Brazilian Music

danfla

"Brazilian" Music from Cologne (Germany) - this song was sold more than 5,000,000 times in 1997 - the group is called after a Brazilian football player - the song was played after every goal at the European Football Championships 2008:

http://www.youtube.c...h?v=fMZ1PbeqCqc

This song is very famous worldwide. Indeed, it's the official theme for the Wii game "Samba de Amigo".

• Replies 57
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • 3 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...

When I was a little kid I loved to dance and listen lambada from Kaoma :P no wonder we could see that at the olympics or at least at the end of the closing ceremony when it's used to have more danceable music (though of course we'll see samba in probably all the ceremonies) :D

Talking about Brazilian Music is often quite interesting. But some underestimate how influential it is! Not only have we given the world its favorite and most influential elevator music of ALL TIME (c'mom, what's an awkward elevator moment without GIRL FROM IPANEMA playing in the background? XD), but some of our most famous songs have been localized quite successfully, particulary in Europe. Need proof? Thanks to kibeloco, now we have it!

To all my fellow brazilians out there, tell me if you ever heard Jurgen Drew's hit tune Paprika:

Want more? XD How about Giorgios Tsalikis' Para Poli?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3dq6GIX6cqg&feature=player_embedded

And...oh, my God I have no idea what's going on here. Just watch it, ok? XD

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Spg9I_hpffY&feature=player_embedded

Talking about Brazilian Music is often quite interesting. But some underestimate how influential it is! Not only have we given the world its favorite and most influential elevator music of ALL TIME (c'mom, what's an awkward elevator moment without GIRL FROM IPANEMA playing in the background? XD), but some of our most famous songs have been localized quite successfully, particulary in Europe. Need proof? Thanks to kibeloco, now we have it!

But who made this "parapapapapa" first? Brazilians or Mediterraneans?

But who made this "parapapapapa" first? Brazilians or Mediterraneans?

We did. It's from Rap das Armas, the theme song of Tropa de Elite. The song itself is older, though. I belive it's from 1995.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

"Brazilian" Music from Cologne (Germany) - this song was sold more than 5,000,000 times in 1997 - the group is called after a Brazilian football player - the song was played after every goal at the European Football Championships 2008:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fMZ1PbeqCqc

Video was removed :( Now I'm curious.

To all my fellow brazilians out there, tell me if you ever heard Jurgen Drew's hit tune Paprika:

Want more? XD How about Giorgios Tsalikis' Para Poli?

And...oh, my God I have no idea what's going on here. Just watch it, ok? XD

wtf? killwithfire.jpg

LOL! Hey, Catra is back! Haven't seen you for quite some time! =D

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 months later...

This is a live performance of the song Tropicália by Caetano Veloso. In 1967, this song was the trigger of an important cultural movement in Brazil called Tropicalism. It traces its roots on Brazilian Modernism, pop culture and cultural cannibalism or Antropofagia, as we call it here. Antropofagia is a form of resisting cultural imperialism: we can't deny external influence in our culture. So what do we do? We devour their culture and mix it to ours. Because we always were cannibals and we always devoured what make us stronger.

One of the first things that happened in these lands and put us in the map (the south coast of my state BTW) was the sinking of the ship that was bringing Portuguese settlers. The survivors were devoured by cannibal Native Brazilians. This is where Antropofagia takes its inspiration: the foreigner was devoured by this land (and sea) and became part of it. And that's how we celebrate our mixed, fluid identity.

You will notice that in Tropicalia: we devoured the sounds of the "caucasian rock", of the brazilian natives, and of the african slaves. Because we are that mix, aren't we?

Maybe the whole world will be devoured in Copacabana Beach by 2016 and we'll celebrate the biggest mix ever. B)

• 5 months later...

'Aquele Abraço', by Gilberto Gil. Featured in some bid videos and the logo launch. BTW, this song was written in London, when Gil was exiled from Brazil by the military dictatorship in '69. Great candidate for the handover next year B)

Enjoy:

I'm almost sure we'll be hearing Cidade Maravilhosa or Aquarela do Brasil (or both) in the handover. Those are the most recognizable brazilian songs without doubt. But i would like to hear Aquele Abraco on the 2016 ceremonies as well.

• 2 years later...

Alguem gostou do Bonde das Maravilhas?! ^_^ kkkkkkk I just watched it this week, I think Maravilha was meant for the city as a backdrop lol

• 1 month later...

Archived