Men's Figure Skating Gold

Athensfan

Well, the ISU, like the IOC, should be careful. It happened the last time 8 years ago. A brouhaha occured and a deserving North American couple (Sale & Pelletier) were upgraded to a gold.

These Games are happening on North American soil and it CAN happen again. The bloc of non-North American judges will be GREATLY scrutinized for their infinistesmal points. Unless they are going to be stupid again and ignore the lessons of history. If the 3 North American couples are the best this February, then so be it. Then can give the consolation prizes in Torino for the Europeans.

I was under the impression that the audience will never know which countries judge award which score.

• Replies 109
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I checked the ISU site and couldn't find a communiqué about the OWG judges. There was one for the other ISU championships though. We know Sally Rehorick won't be one though: she's working at VANOC.

^ The scores are anonymous and randomly selected, but you can sometimes tell which judge was which through the PCS.

If there is any truth to the rumours currently circulating in the press involving the Japanese Skating Federation, the ISU and Yu-Na Kim the sport is finished. The IOC once before threatened to kick figure skating out of the Olympics if they did not clean up their act ... this time they could won't hesitate to go through with it. I just pray the rumours are not true.

If there is any truth to the rumours currently circulating in the press involving the Japanese Skating Federation, the ISU and Yu-Na Kim the sport is finished. The IOC once before threatened to kick figure skating out of the Olympics if they did not clean up their act ... this time they could won't hesitate to go through with it. I just pray the rumours are not true.

R u crazy? The 1994 Lillehammer Nancy Kerrigan-Tonya Harding face-off in the short program stands as the #6 most highly watched TV event in US viewing history of ALL TIME...and they're going to drop figure skating?

And all the backstage drama about corrupt judges getting exposed and all that...ONLY adds to the great drama behind the sport...

Uhmmm... :blink: may I suggest rebooting your hard-drive, Bob?

Edited by baron-pierreIV

The new system has made it impossible for judges to cook the books. There's little room for ambiguity and there would need to be collusion amonst an entire component judging panel for it to happen. There's been only a few ice dance competitions where the podium's been determined by a couple of points or less.

When Kim Yu-Na tanked at one of her Grand Prix assignments her scores reflected that. When Denis Ten (Kazakhstan) skated the free skate of his life last year at Worlds, his score reflected that.

I'm 100% confident of the system.

I am confident in the new system as well. The system is pretty open and all of the protocols and scores for every element are available after the competition. The reason this system works so well is because if you say finish 6th in the short, you can still have a chance. If you watch the placements in the Grand Prix, people actually had a chance and did move up in the standings something that was not present before.

I don't see Figure Skating being kicked out of the games ever, not with the high price/demand for tickets that currently exists.

I don't see figure skating leaving the Olympic program either. Much as the endless calculations of the new scoring system are somewhat tedious, I do think it yields more accurate results. I haven't seen a competition under the new system where it seemed like the medals went to the wrong skaters.

Japanese complaints are unfounded. Yuna Kim has a target on her back because she's a one-of-a-kind talent. Whether or not she skates her best at the Games, she is an extraordinary athlete for whom figure skating appears as natural as breathing. Nobody can match that innate grace, musicality and characterization. She is one of a handful of skaters to stun me with a truly magical performance. If nerves get the better of her and she falters on her jumps, I'm confident that the scores will reflect that. The truth is that for all their athleticism none of the Japanese skaters has her poetry and they know there's nothing they can do about it. Even if they beat her on points, I don't see any way they can beat her on soul.

/\ I think the Japanese are peeved that Kim Yuna or Yuna Kim seems to have the longer legs that they can only aspire to...but so far haven't bred...maybe even with their "imported" half-Japanese/half-American ice dancers, the Reed siblings.

Nearly all those Japanese skaters have those stunted legs.

R u crazy? The 1994 Lillehammer Nancy Kerrigan-Tonya Harding face-off in the short program stands as the #6 most highly watched TV event in US viewing history of ALL TIME...and they're going to drop figure skating?

And all the backstage drama about corrupt judges getting exposed and all that...ONLY adds to the great drama behind the sport...

