Euro 2016

emre

You remember when Leicester beat Man City & everyone stood up & thought 'they're actually doing this aren't they'. That was this game. Wales might do this. Wales can do this. On the evidence of the championship so far, they should beat Portugal & the final is its own thing, anything can happen in the final. That cup might yet cross the Channel.

Germany has never won versus Italy at an European Championships and World Championships so far - but Germany just won in a penalty shoot out...

EURO 2016 - Quarter Finals - 6:5 (after penalty shoot out) - 1:1 (after extension)

WC 1962 - Group Stage - 0:0
WC 1970 - Semi Final - 3:4 (after extension)
WC 1978 - Group Stage - 0:0
WC 1982 - Final - 1:4
EURO 1988 - Group Stage - 1:1
EURO 1996 - Group Stage - 0:0
WC 2006 - Semi Final - 0:2 (after extension)
EURO 2012 - Semi Final - 1:2

I'm totally exhausted, just by watching. :D As ever so often when Germany plays against Italy at a major tournament, it was an extremely exciting match - exciting up to the point of "horrifying". :D I sure thought several times during the match (and especially the unusually bad penalty shoot-out performance by Müller, Özil and Schweinsteiger) that we are on the brink of losing against Italy yet again. But oh, how sweet is the victory especially after such a stressful match. Germany sure deserved to win, Italy had some great scoring opportunities, but somehow they were only a shadow of their former self. I guess that the loss of De Rossi hurt them significantly.

That said, it hurts a lot to see that Hummels won't be able to play the semifinal. And regardless whether we will have to play it against France or Iceland, we sure need a strong defence there. So I cross my fingers for Thursday already now...

^^ A hilarious penalty shootout.

Some bloody awful pens. Great entertainment though, as a neutral :lol:

Those were bloody awful indeed. Didn't you think sometimes, "Is that still Team Germany in that penalty shoot-out - or Team England"? ;)

• Like 1

^^ A hilarious penalty shootout.

Some bloody awful pens. Great entertainment though, as a neutral :lol:

... and when you imagine that Jonas Hector (the guy, who scored the winning penalty) played his first 1st Bundesliga match in 2014 and became in the same year player in the Mannschaft also - he had never shot a penalty in a professional match before...

Edited by Citius Altius Fortius

I feel very bad for Iceland, being pummeled against the ground by France pretty much right now. But they should feel proud for having went so far on this tournament and I'm sure they will get better on the next years.

If anything, this makes the England defeat last week even more humilliating and embarassing.

• Like 1

I think Iceland simply had used up the luck it needed (besides their undoubted talent to play football) to get that far in the tournament. While I was hoping for yet another "Icelandic sensation", tonight's match showed clearly that also their power and abilities are limited as soon as they meet a courageous top-class team like the French which manages to score early and get a good psychological momentum which carries them through the match.

In any case, I look forward to yet another classic football duel next Thursday: Germany vs. France. It will be yet another tough match for Germany, especially now that Gómez and Hummels definitely can't play the semifinal (Gómez due to a muscle injury which finishes his whole tournament altogether, Hummels due to his yellow card against Italy) and it is unsure whether injured Schweinsteiger and Khedira can play. But, the comforting thing is: For France, it will be a difficult match, too. Bring it on!

Thursday should be an all-time great semi-final (watch it be 0-0 :lol:). Seems a bit silly that you've got that in one semi & Portugal-Wales in the other - but that's the glory of tournament football. As for today, Iceland deserve every plaudit they'll get but I think we've just seen the champions. It's like France have turned up :P

Well this is exciting (and unexpected)! Pronostics for this final? I do feel that France stands a chance against Portugal, but after seeing Italy beat Spain, Germany beat Italy, France beat Germany, I wouldn't be surprised to see Portugal beat France.

I guess i'll root for Portugal, then. Now it's time to see CR7 speciality at finals: Dissapearing. :lol:

Feel bad for Germany, but after seeing how they suffered to beat Italy and how France defeated Iceland easily, I somewhat saw this comming.

"Football is a simple game. Twenty-two men chase a ball for 90 minutes and at the end, the French win."

:lol: :lol: :lol:

Not quite yet. ;)

Germany delivered a great game in the first halftime, but they were very ineffective in their scoring opportunities yet again. And this is what easily makes a difference against a top team like France. And the handball by Schweinsteiger, just one match after Boateng's stupid handball against Italy (which almost cost us victory as well) is just unbelievably bad luck/karma/whatever. This was where fate turned against Germany and towards France. They gained more confidence and one must say that their defence did a much better job than in their previous EURO matches.

So all in all, while Germany's defeat was really unnecessary, France's victory is well deserved, and I sure will root for them in the final. Portugal delivered only one decent match in this tournament, namely against Wales - this is simply not enough in my view to deserve the title of European Champion. France, on the other hand, has somewhat a golden generation - their time is now, and I expect even a rather convincing victory of them on Sunday. Allez les bleus!

• Like 1

I wouldn't say that Löw made coaching mistakes. As a matter of fact, he made very good tactical decisions throughout this tournament. But if major players go missing due to yellow cards and injuries and the replacement players (especially in the offence) are only a mere shadow of their former selves, what can he do? I think, Löw did the best job of his entire tenure as Germany's head coach, besides (of course) his job at the 2014 World Cup.

It's insane when you think that France hadn't beaten Germany in an official competition since 1958!

I do hope that France wins this Euro. We were not the best team, that's for sure. But since we managed somehow to make it to the final....It would be great timing: Summer has finally arrived here in Paris, we're hosting, and most importantly, it would do some real good to the French people, after the terrible year we had last year. And who knows, it might even help a little bit the Paris 2024 bid! ;)

I wouldn't say that Löw made coaching mistakes. As a matter of fact, he made very good tactical decisions throughout this tournament. But if major players go missing due to yellow cards and injuries and the replacement players (especially in the offence) are only a mere shadow of their former selves, what can he do? I think, Löw did the best job of his entire tenure as Germany's head coach, besides (of course) his job at the 2014 World Cup.

I just don't understand why he is so reluctant to use Schurrle. But ya injuries to Reus, Khedira, Gomez, Schweinsteiger et all didn't help either.

I just don't understand why he is so reluctant to use Schurrle. But ya injuries to Reus, Khedira, Gomez, Schweinsteiger et all didn't help either.

Well, Schürrle played three times in the course of this tournament - and each time, he did not convince at all. Just like Götze and even Müller, Schürrle is currently only a shadow of his former self. So Löw gave him a chance more than once, Schürrle failed to deliver, and that's why one surely can't blame Löw for not using him anymore during the rest of tournament.