FIFA: "No" to Opening Gala at 2006 World Cup

Rafa

It's abit of a shame that this has been dumped. Ok, I like stadium theatre events, but i can see the point that many have about those sports events which have a lengthy opening ceremony directly before the opening match. The people go there to watch that match (fifa world cup, rwc etc etc).

That's the good thing about the Olympics, it is the only thing on that evening. It isnt holding anything up, if u dont want to watch it, you dont turn on the tv.

Unlike the rwc or soccer world cup, where u have a bunch of people who quite possibly have no interest in the ceremony, and just wanna see some sport.

So I guess, in this way, there were many merits in holding a stand alone opening ceremony for the World Cup.

Anyway, what was planned for the German OC that would have wrecked the pitch? The OC in Seoul certainly didn't stop the opening game going ahead (or maybe France blamed the OC for them being beaten by Senegal).

You obviously confuse the planned opening gala in Germany this year with the opening ceremony practised shortly before the opening matches at previous FIFA World Cups.

The opening gala (which was cancelled today) should be staged on June 7 in Berlin, i.e. two days before the opening match and would have been the first extensive and separate opening ceremony (similar to the Olympic OCs) in the World Cup history. This gala has nothing to do with the shorter ceremony on the day of the opening match!

And as far as I know, the "traditional" opening ceremony (i.e. the short show segment before the opening match) was planned to be staged additionally, namely on June 9 in Munich. After the cancellation of the opening gala, this shorter "traditional" ceremony will now be the only ceremonial kick-off of this year's World Cup.

Regarding your question what was planned for the World Cup opening gala: Jessye Norman, the Black Eyed Peas and Algerian singer Cheb Khaled should perform and also 132 former world champions (including Diego Maradona and Pelé) should make an appearance. 6500 volunteers scheduled for the gala. These are the only details I know so far.

so the gala is not the opening? it's an addictional  protocol ceremony which preview the opening right?

well in this case I think it's not so dramatic.. moreover the FIFA WC ceremonies are not so crucial and unforgattable as those of the olympics..

anyway I think this WC will be great for the amazing venues and for the return to an european professional target (see the referees, the organization etc..)  :;):

Again, some people enjoy such events. You may not, but that does not mean neither do other. You may see them as pointless, others find them entertaining.

He is such a drip.  An odd-person-out here where most everyone gets excited by everything else -- all the peripheral pageantry that comes with the event -- and some of the sports itself which can get boring after awhile.  You've seen one 4x100 race whether on the track or on the water --you've seen them all.

I don't know why he even hangs around here.

The nonsense you spout regularly amuses me. Please continue to entertain us all with your breathtaking immaturity.

Jesus wept, one person disagrees and gets hammered for it. What's the world coming to?

anyway I think this WC will be great for the amazing venues and for the return to an european professional target (see the referees, the organization etc..)  :;):

You shouldn't talk that big, Rei -- or shall I enumerate the flaws Torino 2006 had to deal with until now?

Whilst I am a massive fan of OG opening ceremonies, I must agree with arwebb. I honestly think the majority of football fans find them a massive turnoff, indeed I don't think the BBC had any plans to broadcast it. Whilst I enjoy it at the OG because it is such a global event, I don't think the World Cup would benefit, as most people will just want to get on with the football. Just have a small OC before, like at Euro 2004. That was perfect.
Again, some people enjoy such events. You may not, but that does not mean neither do other. You may see them as pointless, others find them entertaining.

He is such a drip.  An odd-person-out here where most everyone gets excited by everything else -- all the peripheral pageantry that comes with the event -- and some of the sports itself which can get boring after awhile.  You've seen one 4x100 race whether on the track or on the water --you've seen them all.

The nonsense you spout regularly amuses me. Please continue to entertain us all with your breathtaking immaturity.

Blah-blah-blah.   Oh, yeah - like you're the paragon of maturity?   :rolleyes:   And how dare you even use 'Jesus' in your posts!!  

Jackass.   :P

You shouldn't talk that big, Rei -- or shall I enumerate the flaws Torino 2006 had to deal with until now?

what the hell are you talking about?????   :o

what's wrong with what I said?  ???

I thought you alluded to last winter's referee scandal here in Germany (--> "referees") and the bad results of some of the World Cup stadia in a security test one week ago (--> "organization"). And you used an ironic smiley after your posting. That gave me the impression that you meant your "praise" for the German referees and organisation ironically.

However, you should be very careful of talking about the German referees. Since last year, this is a very sensitive topic here in Germany.

I thought you alluded to last winter's referee scandal here in Germany (--> "referees") and the bad results of some of the World Cup stadia in a security test one week ago (--> "organization"). And you used an ironic smiley after your posting. That gave me the impression that you meant your "praise" for the German referees and organisation ironically.

However, you should be very careful of talking about the German referees. Since last year, this is a very sensitive topic here in Germany.

well you totally misunderstood my intentions.. I wasn't ironical.. the ironical smile was to make you understand to not be worry about the gala cancel.. I think it's not so important for the well success of the WC..

I mean this time there will european professional referees.. nothing to do with incompetent referees from remotes countries like those of Korea/Japan who cames from Kiribati or Equador..

Blah-blah-blah.   Oh, yeah - like you're the paragon of maturity?   :rolleyes:   And how dare you even use 'Jesus' in your posts!!  

Jackass.   :P

Quite easily. Next stupid question.

Whilst I am a massive fan of OG opening ceremonies, I must agree with arwebb. I honestly think the majority of football fans find them a massive turnoff, indeed I don't think the BBC had any plans to broadcast it. Whilst I enjoy it at the OG because it is such a global event, I don't think the World Cup would benefit, as most people will just want to get on with the football. Just have a small OC before, like at Euro 2004. That was perfect.

Even with the European Championship ones, they seem to be regarded as something to poke fun at (in my opinion, quite rightly so). It's a different scenario from the Olympics.

Archived