IRB Awards

Alexjc

Well, on top, of a hugely successful year for the All Blacks and New Zealand Rugby, they have dominated the winners' circle at the IRB end of year awards.

And, in an announcement that will surely bring as smile to the face of Olympic USA, Dan Carter was named Player of the Year, with the All Blacks Team of the Year and Graham Henry Coach of the Year.

cart.jpg

The full list of winners:

Player of the year: Daniel Carter (NZ).

Team of the year: New Zealand.

Coach of the year: Graham Henry (NZ).

Under-19 player of the year: Isaia Toeava (NZ).

Under-21 player of the year: Tatafu Polota-Nau (Aust).

Sevens team of the year: Fiji.

Sevens player of the year: Orene Ai'i (NZ).

Spirit of rugby award: Jean Pierre Rives (France).

Vernon Pugh award for distinguished service: Peter Crittle (Aust).

Referee award for distinguished service: Paddy O'Brien (NZ).

Women's personality of the year: Farah Palmer (NZ).

Development award: Robert Antonin (France).

Chairman's award: Tasker Watkins (Wales).

I hate to sound like a record that's got stuck but there's two years to go.

:) I think Mo Rush was meaning the 2011 hosting rights...That you absolutly object to NZ hosting arwebb.

I object to the fact that the IRB chucked such a wonderful opportunity to globalise this fantastic sport out with the rubbish.

:( So now we New Zealanders are rubbish??...arwebb?

Oh we know that better than anyone else Arwebb, 1999 and 2003 are still fresh in our minds. You just wait and see, the international media will build up the All Blacks as ‘insensible” and if we bowl out in the semis or final we will be labelled as ‘chokers’ even though we were clearly not the best team in the competition.

At some stage in the future. But my view is that 2011 was the right time to go global. The IRB have missed a golden opportunity and any hope they had of gaining Olympic recognition has been lost for some time to come.

:( All of a sudden this thread is not making sense...

Anyhow, congratulations to all the players and coaches that picked up awards at this years IRB awards. :D

Oh we know that better than anyone else Arwebb, 1999 and 2003 are still fresh in our minds. You just wait and see, the international media will build up the All Blacks as ‘insensible” and if we bowl out in the semis or final we will be labelled as ‘chokers’ even though we were clearly not the best team in the competition.

I felt in 1999 you were the best team out there and it was just a wonderful second half by the French in that semi-final which beat you.

At some stage in the future. But my view is that 2011 was the right time to go global. The IRB have missed a golden opportunity and any hope they had of gaining Olympic recognition has been lost for some time to come.

Rugby 7’s is already by far a more global game than 15’s, You already have major competitions in Dubai, Singapore, Hong Kong, Los Angeles and Argentina. Rugby 7’s should already be an Olympic Sport.

I felt in 1999 you were the best team out there and it was just a wonderful second half by the French in that semi-final which beat you.

The fact that we lost showed that we weren’t the best team, a team is only as good as they perform on the day.

I don’t think you realize that there was no chance after 2011 for NZ. The NZRU made it clear from the start that this was NZs last chance of getting this and that they were not going to go down wondering if we could have hosted it. After 2011 the world cup is going to go to new destinations and I can see more countries wanting to host this event after a new frontier hosts e.g. Japan. Big countries that NZ can’t compete with. We are a small country with limited resources. 2011 was our last chance and I think the IRB picked up on that.

Rugby 7’s is already by far a more global game than 15’s, You already have major competitions in Dubai, Singapore, Hong Kong, Los Angeles and Argentina. Rugby 7’s should already be an Olympic Sport.

As much as what you have said about Sevens being more global is true, wasn't it made clear that globalising the 15-man game was key to Olympic recognition?

The fact that we lost showed that we weren’t the best team, a team is only as good as they perform on the day.

:( We were DEFINATLY not the best team... There was a player v play split in the team as well as Player v coach(John Hart) split.  The AB culture of drinking, arrogance and abject superiorty of the 1991 WC had reared it's ugly head again.

