Euro 2016

emre

Things that haven't happend in a long time in an official competition: Italy beating Spain, Germany beating Italy, France beating Germany, and Portugal beating France. You may have not liked this Euro, but one thing is for sure, nothing happened like expected! And that is exactly why I'll say that... I LOVED this Euro! Well done Portugal on winning this one!

:) Im so happy!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

This is insane!!!

Good goal, but to win this Portugal out Greeced Greece without the underdog factor. Urgh.

Bring on the Olympics.

We are the champions!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

SIMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMM!!!!!!!

All the portuguese diaspora in my neighbourhood, no big surprise, celebrating like mad. I hope they have fun. :lol:

This is so cool!!!! People here in Lisbon are crazy!!!

SIMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMM!!! :wub:

Yeah, wanted France. But I'm pleased for Portugal - 50 years of being the nearly-men, you got a reward at last. Always nice to see a new name on an international cup :)

This means so much.......so much..... I can´t believe yet... :D:D:D:D

Congratulations to Portugal.

All in all, the tournament was awful. Only surprise packages like Wales and Iceland kept it from being a total bore. Many refer to Italia 90 as the point where the World Cup hit its low point in terms of excitement, this tournament didn't even approach that. I suppose a 23 month sabbatical from football is in order, but if I feel this way during Russia 2018, I will know I have fallen out of love with the sport.

• Like 1

There will always be some boring tournaments and some more exciting ones. I remember many didn't liked 2010 WC either back in the day. Let's wait and see for the Confederations Cup and World Cup.

From the official FIFA twitter account, congratulations message to Portugal which also qualifies to next year Confederations Cup

CnCLzgdUcAAe33j.jpg

Things that haven't happend in a long time in an official competition: Italy beating Spain, Germany beating Italy, France beating Germany, and Portugal beating France. You may have not liked this Euro, but one thing is for sure, nothing happened like expected! And that is exactly why I'll say that... I LOVED this Euro! Well done Portugal on winning this one!

Once it settled in, this became a very loveable Euro (well done also to Iceland and Wales- and to every team which helped hasten the exits of English and Russian fans).

I must say that even two days in hindsight, the final and its result are pretty disappointing. But this tournament which offered a lot of tactical, minimalistic and defensive football probably got the only suitable champion, a tactical, minimalistic and defensive team like Portugal. I agree that historically, they absolutely deserved a title - they were so close to winning a title so often in their history, and they sure are an important force in world football. But it's disappointing that they won with probably the most defensive tactics in their entire history. The days of a Portuguese "jogo bonito" are long ago.

Compared to Brazil 2014, France 2016 was by far the less exciting tournament. But bearing in mind what happened in France last year, it's almost relieving that we rather got bored than anything else during this tournament. Even if they did a bad job at first in dealing with the English and Russian hooligans, the French police, armed forces and security workers ensured a safe and calm tournament, and this is probably the biggest achievement of all during Euro 2016.

Football-wise, we had some (albeit few) highlights, of course: Portugal-Hungary was surprisingly exciting, Iceland and Wales showed stunning performances and Germany-Italy was even more of a thriller than many of us expected beforehand anyway. At the same time, especially Ireland's, Iceland's and Northern Ireland's fans won our hearts. So there will still be quite a few things to remember, even if Brazil 2014 was much more of a "festival of football". Here's hoping that we'll see a more offensive and less tactical tournament in two year's time in Russia! It would be a nice counterpoint to the fact that Russia got the World Cup under somewhat shady conditions and that Russia currently is the pariah of world sports.

In any case: Merci beaucoup, la France! Vous pouvez être fiers de ce que vous avez obtenu (même si le résultat de la finale est décevant pour vous)!