Uhmmm... :blink: may I suggest rebooting your hard-drive, Bob?

but Tonya and Nancy happend when figure skating was good to watch. It happend during the 6.0 system which is way better and hasn't alienated the viewers. Also, only during the new scoring system can a skater tank badly in the free skate and ended up winning. unlike in the 6.0 system, if a skater tanks badly in the free skate they lose, plain and simple. now it seems figure skating is won in the short program. its like being back in the days when only school figures and free skate are judged. the skater who leads and in particular a skate who led with a huge margin wins, just like what's happening now. the new scoring system also took out a lot of the artistry that the sport used to have. no way are we going to see artistic programs like that of kristi, katarina and michelle kwan with this scoring system especially when all the emphasis are on jumps. when i watched last year's worlds, watching miki ando do all sorts of jumping sequences made me really tired.

I suppose you want to bring back figures too...

but Tonya and Nancy happend when figure skating was good to watch. It happend during the 6.0 system which is way better and hasn't alienated the viewers. Also, only during the new scoring system can a skater tank badly in the free skate and ended up winning. unlike in the 6.0 system, if a skater tanks badly in the free skate they lose, plain and simple. now it seems figure skating is won in the short program. its like being back in the days when only school figures and free skate are judged. the skater who leads and in particular a skate who led with a huge margin wins, just like what's happening now. the new scoring system also took out a lot of the artistry that the sport used to have. no way are we going to see artistic programs like that of kristi, katarina and michelle kwan with this scoring system especially when all the emphasis are on jumps. when i watched last year's worlds, watching miki ando do all sorts of jumping sequences made me really tired.

And the ENDLESS explanation by commentators that it is so--and..so...leaves me EQUALLY TIRED!!

I wish they would just draw the winners outta a hat!! And/or add/subtract extra points for Best/Worst Costume and/or Music!!

Actually programs have become way more artistic under the new system, and the skating skills, transitions and overall skating quality has improved since the new judging system came into effect. Look at Patrick Chan, and Jeffrey Buttle, both amazing, powerful skaters that can pull the audience into their programs and they don't have the big jumps.

Actually programs have become way more artistic under the new system, and the skating skills, transitions and overall skating quality has improved since the new judging system came into effect. Look at Patrick Chan, and Jeffrey Buttle, both amazing, powerful skaters that can pull the audience into their programs and they don't have the big jumps.

Chan? He imploded. Couldn't handle the program he tried for.

Buttle? Where is he? Quit right after he won the world's.

THe current system MIGHT seem that way but nobody really hangs around anymore. It is too demanding. I prefer the pout era of Surya Bonaly. Give them what you want and they can take it or leave it!! Leave in a diva huff! I love that!!

Chan? He imploded. Couldn't handle the program he tried for.

Buttle? Where is he? Quit right after he won the world's.

THe current system MIGHT seem that way but nobody really hangs around anymore. It is too demanding. I prefer the pout era of Surya Bonaly. Give them what you want and they can take it or leave it!! Leave in a diva huff! I love that!!

When did Chan implode? He is a world silver medalist that got injured during training and has only skated once this season. You didn't really expect him to get a 250 point score on the first time out.

Buttle retired, but you are probably right that he didn't want to go through the process of getting through everything that is now required.

The biggest problem in figure skating is that it is dominated by cold, unfriendly, not engaging female skaters from Japan and Korea. Ando, Asada and Kim do not come across never as well as Lapinski, Yamaguchi, Kwan, Witt etc.

Joubert is a prick, Plashenko was always second fiddle to Yagudin and the Americans are a bunch of obvious queers. This doesn't translate well to an audience.

Patrick Chan and his coach have parted ways due to the fact that his coach is taking a full-time job in Florida. Lori Nichol, who is his choreographer, has taken over coaching duties with Christy Krall as technical assistant. They say the transition has been smooth, but you have to wonder with a month to go how this might effect his performances. We will soon see with the Canadian Championships starting next week.

