Lionel Messi (Argentina), Barcelona

Xavi (Spain), Barcelona

Nominees for 2009 Fifa Women's World Player of the Year:

Cristiane (Brazil)

Inka Grings (Germany)

Marta (Brazil)

Birgit Prinz (Germany)

Kelly Smith (England)

Messi would be the first Argentine to win the award, has been shortlisted alongside his Barcelona team-mates Xavi and Andres Iniesta.

Last year's winner Cristiano Ronaldo and his Real Madrid co-star Kaka complete the nominations.

The winners will then be revealed at the 19th Fifa World Player Gala at the Zurich Kongresshaus on Monday 21 December.

Also at the event, the best 11 players of the year as chosen by over 50,000 professional footballers from all over the world will be honoured in the Fifa/FIFPro World XI.

The Fifa Puskas Award will be presented to scorer of the 'most beautiful goal' of 2009.

http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport2/hi/football/8400373.stm

FIFA World Player Gala 2009:

The FIFA Fair Play Award for 2009 has been posthumously given to Sir Bobby Robson, who passed away on 31 July this year following a long battle against cancer at the age of 76.

Colleagues, opponents and football fans all over the world respected and admired Robson, who epitomised the values of fair play, while also enjoying tremendous levels of success. As a player, he represented England at the 1958 FIFA World Cup™ and as a manager won league championships in both the Netherlands and Portugal, as well as earning trophies in England and Spain.

http://www.fifa.com/classicfootball/awards...fair+play+award

as expected...

Argentina’s Lionel Messi collected his first FIFA World Player of the Year title while Brazil’s Marta became the first to obtain four FIFA Women’s World Player of the Year awards at the 19th FIFA World Player Gala at the Zurich Kongresshaus on Monday evening.

Messi had an outstanding 2009, leading his club FC Barcelona to a historic season and collecting the FIFA Club World Cup, the UEFA Champions League and Super Cup crowns and the Spanish Liga, Super Cup and Cup titles along the way. The 1,073 points he obtained in the vote, participated in by the coaches and captains of 147 national teams, saw him win by a clear margin ahead of Portugal’s Cristiano Ronaldo in second (352 points) and Spain’s Xavi (196), Brazil’s Kaka (190) and Spain’s Andres Iniesta (134).

Two new awards were presented at the gala. The FIFA/FIFPro World XI to honour the best eleven players of the year, as chosen by over 50,000 professional players from all over the world, went to a real “dream team” featuring Iker Casillas (Spain) in goal; Daniel Alves (Brazil), Nemanja Vidic (Serbia), John Terry (England) and Patrice Evra (France) in defence; Steven Gerrard (England), Xavi (Spain) and Andres Iniesta (Spain) in midfield; and Lionel Messi (Argentina), Cristiano Ronaldo (Portugal) and Fernando Torres (Spain) up front.

Also handed out for the first time was the FIFA Puskás Award for the 'most beautiful goal' of the year as voted for on FIFA.com by over 120,000 fans. This prize, created in honour and in memory of Ferenc Puskás, the captain and star of the Hungarian national team during the 1950s, went to Cristiano Ronaldo for his fantastic goal in the UEFA Champions League match between FC Porto and Manchester United on 15 April 2009.

http://www.fifa.com/classicfootball/awards...ng+fourth+crown

• 2 weeks later...

Isnt this poll a a joke? I always thought football is a team sport. Well, I must be wrong. I dont want to argue about Messis win, but Marthas win and Grings last place is a joke. Grings has won the UEFA-Cup, scored 6 goals at the E-Ch and was a member of the winning team. Still Kelly Smith, the English striker received more votes.

In 2007 Germany has won the World Cup without receiving a goal. In the final Brazil got a penalty kick but Martha failed. Still she was voted player of the year with Angerer (the German goalkeeper) far behind.

I know I sound envy but I am not. Martha has now won this title several times, but still she isnt a World Cup winner nor an Olympic Gold medalist.

Which title would she choose if she is allowed to?

Archived