Massive Torch Protest In Toronto

Over a thousand people are blocking the relay in downtown Toronto. It has stalled the torch at Yonge and Bloor. Protesters are around Yonge and College from what I last heard.

Livecam here : http://www.ctvolympics.ca/torch/follow-torch/index.html

Edited by memorabilia

The answer is to give them absolutely no media coverage, just like the streaker at football games, turn the cameras away. These yahoos thrive on attention ... don't give them any. Ignore them. They are continuing to do an excellent job of discrediting themselves.

Maybe so - but the constitution is the constitution. You cant amend it because some protesters disagree with you.

The constitution generally allow you to protest... but under conditions... you are free to protest but you should not disturb the others.

In philosophy, we call that Civil Freedrom : "our freedom depends entirely on the freedom of others, and that their freedom depends on ours".

The constitution generally allow you to protest... but under conditions... you are free to protest but you should not disturb the others.

In philosophy, we call that Civil Freedrom : "our freedom depends entirely on the freedom of others, and that their freedom depends on ours".

There is a say, your rights end when they reach someone's nose.

They were peaceful, non-violent, whoa-fully misguided and ignorant. It is a case of white folks trying to over-compensate for what they see is wrong. I didn't notice (if any) aboriginal people within the protest. There will be more protests, there will likely be a very nasty one on the 21st and again on the 27th, and I am sure when it passes through London and between the 22 and 24 there will be a lot of protests.

They are just trying to latch every social ill in this country to the occurrence of the Olympics. Complaining that they are commercialized while complaining that they are expensive, I mean what is so hard with making the connection of higher sponsorship = more money = less money from government sources. But I digress, many of you seem completely blinded by the Olympic glamour and the protests are blinded by their own feelings of guilt over things they had nothing to do with. Honestly thinking we should honour a treaty we weren't party to, over 200 years before we became a nation. Insanity on all parts. Thankfully the police in Toronto, Montreal and Victoria have been commendable in their handling of these issues and hopefully the police in Brantford, Waterloo Region and London show the same level headedness and don't overreact and create a media circus that will make international news.

Buddha say, 'extreme leads you away from the path of enlightenment, only the path between two points makes ones journey to freedom truly enlightened'

As long as they don't destroy any property or threaten (or commit) violence against others, they've the right to protest. The eejits who tossed the marbles under the horses' hooves in Victoria should've been arrested though.

I jut hope they dont make a big fuzz like some people did on Beijing 2008 relay (specially at London and San Francisco). Which scares me is that the worst part will be when the torch arrives to Vancouver, where i expect there's going to be even worst protests than the ones in Toronto or Victoria.

I jut hope they dont make a big fuzz like some people did on Beijing 2008 relay (specially at London and San Francisco). Which scares me is that the worst part will be when the torch arrives to Vancouver, where i expect there's going to be even worst protests than the ones in Toronto or Victoria.

I'm pretty sure the UBC portion of the torch relay in Vancouver will be APEC riot-like....the student activists and hippies are absolutely crazy here.