Euro 2016

emre

Not bad, although I prefer Brandia Central previous work with the 2012 logo, which was much better IMO. I guess they prefered to avoid the obvious by using a famous landmark and opted for the cup itself instead.

Still, much better than London and Pyeongchang logos combined :lol:

1966143_w2.jpg

UEFA EURO 2016 logo

This is not a logo .. it is a composition of a lot of things..

It doesn't stand out as a logo .. But the WC 2014 Logo stands out as a logo as '1 whole'-perception..

This is not ugly, nor it is handsome.. this is cheap and mediocre!! for a country like spain..

Look .. this is what I had designed when Turkey was also candidate for the euro2016

I draw this for a competition that I've had run a few years ago on a/another Turkish forum for a fantasy competition..

don't want to say that it is good or superb .. but it is handsome and stands out as a '1-whole-logo' perception..

k_fatih_civelek_EURO_2016_LOGO_TURKEY_99

source: http://wowturkey.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=91830

update: ooops .. for a country like france i meant..

Try putting it on a background that isn't blue might help it stand out more!

euro-2016-logo-04.jpg

Quite like it as far as it goes, very smart (especially as my Paris 2024 logo was based on French abstract art as well)! And I love the video posted on the previous page, really nice.

But seems It could be quite inflexible in terms of its application (will it work on different colour backgrounds, at smaller sizes, monochrome?)

And another question, is this the "template" for Euro logos now, just as FIFA has its cornered square?

Edited by RobH

UEFA EURO 2016 logo unveiled
Published: Wednesday 26 June 2013, 12.30CET
The UEFA EURO 2016 logo was launched in Paris, drawing together the Henri Delaunay Cup and the national colours of hosts France around the theme 'Celebrating the art of football'.
1966143_w2.jpg

UEFA EURO 2016 logo

I like it. It's simple, clear, uncluttered. Quite French; and even conveys a little 'come hither' quality. And the idea that the trophy seems to be whistling is QUITE clever. Le bon travail, France!

• 2 months later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

Gibraltar set for debut

The Gibraltar FA's executive director says the Euro 2016 qualifying draw feels like "a Christmas raffle" as the territory prepares for its senior international debut.

Gibraltar - which has a population of fewer than 30,000 people - will take on Slovakia in a friendly in Portugal on Tuesday.

The tiny British Overseas Territory, which borders Spain, officially became a member of UEFA in May after overcoming years of opposition from Spanish authorities and others who had argued against a precedent being set.

Dennis Beiso, executive director of the Gibraltar FA, said he was proud to have brought the team into the international fold.

"It has been a very long and hard process, which began in 1997," Beiso said. "In the end, after two votes and three appeals to the Court of Arbitration for Sport, we have done it."

UEFA's 54th member will now be in February's draw for the next European Championship, and they have already fielded teams in under-17 and under-19 qualifying games. Beiso said he hoped they would get England in their first set of qualifiers for a senior tournament.

"For us it is like a Christmas raffle," he said. "We can only imagine we could be playing at Wembley someday - it gives me goosebumps."

Gibraltar will reportedly be kept away from Spain in the Euro 2016 draw for political reasons, but Beiso said football links with the neighbours were cordial.

"We have good relations with the Spanish FA," he said. "[RFEF president] Angel Maria Villar was one of the first to congratulate us, but we understand that political matters have an influence."

All but four members of Gibraltar's squad for Tuesday's game at the Estadio Algarve in Faro play in the local amateur league. Their most high-profile player is former Manchester United and Stoke defender Danny Higginbotham, now at Chester City, who is a nephew of manager Allen Bula.

Bula, who spent four years as head of football development and academy manager at Slovakian club MFK Kosice, told Marca his team had high hopes, including qualifying for senior international tournaments.

"I always set myself ambitious goals," the Gibraltar native said. "I am not the typical coach with a small country who is happy with losing and getting congratulated for making a good impression.

"Many people might laugh, but my objective is to make it to tournaments, starting with this European Championship, and for Gibraltar to rise in the world ranking to No. 45."

Read more at http://www.espn.co.uk/football/sport/story/258935.html#qGJHHQ9t6GHObIMW.99

• 3 weeks later...

Michel Platini open to goal-line technology at Euro 2016

UEFA president Michel Platini says he is considering the use of goal-line technology during the 2016 European Championship finals in France.

Platini has previously refused to back the use of the technology in football, citing cost and efficiency as two of the chief reasons for his negative stance.

But with FIFA having decided to utilise a goal-line system at the 2014 World Cup in Brazil, Platini admits he may have to reconsider his position.

He insisted, however, that any system would be used in conjunction with having an extra assistant referee by each goal.

"In the World Cup they are going to use goal-line technology," he told Spanish daily AS. "So I am asking myself if goal-line technology should be introduced at Euro 2016, but together with the five officials per game.

