Beijing 2008

Sir Rols

• 4 weeks later...
  • Replies 87
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Anybody interested in buying these? Notice unlike the original version that this BOCOG Special Collector's Edition of the Opening Ceremony is 2 discs. The description of it does not mention any differences. I wonder what exactly is different from the previous version. Does the second disc hold the additional special features not in the original? The Closing is still just one disc. Too bad there's still yet no Blu-Ray version.

Beijing BOGOC 2008 Olympic Ceremonies DVDs

• 6 months later...

Rio 2016 set up a bad omen: The marathon winner at Beijing 2008 Summer Olympics, Samuel Wanjiru, committed suicide when he fell from a balcony because of a domestic dispute.

I've seen some pretty bizarre posts from you but WTF!!! What's Rio got to do with a beijing marathon winner falling of a balcony in Kenya. You're not SERIOUSLY gonna try and pin that on the Maracana????!!!

I'll pin that on the Sambodromo, seeing as the Marathon will finished there and not at the Engenhao Stadium. Curses are bad.

Exactly, just like you're cursed to make idiotic posts about your obsessions with trivial matters you have no power to change anyway.

The posts were not idiotic. i am sad now because of the marathon winner's death. But I don't like the way you act when you respond to the posts.

I wouldn't respond the way I do if your posts showed a spark of intelligence rather than an indication of moronic obsessive-compulsion. And really, drawing such a long bow between the accidental death of an athlete in Kenya and a Rio games five years away is a pretty new low for you in those stakes. But what can one expect - a quick Google of Jim856796 shows you seem to have similar issues on every forum that has the misfortune to attract your participation. Sheesh - you need a much older, or much younger, wife to give you something better to do!

Psychiatrist, I don't like it when the word "seem" is used against me, especially intentionally; it does nothing but get on my nerves. You could have used a better synonym.

What about you appear to be obsessive-compulsive.

Anyway, what makes you sure it's the curse of the Sambodromo, and NOT the curse of Aston-Villa?

It's the curse of Maracana, which it the stadium that will devalue the status of "Olympic Main Stadium" if it hosts the ceremonies instead of Engenhao.

The Maracana sure won't devalue the 2016 Games as much as your ridiculously obsessive posts seem to devalue your sanity and reputation.

You're still using it. I mean it, sir, stop your use of the awful word or I will lie around Copacabana Beach for 12 straight hours.

That seems like not a bad idea - maybe the sunstroke will reboot your higher brain functions.

"Looks"--not seems--"Looks".

And did I notice that a several-lane boulevard in Beijing's Olympic Green have been converted into green space (its a east-west road). And on Google imagery, I have noticed that several temporary venues (such as the hockey field and the beach volleyball ground) are still standing now after the Olympics have ended?

Well, I suppose bland and innocuous comments seem to be better than your usual fevered obsessive rants, Jim.

Anyway, interesting tidbit I just found. Seems to be from Zimbabwe, but it's quoting Huffington Post as a source:

China’s plan to ban blacks at Olympics

China planned to ban black people from privileged bar sections of the Olympic premises in 2008, reports show.

According to reports from Huffingtonpost.com, Beijing Boyce, and Hong Kong’s English newspaper The South China Morning Post reported a few weeks before the games that Chinese authorities issued a secret ban on blacks, Mongolians, and other ‘social undesirable’ from local Beijing bars during the Olympic games.

Beijing authorities secretly planned to ban black people and others it considered social undesirables from entering the city’s bars during the Olympic Games, a move that would contradict the official slogan, “One World, One Dream”.

Bar owners near the Workers’ Stadium in central Beijing said they were forced by Public Security Bureau officials to sign pledges agreeing not to let black people enter their premises.

Olympics2008_270x204Security officials were targeting Sanlitun, which Olympic organisers expected to be a key destination for foreign tourists looking for a party during the Games.

The pledges that Sanlitun bar owners had been instructed to sign agreed to stop a variety of activities in their establishments, including dancing and serving customers with black skin, they said, according to reports.

However, the Beijing Boyce posted updates on the story stating:

* An owner said police met with Sanlitun bar reps and told them to monitor black patrons. He said the police told the reps that drug dealers are predominantly black in the area. He said the police did not ask bar owners to ban blacks.

* Several Sanlitun area bar owners said they had not been told by police to ban blacks or Mongolians.

* I also spoke to several people in the restaurant business and they told me they have not heard of police telling city eateries to ban people.

* Most interesting, two people working at one bar had different perspectives on the terminology used by the police. One said the police used “black” in reference to skin color; while the other said it was used in terms of bad elements (the Chinese character for “black” is part of a phrase used to describe criminals). ( Source: Huffington Post/ Beijing Boyce/ [Agencies) PIC - The Olympics stadium in Beijing]

ZimEye

Stop using the god-awful word seems, it's going to traumatise me, and I can't be strong enough to fight intentional bullying in discussion forums. From now on use the word appears instead. What part of "STOP" do you understand? I could put you on my ignore list for this intentional behavior.

Stop using the god-awful word seems, it's going to traumatise me, and I can't be strong enough to fight intentional bullying in discussion forums. From now on use the word appears instead. What part of "STOP" do you understand? I could put you on my ignore list for this intentional behavior.

Fine, as long as you STOP your moronic campaign against the Maracana.

i'm not against the Maracana. It had have a very advanced-looking design for the time it was built (1950). After its grand transformation, it will host more football matches for year to come, including those for the 2014 WC and the 2016 Olympics. But the Joao Havelange needs to host the Opening and Closing Ceremonies of the Olympics instead of Maracana.

Why? It's the real Olympic Stadium and the real Olympic Stadium needs the ceremonies. End of discussion.

No it doesn't NEED to be. It might just be nice for people who can't handle anything out of the routine - like you. Most normal people would have NO problem. End of discussion.

Archived