Hobart 2020

Sir Rols

So it looked realistic to me (sorry, my Australian geography's rather rusty so I wouldn't know otherwise), until I saw that the "movement" was started by 2 radio DJ's. If your DJ's in Australia are anything like they are here in the States they're pretty well known for practical jokes and the like.

Then I did some research and found that Hobart's population is only about 209,000, roughly 100,000 smaller than Antwerp's (smallest host city ever) in the 1920's.

I have to say though, this stadium looks pretty cool, but I have a strange feeling I've seen it before.

davidfosterstadium.jpg

All jokes aside, Hobart actually has a very positive selling point. The environment.

While technically any bid would hardly stack up, any bid team wouldn't find it hard to sell its sustainability case in, arguably, one of most untouched and isolated parts of the world.

All jokes aside, Hobart actually has a very positive selling point. The environment.

While technically any bid would hardly stack up, any bid team wouldn't find it hard to sell its sustainability case in, arguably, one of most untouched and isolated parts of the world.

That's actually a very valid point! I wonder how much Olympic development would tear that up though...

That's actually a very valid point! I wonder how much Olympic development would tear that up though...

A small scale, low key, low damage Olympic Games with more emphasis on the environment, sustainability and olympism rather than Water Cubes, large Olympic parks and railway extensions?

hey guys, I'm one of 'those crazy Radio DJs' who started the bid, and although it did start off as a bit off a joke, the support and momentum we have received for it has mad us take it as more of a serious bid! Do we have a massive struggle and campaign on our hands? Yes. Will we succeed? More than likely no. Will we try our asses off and get Hobart recognised for more than a backwater town we are perceived as? Absolutely!

Laugh and scoff all you want, because we are going all the way with this you can count on that!

And FYI: Yes we 'borrowed' the design for the stadium but we are getting original ones drawn up...

AND for others references, we haven't made up the quotes on the website, we do have the full support of the people mentioned

hey guys, I'm one of 'those crazy Radio DJs' who started the bid, and although it did start off as a bit off a joke, the support and momentum we have received for it has mad us take it as more of a serious bid! Do we have a massive struggle and campaign on our hands? Yes. Will we succeed? More than likely no. Will we try our asses off and get Hobart recognised for more than a backwater town we are perceived as? Absolutely!

Laugh and scoff all you want, because we are going all the way with this you can count on that!

And FYI: Yes we 'borrowed' the design for the stadium but we are getting original ones drawn up...

AND for others references, we haven't made up the quotes on the website, we do have the full support of the people mentioned

This is a very exciting development for TULSA!

When I saw your site first, I suppose that what did strike me was that it was a reasonably well thought-out plan. Good work. Not to go all "mainlander" on you, but, seriously though, Hobart for the Olympics? It really does seem out of Tasmania's league logistically and realistically. Have you approached the AOC?

Realistically, I think there's a good foundation for a Commonwealth Games bid in there.

This is a very exciting development for TULSA!

We have contacted the AOC and are constantly trying to get a reply or some sort of recognition, but we are still working on this in attempt to be taken seriously.

And yes, Commonwealth Games are an objective too, we will push for those if our first Olympic bid fails and then with the success of the Commonwealth Games we will show the world what we're made of!

Well, I guess where there's a will there's a way. I'd take Hobart over Tulsa or Birmingham any day. I'll become one of your supporters on Facebook. Best of luck to you! :)

We have contacted the AOC and are constantly trying to get a reply or some sort of recognition, but we are still working on this in attempt to be taken seriously.

And yes, Commonwealth Games are an objective too, we will push for those if our first Olympic bid fails and then with the success of the Commonwealth Games we will show the world what we're made of!

Cheers mate!

hehehe very funny i am guessing by the name this if from kim and Dave breakfast show that i dont listen to but might have to start to if your going to get the games to Hobart.

I have 2 rooms to rent out if anyone is interested :)

hehehe very funny i am guessing by the name this if from kim and Dave breakfast show that i dont listen to but might have to start to if your going to get the games to Hobart.

I have 2 rooms to rent out if anyone is interested :)

I can assure you mate that no I am not Kim nor Dave, more so Ben from The Brink on Edge Radio!

• 2 weeks later...

Archived