2014 Asian Games Bid

According to the offical website of OCA, the following NOCs have shown intends to bid for the 2014 Asian Games:

India

Jordan

S. Korea

Vietnam

I guess India will be New Delhi, as part of their plan to bid for future Olympics. Jordan has bid for 2010, but withdrew in the process. S. Korea maybe a city other than Seoul and Busan, maybe Incheon? Vietnam's bid is suprising, I know VN has hosted the SEA games, but seems that their infrastructure is still too far away from Asian standard.

The host of 2014 will be elected in the OCA meeting at Doha in Dec 2006.

Over a year left to decide on the winner, huh? Well, if it is New Delhi that wants to try to get the 2014 Asian Games, I'm sure that the city would want to have some or most of the future 2010 Commonwealth Games venues to be used in this venture.
That is strange. I guess theone can explain why KL is "not interested" at this time.

This is about a month old, but an interesting development nonetheless:

INCHEON, South Korea, June 2 Kyodo - The two Koreas have agreed to conduct a joint bid for the 2014 Asian Games between the South Korean port city of Incheon and the North Korean capital Pyongyang, South Korea's Yonhap News Agency reported today.

``Incheon and Pyongyang have agreed to bid to co-host the 2014 Asian Games,'' Yonhap quoted Incheon Mayor Ahn Sang Soo as saying upon returning from a visit to North Korea for a city-level inter-Korean exchange.

North Korea took part in the 2002 Games but the two Koreas have yet to co-host an Asian Games.

Kyodo

This "stunt" between the two Koreas is really pissing me off. They can talk and talk and parade as if they are one nation, and yet they have no intentions to compete as one nation and to be as one nation.. and yet they can still play this card to their advantage in getting "sentimental" votes.

I think people are already tired of this.. or maybe it's just me...

Any comments?

With that area of Asia being a hot bed of activity lately, something is going to have to give way in the near future.

Besides, not to be an idiot, but didn't Korea just host the last Asian Games before the upcoming one in Doha for 2006?

Besides, not to be an idiot, but didn't Korea just host the last Asian Games before the upcoming one in Doha for 2006?

Yup , the port city of Busan hosted the 2002 games. But since they are playing that "One Corea" card.......

since Doha winning the bid to host the 2006, the Asian Games bidding process has been an embarassment...

Looking at the other 3 candidates though, the Koreans may have an advantage.. coz the other 3 does not seem to be a solid choice... including India.

Yup , the port city of Busan hosted the 2002 games. But since they are playing that "One Corea" card.......

since Doha winning the bid to host the 2006, the Asian Games bidding process has been an embarassment...

Looking at the other 3 candidates though, the Koreans may have an advantage.. coz the other 3 does not seem to be a solid choice... including India.

Do you think the 2014 process will be no different here?

I don't know.

What happened for the 2006 vote was that each delegate should write the name of the city they want to host the 2006 games. It was between new delhi, kuala lumpur, hong kong, and doha...

well.. I've heard things many delegates did not want to spell out K-U-A-L-A   L-U-M-P-U-R... instead, they spelled D-O-H-A.

Wht can't they have printed candidate cities' names and just circle or check or mark at the city of their choice? It's not like the candidate cities were nominated during the meeting itself!

see the trend:

1982.Delhi,India (South Asia)

1986.Seoul,South Korea (East Asia)

1990.Beijing,China (East Asia)

1994.Hiroshima,Japan (East Asia)

1998.Bangkok,Thailand (South-east Asia)

2002.Pusan,South Korea (East Asia)

2006.Doha,Qatar (West Asia)

2010.Guangzhou/Canton,China (East Asia)

2014................. it's time for South Asian country.........

I don't want to see one more Korean Asiad after 1986 and 2002. Instead I want to see New Delhi to host the game, and I believe they will able to do so, esp after the commonwealth games.

New Delhi is the birthplace of modern Asiad movement and has hosted 1982 Asiad successfully.

• 3 months later...

Man, the International Games Archive is playing catch up here. First of all, Pyongyang wants to bid for the 2014 Asian Games?? Never mind having it joined with Incheon??  :shocked:

Can you guys figure this one out for me?

I support the Jordan bid (I suppose Amman is bidding, ins't it?) :;):  :)

Well, there was intent of bidding for the 2014 Asian Games by Jordan, but it seems that it has "not progressed."

Well, there was intent of bidding for the 2014 Asian Games by Jordan, but it seems that it has "not progressed."

Ops! Then I support a new country bidding :)

I don't think it will be happening in this case. According to that article, the serious contenders are (New) Delhi and that Korean joint bid.

I don't think it will be happening in this case. According to that article, the serious contenders are (New) Delhi and that Korean joint bid.

Ops again! What a pity! :oops: Then I support New Delhi, I suppose the frontrunner (after 2010 it will have a lot of infrastructure) :rolleyes:

Archived