"That would allow those officials in the penalty area to focus on the plays in their part of the pitch, on the penalties, the corners, and we would all come out winning.

"Goal-line technology has been accepted by the International Board and I'm obliged to think about it."

Platini, 58, rejected suggestions that his age played any part in his initial rejection of goal-line technology, stating that FIFA president Sepp Blatter was also opposed to its use until England's Frank Lampard had a goal wrongly ruled out against Germany at the 2010 World Cup.

"It is not a question of age. Blatter is older than me and, after having been against technology for many years, he has suddenly decided to be in favour," said Platini.

"I was against the introduction of technology but now that it is there, let's see."

http://www1.skysports.com/football/news/12040/9055555/michel-platini-open-to-goal-line-technology-at-euro-2016

• 2 weeks later...

UEFA EURO 2016 regulations published

The UEFA EURO 2016 regulations have been published, mapping out the road from the qualifying draw in Nice in February to the final in Paris on 10 July 2016.

The regulations of the UEFA European Football Championship, 2014–16 competition, have been published on UEFA.com after being approved by the UEFA Executive Committee at its December meeting in Bilbao, Spain.

As hosts, France qualify automatically for the first 24-team final tournament – to be played from 10 June–10 July 2016 – leaving a record field of 53 nations to be drawn into groups of five and six teams when the qualifying draw takes place in Nice on 23 February 2014.

Sides will be seeded for the qualifying draw according to the UEFA national team coefficient rankings, which will be announced along with the draw procedure and final tournament match schedule after the 23/24 January Executive Committee meeting in Nyon.

It is not only the number of places up for grabs that has changed for UEFA EURO 2016; the qualifying schedule has been amended to ensure that fans will have the chance to watch more matches live than ever before on the road to France.

The new 'Week of Football' concept will see games played from Thursday to Tuesday. Kick-off times will be set mainly at 18.00CET and 20.45CET on Saturdays and Sundays and 20.45CET for Thursdays, Fridays, Mondays and Tuesdays. On double-header matchweeks, teams will play on Thursday/Sunday, Friday/Monday or Saturday/Tuesday.

"The fact we spread the European Qualifiers over several days as opposed to all teams playing on the same day will ensure a better visibility for the competition," UEFA General Secretary Gianni Infantino said. "Each day of the 'Week of Football' will have eight to ten matches as opposed to 20–30 matches on the same day."

European Qualifiers match dates

MD1: 7/8/9 September 2014

MD2: 9/10/11 October 2014

MD3: 12/13/14 October 2014

MD4: 14/15/16 November 2014

MD5: 27/28/29 March 2015

MD6: 12/13/14 June 2015

MD7: 3/4/5 September 2015

MD8: 6/7/8 September 2015

MD9: 8/9/10 October 2015

MD10: 11/12/13 October 2015

The nine group winners, the nine group runners-up and the best third-placed side will qualify directly for the final tournament. The eight remaining third-placed teams will contest play-offs to determine the last four qualifiers for the finals.

Play-off match dates

First legs: 12/13/14 November 2015

Second legs: 15/16/17 November 2015

The draw for the final tournament will be held in Paris on 12 December 2015. The format for the finals, which will feature six groups of four teams, can be found in the regulations.

UEFA

• Like 1

• 1 month later...

I'm a bit surprised that they moved the qualifiers draw to February 23. Originally it was scheduled for March 9, and that was actually the wiser decision in my opinion, because February 23 is the last day of the Sochi Games. So the main interest of the world of sports (and of the media) will still be focussed on the Olympics. I doubt that those are the best circumstances for creating big publicity for one's own EURO qualifiers draw. But hey, UEFA makes the decisions, not me! ;)

• 3 weeks later...

Good news for the preporations for UEFA Euro 2016 France, coming from the Stade Velodrome, Marseille renovation. Concrete works completed, just the Main Stand Roof needed to be done - full story here - http://stadiumdb.com/news/2014/02/marseille_velodrome_revamp_nearing_completion

• 2 weeks later...

EURO qualifying draw – what you need to know
European Qualifying has been revamped for UEFA EURO 2016 so before Sunday's draw in Nice, starting at 12.00CET, UEFA.com gives you the lowdown.

The increased entry is among a host of initiatives for the European Qualifiers, and so you know what to expect here is a brief guide.

How does qualifying work?

The European Qualifiers are made up of eight groups of six teams and one of five teams, who contest home and away fixtures. The nine group winners, the nine group runners-up and the best third-placed side will qualify directly for the final tournament. The eight remaining third-placed teams will contest play-offs to determine the last four qualifiers for the 24-nation finals.

What is the Week of Football?