Yu-Na Kim is a superstar in Korea, getting mobbed every time she is out in public. There are a lot of Koreans in Vancouver. If a number of them got tickets they will certain liven up the audience. Joannie will naturally get great support. I would definitely disagree with any negativity in regards to the men's program. Many are anticipating on of the best competitions ever. The only thing hurting figure skating over the last few years and continues to dog the sport are rumours of judging scandals.

not sure about that/ what's artistic about contortionist type spins? the more contortionist the spins the better? the better spins the more they get injured? a lot of skaters now gets injured than the 6.0 system. the demands that the new scoring system has added only hastened some skaters into retirement. also a program has to talk about itself and none of the programs now has that. back in the 6.0 system for a skater to win, one must have 2 squeaky clean performance. now, performances with falls are winning. what is that about? in the 6.0 system a performance with a fall is usually enough to get a skater in tears and wait for other skaters to mak emistake to ensure they'll be stepping at the podium, now as long as they have good short program no matter how flawed a free skate is they can still win.

just my 2 cents.

I'm guessing you've never seen Kim skate live. I have; she's electric. Magic. 3 years ago she was robo-jump; no more.

And piss off with the homophobic language. Some of us are obvious queers--rather than <b>obvious a$$hats</b>. Or go somewhere else with your crap.

The biggest problem in figure skating is that it is dominated by cold, unfriendly, not engaging female skaters from Japan and Korea. Ando, Asada and Kim do not come across never as well as Lapinski, Yamaguchi, Kwan, Witt etc.

Joubert is a prick, Plashenko was always second fiddle to Yagudin and the Americans are a bunch of obvious queers. This doesn't translate well to an audience.

Spins are not about contortions ... they are graded on speed, centering, changes of position and changes of direction. The new scoring system has thankfully put more emphasis on spins ... it is no longer all about jumps, jumps, jumps!

The points system only gives credit to jumps that are fully rotated whether landed or not. And a fall is an automatic 1 point deduction. However, the system does encourage skaters to attempt more triple jumps and combinations.

As for Faster's remarks, while I am heterosexual I was also offended by his remarks. Whatever your feelings about a person's sexual orienation you should keep them to yourself. You just show your ignorance. I suggest the moderater prohibit these type of remarks from seeing the light of day and remove them.

I'm guessing you've never seen Kim skate live. I have; she's electric. Magic. 3 years ago she was robo-jump; no more.

And piss off with the homophobic language. Some of us are obvious queers--rather than <b>obvious a$$hats</b>. Or go somewhere else with your crap.

i haven't seen her skate live yet, but she's the only one i can tolerate. asada and ando is ok, not into their skating. i hate kostner big time. can't forget how she was held up in goteborg in 2008 when she should've been off the podium with a kerrigan like (prague 1993) skate.

Spins are not about contortions ... they are graded on speed, centering, changes of position and changes of direction. The new scoring system has thankfully put more emphasis on spins ... it is no longer all about jumps, jumps, jumps!

The points system only gives credit to jumps that are fully rotated whether landed or not. And a fall is an automatic 1 point deduction. However, the system does encourage skaters to attempt more triple jumps and combinations.

As for Faster's remarks, while I am heterosexual I was also offended by his remarks. Whatever your feelings about a person's sexual orienation you should keep them to yourself. You just show your ignorance. I suggest the moderater prohibit these type of remarks from seeing the light of day and remove them.

1 point for a fall is to generous. when a skater falls the programs flow is disrupted one way or the other.

Buttle was an amazing skater who won bronze at the olympics in 2006 and then won the world championships in 2008. Why not go out on top? He killed the competition when he won the worlds that year and that was still without a quad.
and he did it with the same program from 2007. he was really great there. such great artistry and no need for awkward looking spins. joubert just couldn't take defeat nicely.

I suppose you want to bring back figures too...
not really bring it back, but have skaters train it more for better edgings. when figures was removed after 1990 only a handful of skaters really had good edges. the last skater i can think off with really excellent edges is michelle kwan for the ladies for the men...hmm... quite a lot (definitely not joubert) patrick chan has really excellent edges, his coach then Don Laws (who coached Scott Hamilton) made him learn it. kwan's edges are so deep and so in control (especially in the spiral).