Men's Figure Skating Gold

Athensfan

No, I am just hoping any body and everybody takes golds away from Germany and the USA. The only Germans I want to see with gold medals around their necks is Felix Loch or David Muller and Jenny Wolfe. Sorry.

Why? I dont like many Germans athletes either, but to say that only three Germans should win a medal sounds totally unfair. The same with the Americans. I wish Lindsay Vonn would win ALL gold medals at the Games. She is just great.

I agree with you Germanys medal collection has peaked. The former GDR athletes are now out and thats just fine.

• Replies 109
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Why? I dont like many Germans athletes either, but to say that only three Germans should win a medal sounds totally unfair. The same with the Americans. I wish Lindsay Vonn would win ALL gold medals at the Games. She is just great.

I agree with you Germanys medal collection has peaked. The former GDR athletes are now out and thats just fine.

No, you misunderstand. I don't care if Germany wins medals, I just don't want them to win gold other then the two German athletes I really like Felix Lock and Jenny Wolfe. Remember the medal table is based on gold. So for Canada to top it we will need to have the wealth spread out between Norway, Sweden, Germany, Austria, Switzerland, Russia and the USA.

I will be happy to see Germany do well as always, just not in the gold medal count. I hope the medal top is topped by Canada, Germany and Norway with an preference to Norway because I really like some of the Norwegian athletes, plus I have a screwed up emotional attachment to the country.

Abbott has no international pedigree, he won the US championship last year and then finished 11th at Worlds. He reminds me of Emanuel Sandhu, surprises you now and then but when push comes to shove others raise to the top.

Well, Michelle Kwan, the Protopopovs, Torvill and Dean had NO international pedigree before their first break. Why should the doors be slammed on Abbott? The international judges have seen him...and it probably won't be the same judges who saw him at last year World's. It could even be the same judges who made him win in the Grand Prix events. So I don't see how you can count a skater of the highest technical quality. Simiarly, Virtue and Moir too are JUST breaking into the top 4 pairs. So how come you open the door for them...and not for Abbott? Oh, and BTW, Davis and White beat Virtue-Moir at the Grand Prix. I can't see anything but these top 2 pairs getting even better. And Delobel-Schoenfelder...pffft. They're c'est finis; all that secret B/S is just hiding at how unredy they are.

I'm seeing a little Pillan and Tulsa sneaking in there, Fast. There is absolutely no reason for the podium to pre-belong to Daisuke, Chan and even Lysacek. Evan is a good trier...but I still don't know if that makes up for his gangly arms and legs, and sometimes lack of grace. Jeremy has him beat in spades over these points. Chan? From what I've seen him do, is no GOLD Medal material. Maybe bronze...

I think even without a quad, Abbott can take home the gold if he skated like he did at US nationals. He is a more impressive skater than Daisuke; and Plushenko and Joubert...well, we'll have to wait and see how they face up to the No. Americans and the Japanese when those are thrown into the mix.

Edited by baron-pierreIV

No, you misunderstand. I don't care if Germany wins medals, I just don't want them to win gold other then the two German athletes I really like Felix Lock and Jenny Wolfe. Remember the medal table is based on gold. So for Canada to top it we will need to have the wealth spread out between Norway, Sweden, Germany, Austria, Switzerland, Russia and the USA.

I will be happy to see Germany do well as always, just not in the gold medal count. I hope the medal top is topped by Canada, Germany and Norway with an preference to Norway because I really like some of the Norwegian athletes, plus I have a screwed up emotional attachment to the country.

Excuse me, but I dont understand why it is so important to top the medal table!? Germany was a t top the last time. I didnt get healthier, the weather didnt get better, the unemployment rate didnt get lower and I didnt feel better. It had no consequences to me or my life. Medals table is so needless and old fashioned to me.

BTW, Loch hasnt been in form recently and Wolf will lose to the Chinese skater. And Aljona Savchenko/Robin Szolkowy dont even win against the Russians any more. How should they beat the Chinese?