Well done to France for knocking us out!!!

As for 2003, it was the coaching staff that had the problem, so the ABs were WOEFULLY underprepared as Wales nearly found out, and Australia did.

I can tell you noe that under Grahame Henry, the ABs are being prepared, phsyically and mentally for 2007!

As much as what you have said about Sevens being more global is true, wasn't it made clear that globalising the 15-man game was key to Olympic recognition?

Is it? Did the IOC say this?

I don’t think you realize that there was no chance after 2011 for NZ. The NZRU made it clear from the start that this was NZs last chance of getting this and that they were not going to go down wondering if we could have hosted it. After 2011 the world cup is going to go to new destinations and I can see more countries wanting to host this event after a new frontier hosts e.g. Japan. Big countries that NZ can’t compete with. We are a small country with limited resources. 2011 was our last chance and I think the IRB picked up on that.

If you argue that, that suggests that nations like Scotland, Ireland and Wales cannot bid in the future because they, too, are small nations and I don't think that washes. I think allowances will be made for such nations because they are among the game's heartland areas.

If you argue that, that suggests that nations like Scotland, Ireland and Wales cannot bid in the future because they, too, are small nations and I don't think that washes. I think allowances will be made for such nations because they are among the game's heartland areas.

You can't compeer Scotland, Ireland or Wales to New Zealand because A – The have greater economic resources and B – They have like 60m people living on there door step. NZ is the most remote country in the world. All we have is Australia and they are like 1500 miles away. Do you think FIFA would think of giving Uruguay the soccer world cup anytime soon out of good gesture? I don’t think so.

You can't compeer Scotland, Ireland or Wales to New Zealand because A – The have greater economic resources and B – They have like 60m people living on there door step. NZ is the most remote country in the world. All we have is Australia and they are like 1500 miles away. Do you think FIFA would think of giving Uruguay the soccer world cup anytime soon out of good gesture? I don’t think so.

If they wanted to host the tournament alone, I think it is a very fair comparison. These are comparatively small nations who are going to have to do a good deal work, particularly in terms of stadium building for Ireland and Wales, to host a World Cup, as New Zealand will have to do for 2011.

As long as there is reasonable capability of hosting the tournament, the IRB will clearly look very seriously at what appears on paper to be a less strong bid from an established union. That's my point.

You can't compare Scotland, Ireland or Wales to New Zealand because A – The have greater economic resources and B – They have like 60m people living on there door step. NZ is the most remote country in the world. All we have is Australia and they are like 1500 miles away.

:) Hence the reason that 2011 could be the last time NZ hosts for a very long time...Australia will in the next four WCs but NZ will need them for it's turn probibly forty years from then.

If they wanted to host the tournament alone, I think it is a very fair comparison. These are comparatively small nations who are going to have to do a good deal work, particularly in terms of stadium building for Ireland and Wales, to host a World Cup, as New Zealand will have to do for 2011.

As long as there is reasonable capability of hosting the tournament, the IRB will clearly look very seriously at what appears on paper to be a less strong bid from an established union. That's my point.

I disagree, 1) It is seriously unlikely that Scotland, Ireland, Wales would host on there own because they CAN spread the games over UK/Europe and 2) The IRB is going to want to make money, how do they make money? Buy filling the stadiums. About 3 million people live in a day’s drive of Auckland. 40 million people live within a day’s drive of Edinburgh or Cardiff. With the globalizing of rugby will come a huge growth in the size of the world cup. NZ is a small country at the bottom of the world. This is why kiwi are so excited about 2011, we get to host this event before it out grows us. If we want rugby to become a global sport then we have to release that we smaller countries are likely to be shunted aside for all the new players. But at lest kiwis can say we hosted the world cup one on our own and that’s all we want, you probably won’t hear from the NZRU for a looong time after 2011.

Archived