For the first time, qualifying takes place under the new Week of Football concept, which sees games played from Thursday to Tuesday. Kick-off times will be set mainly at 18.00CET and 20.45CET on Saturdays and Sundays and at 20.45CET for Thursdays, Fridays, Mondays and Tuesdays. On double-header matchweeks, teams will play on Thursday/Sunday, Friday/Monday or Saturday/Tuesday. Each day will have eight to ten matches. The game dates can be found here.

How are France involved?

France are assured of their place in the final tournament, but will play centralised friendlies in accordance with the Week of Football match schedule against teams from the five-team qualifying group. There will be no points awarded for games in which France figure, so these will have no affect on the Group I table.

What are the pots?

The competing countries, including debutants Gibraltar, have been divided into seeding pots based on their UEFA national team coefficients, which take into account results from qualifying and the final tournament of both the 2010 FIFA World Cup and UEFA EURO 2012, and 2014 World Cup qualifying.

Pot 1: Spain (holders), Germany, Netherlands, Italy, England, Portugal, Greece, Russia, Bosnia and Herzegovina

Pot 2: Ukraine, Croatia, Sweden, Denmark, Switzerland, Belgium, Czech Republic, Hungary, Republic of Ireland

Pot 3: Serbia, Turkey, Slovenia, Israel, Norway, Slovakia, Romania, Austria, Poland

Pot 4: Montenegro, Armenia, Scotland, Finland, Latvia, Wales, Bulgaria, Estonia, Belarus

Pot 5: Iceland, Northern Ireland, Albania, Lithuania, Moldova, Former Yugoslav Republic of Macedonia, Azerbaijan, Georgia, Cyprus

Pot 6: Luxembourg, Kazakhstan, Liechtenstein, Faroe Islands, Malta, Andorra, San Marino, Gibraltar

Any restrictions?

For political reasons the UEFA Executive Committee has ruled that Azerbaijan cannot meet Armenia, and Spain cannot play Gibraltar. For television rights reasons, England, Germany, Italy, Spain and the Netherlands must be in six-team sections.

Who is doing the draw?

EURO winners Ruud Gullit and Bixente Lizarazu will join UEFA General Secretary Gianni Infantino and 13 of Europe's goalkeeping greats on stage for the draw. France's UEFA European Championship winning keeper in 2000, Fabien Barthez, will bring on the Henri Delaunay Cup, while five more EURO winners – Ivo Viktor (Czechoslovakia, 1976), Andreas Köpke (Germany, 1996), Antonis Nikopolidis (Greece, 2004), Dino Zoff (Italy, 1968) and Peter Schmeichel (Denmark, 1992) – are among the participants.

Where can I watch it?

Right here. We will have all the build-up from across Europe before the draw is streamed live on UEFA.com from 12.00CET, followed by all the reaction from Nice and beyond.

UEFA

• Like 1

Draw about to start for the quali groups.

53 teams will enter the qualifying draw and 24 will take part at Euro 2016, an increase from 16 previously. Each nation has been put into one of six pots depending on their Uefa coefficient ranking and, from these, eight groups of six will be drawn and one group of five. Simples?

-------------

Who is in which pot then?

Pot 1: Spain, Germany, Netherlands, Italy, England, Portugal, Greece, Russia, Bosnia-Hercegovina.

Pot 2: Ukraine, Croatia, Sweden, Denmark, Switzerland, Belgium, Czech Republic, Hungary, Republic of Ireland.

Pot 3: Serbia, Turkey, Slovenia, Israel, Norway, Slovakia, Romania, Austria, Poland.

Pot 4: Montenegro, Armenia, Scotland, Finland, Latvia, Wales, Bulgaria, Estonia, Belarus.

Pot 5: Iceland, Northern Ireland, Albania, Lithuania, Moldova, FYR Macedonia, Azerbaijan, Georgia, Cyprus.

Pot 6: Luxembourg, Kazakhstan, Liechtenstein, Faroe Islands, Malta, Andorra, San Marino, Gibraltar.

-------------

All making sense so far? I hope so, because there are a couple of other little things to let you know about. Perhaps the most surprising is that France will also take part in qualifying, the first hosts to do so after a rule change, although no qualifying points will rest on their fixtures. They will play in the finals whatever the outcome of their games.

Explaining the recent rule change, Uefa president Michel Platini said it was brought in because the hosts, who are normally exempt from qualifying, have found it hard to arrange friendlies in the past.

You might have heard a little bit about Gibraltar's national football team in recent months, and that's because they will be entering qualification for the first time since being accepted as a Uefa member last year. They could draw England but they will be kept apart from neighbours Spain to avoid exacerbating political tensions.

Azerbaijan and Armenia will also be kept apart for the same reason, but Russia and Georgia, who do not share diplomatic ties following conflict between the two former Soviet republics in 2008, have agreed to play each other if drawn in the same pot.

Complex enough?!

Edited by Rob.