Faster, one gold medal less...

Edited by Goethe

I think that the Ice Dance competition is wide open and Virtue and Moir have been performing well and will be in contention for gold. There is no denying that.

Jeremy Abbott has only 1 major finish, compared to a fair few major disappointing results. So to have suspicions is perfectly reasonable.

I just made predictions, its not an exact science. Its what I feel and what I hope.

And goethe, its called patriotism. Canada has a terrible record on home soil (though at the time they were amongst our best performances) It would mean a lot to Canadians to have the honour of topping the medal table.

Remember the medal table is based on gold.

Depends where you live. I've lived in the U.K. and there it is all about gold. In the U.S. it never has been. This is not just because of China's gold medal haul in 2008. For as long as I can remember, U.S. networks have arranged the medal table according to total medals.

I may be mistaken on this (I'm sure someone will let me know if I am) but it seems to me that 2008 is the first time there's been such a noticeable difference between total gold medals and total medals of any color. More often than not, it seems the two go together or if they go to different nations the margin is slimmer than it was in 2008.

The U.S. is nowhere near as strong in the WOGs anyway and, as near as I can tell, nobody's predicting anything close to a chart-topping haul in Vancouver.

Well, Michelle Kwan, the Protopopovs, Torvill and Dean had NO international pedigree before their first break. Why should the doors be slammed on Abbott? The international judges have seen him...and it probably won't be the same judges who saw him at last year World's. It could even be the same judges who made him win in the Grand Prix events. So I don't see how you can count a skater of the highest technical quality. Simiarly, Virtue and Moir too are JUST breaking into the top 4 pairs. So how come you open the door for them...and not for Abbott? Oh, and BTW, Davis and White beat Virtue-Moir at the Grand Prix. I can't see anything but these top 2 pairs getting even better. And Delobel-Schoenfelder...pffft. They're c'est finis; all that secret B/S is just hiding at how unredy they are.

I'm seeing a little Pillan and Tulsa sneaking in there, Fast. There is absolutely no reason for the podium to pre-belong to Daisuke, Chan and even Lysacek. Evan is a good trier...but I still don't know if that makes up for his gangly arms and legs, and sometimes lack of grace. Jeremy has him beat in spades over these points. Chan? From what I've seen him do, is no GOLD Medal material. Maybe bronze...

I think even without a quad, Abbott can take home the gold if he skated like he did at US nationals. He is a more impressive skater than Daisuke; and Plushenko and Joubert...well, we'll have to wait and see how they face up to the No. Americans and the Japanese when those are thrown into the mix.

well, Kwan was world junior champion in 1994 and skated at her first senior worlds at age of 13. virtue and moir took silver at worlds 2008. chan is still a work in progress with his injury earlier this season derailing him a lot.

For anybody interested in watching Europeans, try Here and particular the Estonian television links listed. The live streams are working very well for some people and not so well for others, depending on your location and IT set-up. Also on this thread (various pages) are links to other live options such as Swedish feed (geo-limited area), Turkish TRT3 (some live, some taped), and Russian (pay only). There are a lot of complaints that Eurosport has cut back on skating coverage this year, as have other of the "usual suspect" media outlets.

I don't think Joubert will be on the podium. I think he got only 148 for his long program at the Europeans. Did you know that Abbott and Chan both scored more than 175 at their Nationals? I know their scores maybe have been a bit inflated, but both performances deserved more than 160. Joubert got 88 for his short. Chan with errors can mark 85 ... artistically, he improved so much! He is definitely the best in the world with Abbott, just before Takahashi!Well, Lambiel is very good too. Will he be ready technically... Plushenko and Joubert are only jumpers and europeans inflated the PCS for Plushenko yesterday... 83 is a lot for a guy who struggles greatly will originality and choreography! My pics are :

Plushenko, Abbott, Chan and Oda