cover version of Frida Boccaras winning song...

Did I get you right, that you mean that there are no english versions of German titles?

Is Jericho far away from Vancouvers city center?

• 3 weeks later...

:

Start moving

I want to carry the flame for those whose alcoholism took away everything. In February 2010 I will be excited about the Games, but I’ll also think about where I’ve come from in twenty years. Starting in February 1990 I lost it all: job, home, family, and health—all gone in a few weeks. I found myself trying to figure out where it had all gone so terribly wrong. I could see where my life was headed—and I was terrified.

Terrified enough to change everything. I learned how to take care of myself: certainly no more alcohol, but also eating well and moving more. That first year I walked all over Vancouver. Then I learned how to cross-country ski. Over the next several years I added downhill skiing, ice and inline skating and snowboarding to the mix. My body recovered and got stronger; so did my mind and spirit. I even I went back to school, eventually earning a PhD. Life’s funny. Twenty years ago I was sedentary and wasting away. Today it’s me who organizes the gang to do stuff!

I’ve been so lucky; I’ve tried to give back. Over the years I’ve mentored others facing challenges like alcoholism. I tell them that for me it all started with two decisions: change everything. And start moving.

Wow, jawn...how beautiful. (I wish I could come back and run from what I am dealing with these days... :( )

THanks for sharing your touching essay.

• Like 1

Have a nice run..... in Meritt... I spend two months when I was 19 years old voluntering in Princeton,BC... and ever since... this part of the Okanagan is really deep in my heart. And for my birthday this Sunday the torch will be in Princeton BC. Meritt is really nice little town and you should be really proud to run in that area..... good luck... :S

Thanks! *blush*

And sorry to hear things aren't going as well as they could be in your life. :(

Wow, jawn...how beautiful. (I wish I could come back and run from what I am dealing with these days... :( )

THanks for sharing your touching essay.

That is really wonderful, jawnbc -- and shows what the Olympic Games (besides the sports action) are really about: Giving an inspiration to change something for the better.

And I wish you a great experience with the torch. I would be extremely moved if I could carry the Olympic Flame for a little part of its way to the host city. If the flame should come to Germany in 2018, I'll most certainly follow in your footsteps and apply as a torchbearer myself.

• Like 1

my torchbearer essay

When I found out I'd be a torchbearer I made a decision to hold back the essay I wrote to "win" my spot. To be selected as a torchbearer via Coke's competition you entered a random draw multiple times (I did nearly 100 times). If you make it past the first round you are asked to submit a 200 word essay about how you've changed your life for the better. Then a panel decides if your entry is one of the best 4000.

I thought long and hard before submitting this--even longer about sharing it. And not only because I find it hard to say anything in 200 words or less...ok, here goes:

Start moving

I want to carry the flame for those whose alcoholism took away everything. In February 2010 I will be excited about the Games, but I’ll also think about where I’ve come from in twenty years. Starting in February 1990 I lost it all: job, home, family, and health—all gone in a few weeks. I found myself trying to figure out where it had all gone so terribly wrong. I could see where my life was headed—and I was terrified.

Terrified enough to change everything. I learned how to take care of myself: certainly no more alcohol, but also eating well and moving more. That first year I walked all over Vancouver. Then I learned how to cross-country ski. Over the next several years I added downhill skiing, ice and inline skating and snowboarding to the mix. My body recovered and got stronger; so did my mind and spirit. I even I went back to school, eventually earning a PhD. Life’s funny. Twenty years ago I was sedentary and wasting away. Today it’s me who organizes the gang to do stuff!

I’ve been so lucky; I’ve tried to give back. Over the years I’ve mentored others facing challenges like alcoholism. I tell them that for me it all started with two decisions: change everything. And start moving.

brought a tear to my eye! have a wonderful time - am sure it will be a moving and unforgetable experience!

I just awoke and realised - that I didn't hear the alarm clock - I missed jawnbc's torch run...

:( :( :(

I also switched the torch relay live cam on when I came home at 1 a.m. -- but as I expected, I was too tired to stay awake until 3. So I fell asleep...

But jawnbc will most certainly be around soon -- currently he's probably sleeping (or maybe still partying?).

I also switched the torch relay live cam on when I came home at 1 a.m. -- but as I expected, I was too tired to stay awake until 3. So I fell asleep...

But jawnbc will most certainly be around soon -- currently he's probably sleeping (or maybe still partying?).

I suppose he is still partying!!!

:) :) :)

I am dissapointed that I didn't hear my alarm clock - I awoke 3 hours too late...

It is by far the best shot, eh? Taken by one of the local volunteers after I said "hey, could I ask you to snap one with my camera?"

Love your pic with the Canadian flag behind!