AUSTRALIA SHOULD HOST ASIAN SOCCER CUP

More on the issue of Australia being more involved in Asia, I was thinking that Australia(now that the Australian Soccer Federation is included in the Asian Soccer Zone and Confederation and will take part in the Asian Soccer Cup) should try to bid to host the Asian Soccer Cup.

There are some good reasons why Australia should consider hosting this tournament.

1. It will help to promote the interest in soccer Down Under especially among the people.

2. Australia already has adequate facilities to host a major tournament like the Asian Soccer Cup. About 6-10 venues (stadiums) can be used to host it.

3. There are now more and more Asians staying in Australia. There should be a good catchment area to draw spectators/fans to the games.

4. It can act as a good 'dress rehearsal' and practice and give good experience for Australia to host the soccer World Cup in the future.

5. It can attract fans/visitors from the Asian region to travel to Australia to watch the games. This will in turn boost the Australian economy.

Dear fellow forumites, please feel free to give your views and opinions. Happy New Year!

:D  :D  :D  :)  :D

Yeah, I can see your point, and that's the sort of debate that does get argued within Australia and Asia at large (The likes of Malaysia, for example, doesn't like to see Australia in any of the Asian political or economic forums).

Still, it doesn't change the fact that Australia is now part of the Asian Confederation and as one of the more developed members, therefore highly credentialed to host an Asian Cup now _ if anything, it should be our responsibility to do so eventually.

Now that we have joined the Asian league, it will come around (though maybe not as soon as we would like). I agree, because we are not culturally (and almost geographically) not part of Asia does weaken our chances though if the Asian football federations is anything like the IOC, we could see a Cup in Australia just purely for the economic bounty to be had. With ATLEAST 6 venues available, all infrastructure in place and a strong backing there is a quick dollar to be made from an Australian Asian Cup.

Though like mentioned, it’s the mentality of the Asian Federation. Counties ie; Maylasia aren’t just going to stand down and let Australia take the reigns, being such a newcomer, an uncertainty, and culturally not part of the heritage.

Qualifying for more World Cups, expanding the A-League and seeing more success at world club level could see the Cup come to Australia.

Although speaking of club level, could Australia be a possible candidate for the FIFA World Club Championship? Maybe a bid between Sydney and Melbourne with the final in Sydney could be an option. That or New Zealand.

Although speaking of club level, could Australia be a possible candidate for the FIFA World Club Championship? Maybe a bid between Sydney and Melbourne with the final in Sydney could be an option. That or New Zealand.

Both cities could probably host the World Club Championship on their own.

Both cities could probably host the World Club Championship on their own.

Given the time of the year the World Club Championship needs to be held, yes, hosting it solo could be possible. Any other time, maybe not due to the rugby and AFL season.

Sydney would have Telstra Stadium (82,000) for the final Aussie Stadium (42,000) for the prelims and if they need, some other smaller stadiums in the suburbs that are used for rubgy.

Melbourne would have the MCG (102,000) for the final, Telstra (52,000) for the prelims and maybe the developed Olympic Park Stadium (20,000) for other matches if needed.

Brisbane may be another option.

a few cultural notes on Asia

There are Arabs, Persians, Monguls, Huns, and whatever the islanders are in southern Asia has the basic ethnic groups, than the Huns, Monguls and the southern Asians are again divided up further into linguistic and cultural backgrouns, the Huns alone are divided into the Madrians, Cantonese, the Koreans and Japanese as the base for all four and the Monguls are responsible for all of central Asia if i am not mistaken. So its not like Asia is homogenious in anyway culturally, ethniclly, linguisticly, or religiously

and fock Malaysia - weakest tiger

btw i am not sure if its Han Chinese or Hun Chinese so forgive me

Hasn't Brisbane only got the Suncorp?

Well, in terms of rectangular pitches, yes thats preety much all it has. Though keeping in mind Telstra Dome, Telstra Stadium and the MCG are ovals too (not so much Telstra Stadium).

Brisbane also has the GABBA Ground (38,000) and ANZ Stadium (which is used for athletics), though i think its just been renamed to Bank Of Queensland Stadium.

From tomorrow the 1st January 2006 onwards Australia will officially become part of and a member of the Asian Football/Soccer Confederation.

Though Australia is a Western nation and is culturally and ethnically different from Asia, I feel that DOES NOT mean it does not have a right to host the Asian Soccer Cup. They will become a member of the Asian Soccer Confederation and as such they have EVERY RIGHT to bid to host events organised by that organisation.

To give a good example, if an ethnic Asian becomes an Australian citizen around adult age having been a citizen of an Asian country previously, does it mean that person cannot stand in Federal Elections to gain a seat in the Australian parliament? Of course not! That person might be ethnically Asian but has every right to vote in and stand for Australian elections as an Australian citizen.

In another example, a Westerner/Anglo Saxon becomes a Singapore citizen. Does that mean she/he cannot stand for Singapore parliamentary elections? Of course not! She/He can stand for elections (provided the relevant conditions are met) which as a citizen she/he has every right to.

And do not bother too much about Malaysia's comments on the recent East Asian summit. That is just Dr. Mahathir doing his ranting. Typical of him.

For crying out loud, even Malaysia's tiny neighbour of Singapore is not afraid of Malaysia and dares to stand up to them, and big giant Australia is bothered?   :wink: (please do not take offence people, just my opinion!)

Malaysia's comments might not be representative of Asia's as a whole. I am a citizen of and live in an Asian country and am ethnically Asian and speaking for myself I more than welcome Australia into the Asian Soccer Family and if I were the president of the Asian Olympic Council, would be more than glad to welcome Australia into the Asian Games as well. Asia should be more open and accepting and more broad minded. Do not be so narrow minded as to shun Australia cos they are culturally and ehtnically Western and different to Asians.

One last thing, Asia itself is not ethnically and culturally homogeneous, from the vast sands of the Middle East to the shores of Japan, it contains so many different races and cultures and different peoples and encompasses so many ethnic groups, leaving Australia out because of race, culture and ethnic difference hardly seems an excuse.

Feel free to reply in any sensible way and manner.

Archived