IRB Awards

Alexjc

They can spread the games across Britain and Europe, but why would they want to? Tournaments spread as thinly as 1991 and 1999 were are incredibly disjointed. I fear 2007 will go down the same road. The best tournaments have been the ones with single hosts - South Africa 1995, Australia 2003. We in the northern hemisphere should learn those lessons and, at the very most, go for joint bids only.

At some stage in the future. But my view is that 2011 was the right time to go global. The IRB have missed a golden opportunity and any hope they had of gaining Olympic recognition has been lost for some time to come.

I don’t think you realize that there was no chance after 2011 for NZ. The NZRU made it clear from the start that this was NZs last chance of getting this and that they were not going to go down wondering if we could have hosted it. After 2011 the world cup is going to go to new destinations and I can see more countries wanting to host this event after a new frontier hosts e.g. Japan. Big countries that NZ can’t compete with. We are a small country with limited resources. 2011 was our last chance and I think the IRB picked up on that.

Could someone please explain how exactly the WC is going to grow so it is too big for its traditional power base countries like NZ?

I mean, are we likely to see more teams admitted to the tournament when there's already probably too many already? Is the IRB going to start demanding only 100,000+ stadiums (even the UIOC and FIFA now don't insist on that)? Too many people going to see it (host nations already take up the bulk of audiences at such events, only really hard core, and rich, fans travel to overseas countries for events like the Olympics and FIFA and IRB World Cups)? Will the game suddenly become numvber one sport in new markets like the US and Japan (it would be nice if it did, and we all hope the game will get more popular in such countries, but I don't think anybody expects it to ever challenge for dominance in those markets)?

Don't get me wrong, the "This is our last and only chance to host" argument by NZ was a clever one _ it appealed to the emotions, indeed is a kind of emotional blackmail argument _ but it really doesn't stand up to logic. You're saying NZ could never compete with competition for hosting like Japan, but isn't that what they just did?  No, countries like NZ, South Africa, the home nations and Australia will always have an extra "X" factor in their efforts to host, and will inevitably host more tournaments. Indeed, if the game does spread and grow as much as we would like it to, such home hostings will become all the more special and poignant. But that's the thing, NOW would be a good time to spread andd evangelise, later on to celebrate the games roots.

Look I’m sorry if I sound selfish but I really don’t care if the so-called “divine key to globalize rugby” has to wait 4 more year to host.

This has just really ruined it for me but I should have seen it coming. We are going to be reminded all the way up to 2011, how much we don’t deserve this, how much we have screwed up global rugby. Why don’t we just give the World Cup to Japan just to shut the world up? I was really existed when we won, at last NZ gets to host a world sporting event but it’s not worth it when everyone doesn’t think you deserve it.

Look I’m sorry if I sound selfish but I really don’t care if the so-called “divine key to globalize rugby” has to wait 4 more year to host.

This has just really ruined it for me but I should have seen it coming. We are going to be reminded all the way up to 2011, how much we don’t deserve this, how much we have screwed up global rugby. Why don’t we just give the World Cup to Japan just to shut the world up? I was really existed when we won, at last NZ gets to host a world sporting event but it’s not worth it when everyone doesn’t think you deserve it.

Well, I've certainly expressed my opinions, but I do just wanna say I'm sorry if it's pissed off my Kiwi friends.

:blush:

I do realise, though sometimes forget, that countries like Japan regularly host events like the Summer and Winter Olympics, FIFA World Cup etc etc that smaller countries like NZ can only dream about. Though, actually, I do think you guys have reason to be more confident about your abilities to get some of these events than you yourselves believe.

I really hope we can let this whole matter rest.

Though, actually, I do think you guys have reason to be more confident about your abilities to get some of these events than you yourselves believe.

No worries mate but you are dead right there, we tend to be quite cynical in bidding for sporting event, just look at 2011, we all thought we had no chance but I think 2011 will give us a lot of confidence. Now only if we could stick it to the north and tell them to get over their southern winter olympics stigma.

:) I too have been left with that horrible feeling, not just from the GB site but from the rugby worlds perspective as well.

And it does seem the most animosity towards New Zealand is comming from England...

That just sounds very bitter.

I don't know how many times I have to say it but I'll say it again - my problem is with the IRB, not with New Zealand.

Archived