Massive Torch Protest In Toronto

i can't believe a protester was kncoked to the ground during the relay in Guelph, Ont. The protester has been charged and the runner was able to finish her route. RCMP is reviewing security policy because of this incident.

Well, they were blocking the road and i don't think the constitution quite includes that. If they were off to the side and doing their thing, sure go ahead.

That's how it is in our Constitution in the US. Your assembley cannot obstruct the flow of traffic.

I don't quite understand. Why are they protesting? Canada is one of the best countries in the world to live in (#4 HDI.) Sure, Canada must have some problems (all countries do) but I just don't see what's so bad these people feel they have to disrupt one of the country's proud moments. Perhaps they got too many wild ideas from the Beijing torch protests? I don't in any way condone those either, but it would make more sense to protest China with all the human rights violations and media censorship. Canada is like infinitely better though! I mean, they have clean air, thousands of acres of unspoiled natural beauty, same-sex marraige/equal rights for gays, freedom of speech & religion, and health care for every citizen.

It just boggles my mind why some people still feel the need to stage aggressive protests.

Most of it comes out of misinformation about the Olympics (a lot of which steams from Montreal, even though Calgary was a complete success), so there is a fringe group that is angry about the use of money on a sporting event. They claim its only for the elite (I mean the ticket prices aren't cheap, but they are fairly standard for Canada) and has caused all the social ills in BC and Canada (child poverty, aboriginal issues, homelessness etc.). There is also this, 'no games on stolen native land' mantra that a lot of them us. There is also people that take issue with the copyright protection measures that must be taken, and the overall commercialization of the games. Though this is kinda ironic, since the commercial interests of the games lower the costs, in the range of a billion dollars.

In the end it is all sorts of fringe groups that latch all sorts of issues that in reality have nothing to do with the Olympics.

I mean its not an uncommon phenomenon; I remember protests for Nagano, Sydney, Athens and Torino as well.

Edited by Faster

Yep, I understand where you're coming from Roux. The issue here though isn't the protests per se but their methods. I think we all said during the Chinese relay that we don't mind seeing/hearing protests so long as they don't impinge upon the freedom of others (in this case, the torchbearer). Even though the reason for the Vancouver protests seems a lot flimsier than protesting China's human rights, it'd be a little hypocritical to condemn the protesters for protesting here. But tackling a torchbearer steps way, way over the line of what is acceptable. As does vandalising Olympic monuments and all the other sh1t VANOC and Canada has had to put up with from some of these nutters.

I don't know yet whether London 2012 will see protests along its domestic route. I'd be very surprised if there were none, but no one issue seems to have galvanised anti-Games groups yet (if any of these groups truly exist in this country...yet).

Yep, I understand where you're coming from Roux. The issue here though isn't the protests per se but their methods. I think we all said during the Chinese relay that we don't mind seeing/hearing protests so long as they don't impinge upon the freedom of others (in this case, the torchbearer). Even though the reason for the Vancouver protests seems a lot flimsier than protesting China's human rights, it'd be a little hypocritical to condemn the protesters for protesting here. But tackling a torchbearer steps way, way over the line of what is acceptable. As does vandalising Olympic monuments and all the other sh1t VANOC and Canada has had to put up with from some of these nutters.

I don't know yet whether London 2012 will see protests along its domestic route. I'd be very surprised if there were none, but no one issue seems to have galvanised anti-Games groups yet (if any of these groups truly exist in this country...yet).

It honestly wasn't until 2008 that they even started getting organized and vocal. Everything was going along swimmingly until after Beijing and I think the Beijing protests emboldened them to be more aggressive.

It honestly wasn't until 2008 that they even started getting organized and vocal. Everything was going along swimmingly until after Beijing and I think the Beijing protests emboldened them to be more aggressive.
maybe after what happend in Ontario the RCMP will be more aggresive and apprehend them

maybe after what happend in Ontario the RCMP will be more aggresive and apprehend them

Well the protester was arrested and charges laid, but the general policy is to avoid conflict: the RCMP see any conflict that would make them look bad as a victory for the protesters, right now it looks like the protesters are the unreasonable nutjobs, not the organizers.